Jaime vs Ned - who was better?

hollowcrown

I think that with all the fighting Jaime's done that he'd be aware of Gregor's strengths and know how to counteract them. The Mountain's seriously dangerous, not to be taken lightly, and Jaime is aware of that. Oberyn's a Martell, maybe not the brightest family in Westeros. (How many Martell plots do we see succeed, as an example?)

Oberyn's succeeded. He got what he wanted, Gregor dying in agony

That's true, he doesn't really have any straight up duels in the books. If it was Aragorn at the same age as Jaime I'd actually consider it a really fair fight, and maybe even give Jaime the advantage. But the Aragorn in the books has about 40-50 years of experience on Jaime while physically still being about the same. That's the only reason I give Aragorn the edge.

LOTR>>>>>song of fire and ice

sometimes i wonder how people come up with Jaime is 'best' warrior. if you go by the text then is he a above average warrior. he survived the kingswood brotherhood and battles he was involved with in WOT5Ks. he has won a few tournaments. granted if he is your favorite character thats fine. but in reality we dont know how well the other knights lords and soldiers match up. there are certrain points in the books that give us insight.

i dont beileve that jaime would fair any better against others against the mountain that rides. Prince Oberyn strat was well thought out for his opponent.

and before people write th at GRRM states Jaime id the best ... he also was comparing him to Aragon

And i don't think anyone at the ToJ managed to beat Arthur Dayne with swordmanship skill. Even jaime would have had it difficult facing the legendary sword of the morning. But they did outnumber him, and i think Ned did command the men around to aproach Arthur Dayne in such a way that he didn't stand a chance, outmaneuvered so to say, and that this was how they could beat Arthur Dayne.

I thought Howland Reed defeated the Sword of the Morning using crannogman magic or the big reveal that he was Arthur Dayne's brother-in-law (If you believe the theory that Jyana Reed is Ashara Dayne.) or simply by getting him tangled in a net.

D and D really like the Starks.

Like the Starks, I'm on board with that. But I will never forgive them for the mauling they gave to Stannis Baratheon's character.

I think either Howland had the whole "I'm your new brother" reveal or he snuck up behind Arthur right before he was about to kill Ned, and stabbed him through the back of the knee with his trident. Similar to how the Lannister soldier stabbed Ned through the knew in the show.

Oberyn's succeeded. He got what he wanted, Gregor dying in agony

Yeah, I'm sure the big smear of blood on Gregor's gauntlet was a sarcastic smiley face. I think that fight can be considered an unlikely draw for Oberyn, he should have picked a less dramatic and more dishonorable way to take revenge.

Was is it Barristan said about a blade of grass, or what you had to eat the night before?

Ned better hope Jaime got absolutely wasted, ate a big fat curry, is standing in a puddle trying to deal with the sun in his eyes with a bigger hangover than even Tyrion gets, he might have a chance after that.

LOTR>>>>>song of fire and ice

sometimes i wonder how people come up with Jaime is 'best' warrior. if you go by the text then is he a above average warrior. he survived the kingswood brotherhood and battles he was involved with in WOT5Ks. he has won a few tournaments. granted if he is your favorite character thats fine. but in reality we dont know how well the other knights lords and soldiers match up. there are certrain points in the books that give us insight.

i dont beileve that jaime would fair any better against others against the mountain that rides. Prince Oberyn strat was well thought out for his opponent.

and before people write th at GRRM states Jaime id the best ... he also was comparing him to Aragon

Believe what you like! Lots of points in the book point to Jaime being an excellent fighter, including the opinions of every single skilled fighter who has a vocal or mental opinion about it, or anyone who has seen him fight . And Jaime himself, who while a dick has insight. And you know, the reputation thing. Where do people think reputations come from?

I am always puzzled by this question. Not implying that OP has said this, but it always seems to me that a character has to have great fighting prowess or they're lacking something.

I am always puzzled by this question. Not implying that OP has said this, but it always seems to me that a character has to have great fighting prowess or they're lacking something.

It's just good to hypothesise.

Ned and Stannis > Jaime and Robert in commanding, but vice versa for single combat. However Ned did survive the Tower of Joy so it's always cool to speculate on how he did that and if he is actually a secretly amazing warrior with some neat tricks up his sleeve.

Archived