[BOOK SPOILERS] What your non-reader friends/family thought and their predictions

My non reader hub thinks that Jaime and Bronn will have to fight. Cersei will call Jaime as champion and Bronn will fight for Tyrion and this was the point of their "lessons"

When asked why would Jaime fight for Cersei since she has been so nasty to him and their dynamic has been so altered over this issue, he replied that Jaime has said repeatedly how much he loves her, and although they are not "together" at the moment, years of being so tightly bonded will sway his loyalty to her over Tyrion.

Also he thought that the boy was eaten by the dragon (even though we saw the goat taken).

My mother thinks Tywin is going to have Shae killed because of his threat to Tyrion earlier about hanging the next whore he finds in his bed.

Your mother is quite the astute viewer. I, too, believe that will be her demise. Especially after Varys mentioned that Tywin doesn't make "idle threats" in 4 x 02.

I'm surprised, honestly, at so many people thinking Jaime will be either side's champion. I mean, I get it on the surface-- but think about it. He has one fucking hand and is shown to not be such a good fighter. Neither side is dumb enough to risk the outcome on Jaime.

My non reader hub thinks that Jaime and Bronn will have to fight. Cersei will call Jaime as champion and Bronn will fight for Tyrion and this was the point of their "lessons.

Huh. From a dramatic standpoint that actually makes a lot of sence. He seems to be pretty genre-savvy (although it's the wrong kind of genre-savvy in this case.

My roommate first though that Oberyn would fight in the trial by combat but I had to tell him that not only does Tyrion name someone, but Cersei does also. After that he figured out that Oberyn would fight for Tyrion and The Mountain would fight for Cersei. I had to remind him why Oberyn was actually in KL but after that he got it right away. Plus the trailers for the season completely give it away.

He also thought it would happen next episode, I told him he's gonna have to wait.. and so am I. :frown5:

I'm surprised, honestly, at so many people thinking Jaime will be either side's champion. I mean, I get it on the surface-- but think about it. He has one fucking hand and is shown to not be such a good fighter. Neither side is dumb enough to risk the outcome on Jaime.

They also don't realize who the Crown's champion will be yet, which we know will be set up next episode.

They also don't realize who the Crown's champion will be yet, which we know will be set up next episode.

I'm not surprised that most people aren't considering The Mountain. He's been name dropped a fair amount, but we haven't seen him since season 2. Once it's revealed, there will be a collective, "Ahhh, that makes sense..." followed by.. "Oberyn vs the Mountain? HOLY SHIT IT'S GOIN DOWN"

My Unsullied roommates caught on to the "surprise witness" everyone waits to see turning out to be Shae, but think Bronn is going to champion Tyrion again. They can't guess who the Crown's champion will be, though, but didn't think it will be Jaime, due to the lack of his hand. I think they're gonna be blown away once they find out.

All my unsullied friends care about is "Khaleesi" and "when is she coming to Westeros". It's a shame, though by the end the Trial had peaked their interest I think.

Repeat the soundbite where she says she will stay in Meereen over and over until they realign their priorities.

Yes, but he has been taking lessons. In another show/book/Disney adaptation, that would be enough for him to activate the superpower of love and beat the Crown's champion :lol:

They said the Titan of Braavos was badass.

They thought it was nice seeing "Mycroft" being Tycho Nestorious.

They thought that Ramsay was going to rape Theon, drown him, or that his penis was stuffed in the washcloth. We also remarked how that bath could be painful with all those sores.

They're calling Hizdahr zo Loraq "Lenny Kravitz,"

They thought it was BS that Dontos and the necklace were found.

They think that the Small Council will send in the Mountain to hunt down the Hound.

They predicted Shae being the surprise witness moments before she stepped in.

They think Shae is going to try to break Tyrion out in upcoming episodes and that Tywin or Cersei would make good on previous threats and kill her. (As I predicted as a change.)

They all thought it was sweet that Jaime was willing to sacrifice for Tyrion and rooted on Tyrion when he had his outburst.

We then had a debate on who would fight in the trial by combat. Some at first thought that Jaime would fight for Tyrion and die, thus completing his arc of redemption. Another thought that Cersei would pick Jaime to force him into choosing his own life or Tyrion's, since she now hates Jaime too for raping her next to her dead son. Or that Cersei would make Jaime and Bronn fight to the death as one final act of vengeance against Tyrion. They're all afraid for these characters.

The belief among my friends is that Jaime as the Hand of the King's Son, Queen's Brother, and King's Uncle would be untouchable and that whoever goes up against him would throw the fight.

The Unsullied I watch with had a clever little moment of thinking that Loras will be Cersei's champion. Obviously Loras was hyped at as a jouster, but I don't think his weaknesses in real fights were ever addressed in the TV series, so there's no reason to think he'd do terribly.

I liked the idea. If he wins, Tyrion dies. If he loses, then there's a problem out of Cersei's back, since it will be hard to find another husband for her.

My unsullied boyfriend hasn't seen any of the trailers, so he hasn't seen the shots of Oberyn and the Mountain fighting.

Consequently that means he thinks Jaime is going to volunteer for Tyrion. I was like "What? Really? He has only one hand!" And he said "Yeah, but he's training with the other hand."

Silly sweet summer child.

He's also absolutely one hundred percent certain that Tyrion is going to survive. Or rather ... win his trial. Or ... just somehow manage to evade death. I can't wait for the end of episode 8 ... and then to have him proven right by episode 10.

I think we can all bank on the Oberyn/Tyrion scene from the books because we still haven't had the "if you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place" line in the show yet, and I can't imagine that line happening under any other context.

one of my biggest fears was that Shae's betrayal on TV wouldn't be as shocking, confusing, and sad as in the books, and lo and behold, it wasn't for my non-reader friend. He was confused about why I would ask him if it was shocking at all since it was 'obviously because Tyrion broke her heart' (in e3 or 4)

He found it more shocking that Tyrion would ask for a trial by combat (and also he predicted that Jaime would refuse to fight for Tyrion because Tyrion lashed out and fucked up Jaime's plan to save him)

My other friend had some interesting predictions... that Dany would slowly grow tired/bored and powerless, and 1 or 2 of her dragons would be killed, leaving her to slowly spiral back to where she started lol. Another prediction was that Bronn would fight Jaime for Tyrion, lose, and Tyrion would die because "I ignored all the warning signs for Ned Stark and don't want to be oblivious to those pointing to Tyrion's demise"

Somehow my friends already quite easily predicted the oberyn vs The Mountain matchup. It certainly helped that Twyin told Oberyn he would deliver Gregor to him earlier in the season. In hindsight I wish they hadn't included that scene, as it made the matchup more obvious to unsullied. They also are entertaining the thought that The Hound could come into play and fight The Mountain.

Yea seriously its like everyone forgot he lost his right hand. Honestly my friends didn't even really entertain Jaime as an option for very long for that reason.

Archived