[Book spoilers] Stannis is misusing is R'hllor creed

In the books the only red priest that interacts with Stannis is Melisandre (Thoros on Robert's court doesn't count because he was as bad a priest as there ever was). So something that may be overlooked on Stannis' trip to Braavos is that there is a major Red temple on the way from the Harbor to the Iron Bank, so why Stannis didn't bring his red woman to convince the red temple that he is Azor Ahai come again and that he could use some of their fanatics/money?

My crackpot theory is that the Braavosi red priests would instantly see past his burned sword that emits no heat and burn him as an infidel.

Because the temples on Essos answer to the High Priest Benerro (fire pope) in Volantis. If the story follows the novels then he should have declared that Dany was in fact AA. They do not want this revealed and they have also deliberately avoided Stannis or Melisandre becoming aware of Dany even though the Kings Landing small council is brilliantly informed. Especially since we learned for certain they aren't getting their information from Jorah anymore.

Because the temples on Essos answer to the High Priest Benerro (fire pope) in Volantis. If the story follows the novels then he should have declared that Dany was in fact AA. They do not want this revealed and they have also deliberately avoided Stannis or Melisandre becoming aware of Dany even though the Kings Landing small council is brilliantly informed. Especially since we learned for certain they aren't getting their information from Jorah anymore.

Plus , even in the books, Melisandre , to Stannis, is a means to an end, he is impressed with powers, which may actually just be coincidences , and slight of hand. He only plays lip service to R'hllor.

It's his wife who is the nut case.

It was an odd choice. I was hoping we might finally see Stannis get some great dialogue, but no. On the one hand, maybe it's okay since Book Stannis would never have gone to the IB in the first place. On the other hand, if he wasn't prepared to argue for himself, why did he go at all, and it further shows how the show feels about Stannis.

I can only wait with anticipation to see how they are going to turn him saving the NW into something negative.

The small council has the services of LF's turnip cart to deliver information at broadband speeds. Stannis relies on sailors for old-fashioned rumors.

It was an odd choice. I was hoping we might finally see Stannis get some great dialogue, but no. On the one hand, maybe it's okay since Book Stannis would never have gone to the IB in the first place. On the other hand, if he wasn't prepared to argue for himself, why did he go at all, and it further shows how the show feels about Stannis.

I can only wait with anticipation to see how they are going to turn him saving the NW into something negative.

i feel it plays more in to show!Stannis character...he's portrayed as a man who believes he is entitled to the throne...that people should just hand it to him on a silver platter...he feels no need to justify his claim or "beg" for help with it...so far, every time he's needed help, he's sent davos to treat with people to win them over to his cause...

i feel if he gave that lecture/speech himself, it would have been worse for his perception...the audience would just think he's continuing to be a pompous, arrogant, self-righteous jerk...davos (whom most people generally like) standing up and defending stannis again, talking about all his positive qualities does give the audience at least some reason to consider that he might not be such a bad guy...so when he does go to help the NW (unless they show that someone else is steering him towards it), it wont be a surprise to the unsullied audience who hate him...

though truthfully, i always felt the stannis might have gone there more for the NW resources than to actually help and be a good king...

:uhoh: dont hate me!

My crackpot theory is that the Braavosi red priests would instantly see past his burned sword that emits no heat and burn him as an infidel.

sadly, show!Stannis has no Lightbringer...at least nothing like what was described in the books,,,it was something i was really hoping to see..

I think that was the best compromise they could do given how they wrote him going to Braavos in the first place. Stannis is no great talker and doesn't really need to ("Come with me and take the city!"). He presented his case to the IB and didn't sugar coat it and neither did he need to in his own eyes. He gave Davos a "you had your chance Onion Knight" look and Davos took initiative. Wouldn't really fit for Stannis to praise himself or need to explain why he is the one who should get the loan.

So all in all they did the best they could with the way they wrote his character so far.

though truthfully, i always felt the stannis might have gone there more for the NW resources than to actually help and be a good king...

What?! No way. For me, this was the point in the story when I realized that Stannis actually cares about his Kingdom, and not just being King. It's the point where Stannis actually starts to try to heal the war torn kingdom instead of shedding more unnecessary blood. Plus, Stannis brought more resources than he gained anyway. He arguably only gained a new spot to keep the majority of his host. Whereas he gave the Night's Watch several garrisoned castles.

What?! No way. For me, this was the point in the story when I realized that Stannis actually cares about his Kingdom, and not just being King. It's the point where Stannis actually starts to try to heal the war torn kingdom instead of shedding more unnecessary blood. Plus, Stannis brought more resources than he gained anyway. He arguably only gained a new spot to keep the majority of his host. Whereas he gave the Night's Watch several garrisoned castles.

i'll re-read the books in a few weeks to see if get your POV...

from what i remember, it seemed Stannis only agreed to go to aide of NW after Davos convinces him that the people of Westeros would want a king who defends the realm...which made me think that he did it for the publicity...

then at the wall, i seem to rmr him initially wanting to recruit the NW to his cause, Jon had to negotiate like "a fish wife" to get the deal that he did, men to garrison the empty castles and ships...stannis also wanted to use Jon to get Winterfell and the north to his cause, failed in that because he got the LC position...

in short, i dont rmr book!stannis being polar opposite of show!stannis...infact, show!stannis seems to help me understand book!stannis a bit better...

but as i said, i will re-read all the books after the seaons done, will try to read with fresh eyes to see if i find something different

Thoros can do something Melisandre can not do, at least yet.

Thoros isn't the one doing it...he says it himself to Mel...plus given that Berric was the one who passed his "gift" to LSH, it makes me think Thoros was just the vessel, but Rh'llor is passing the spirit among specific people for a specific purpose...

plus...dont forget Mel gave birth to shadow baby/assassin...something Thoros probably cant do :lmao:

i feel if he gave that lecture/speech himself, it would have been worse for his perception...the audience would just think he's continuing to be a pompous, arrogant, self-righteous jerk...davos (whom most people generally like) standing up and defending stannis again, talking about all his positive qualities does give the audience at least some reason to consider that he might not be such a bad guy...so when he does go to help the NW (unless they show that someone else is steering him towards it), it wont be a surprise to the unsullied audience who hate him...

Agree with everything you said here. Also, check out the look on Stannis' face when Davos gives his speech. That's the look of somebody who has never in his life had anybody speak up for him as passionately as Davos had. Kind of heartwarming when you think about it and fits perfectly with Stannis' back story as the typical middle child.

Archived