Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

Arya is my absolute favorite character. I love how she started off as a sweet, plucky little tomboy who from the time she left Winterfell has been subjected to horrors that no one should ever face. She faces monsters like Gregor and Roose Bolton and the Tickler and is there for both Ned's execution and the Red Wedding. Most of us would have fallen apart if we had to face a fraction of what Arya did. Instead she manages to survive it all but she changes, becoming more angry and ruthless and much more complex. She brave, realistic, resourceful, determined, almost unbelievably strong and is most off all a wolf and a hunter.

@Lady of Dragonstone

How the heck does Arya have "brute show force type of Strength"? She is a skinny 11 year old who is decent with a sword for a girl her age but without any special physical strength. Arya can't intimidate anyone and she knows it. She is constantly overpowered by stronger men and her most successful acts like forcing Jaqen to help her free those men in Harrenhall and even her escape in Harrenhall were all due to her intelligence and quick thinking. She didn't slash and kill people left and right to free the Northmen and she was a hostage most of the time post AGOT so she couldn't even threaten people. Dany uses more "brute force" when she threatens people with her dragons than Arya does.

Arya and Dany were two of my top 4 favourite characters early on, but both have really fallen off. Arya for becoming an increasingly disturbing callous mass murderer, and Dany for becoming increasingly boring and dumb.

But I blame the latter mostly on GRRM's need to spin her wheels while he untied the knot and made up for 5 lost years, so I have hopes that she's regain her form. Arya...eh, it honestly kinda hurts to look at what she's become, so I doubt that reverses field.

In the meanwhile, most of the female character's I've liked would qualify more as minor: QOT, Marg, Arianne...closer to major, but like her least of these people... Myrcella, Shireen, Val, Lemore, Oberyn's paramour who seems v. cool in limited glimpses.

Alleras really intrigued me, and I would LOVE to see more of her, but again, very minor at this point. Mel is a bit like Stannis without the hypocrisy: interesting, enjoy reading about her, but also does some pretty reprehensible things.

Which leaves me with these 2: Brienne, who I increasingly like, although I will be really annoyed if she and Jaime become lovers. She has one of the most truly heroic acts in the entire series, and she did it knowingly and for all the right reasons.

And Cat. Cat frustrates me a lot. Her hypocrisy is a problem, and w/e straw man people wanna slay to overlook it, her treatment of Jon as a child is hard to swallow, but part of that is that I hold her to a higher standard because I think she's a better person than most. And she makes a few incredibly dumb decisions. But she's sort of like Robb for me; I didn't fully appreciate her until she was gone. In-Cat I prefer to pretend doesn't exist.

Oh, another minor character who was fun was...Teanna? Can't recall spelling. The woman who was doing unto Cersei, and unto whom Cersei was trying to do Robert. She was sharp and interesting, and her sudden stone wall whenever her child was mentioned was admirable.

She spent most of the books being very unlikable, but Sansa's had moments. And while I think this vision of her becoming a major political player stretches credulity, I think she still has time to more fully realize the person she's been in those moments than the person she's been most of the rest of the time, who was either spoiled brat or traumatized child who has numbed herself just to try and survive. I have more hope for her than I do for Arya, which is sad for me.

Always admired Sansa. I think she is one of GRRM's more realistic and relatable characters because I can't imagine any adolescent girl reacting any differently from what she has. Though she is passive, she has an admirable sense of strength that I think is remarkable considering all she has had to endure.

Brienne - one of the last true "knights" in the series. I think it's amazing she upholds her honour and loyalty regardless of whatever she has to endure to keep it.

Catelyn - I think her strength is amazing. I feel she's also quite politically astute when she isn't too embroiled in the traumas her family faces to see things logically. Imho, she's one of the strongest female characters of the series.

I don't really like most of the women in Ice and Fire. Don't get me wrong, there are tons of books in which I love female characters! I just don't feel like Ice and Fire is one of them.

But if I had to choose, i would choose Sansa or Asha, I guess. Maybe Brienne, too.

Sansa - she is a very relatable, realistic character with so much innate strength

Ellaria - a woman who is both sexy and kind, who is clever enough to see through the circle of revenge and loves her children over everything else

Alys Karstark - a woman who very much knows what she does and doesn't want and is not afraid of dangers on her way to get it

Missandei - she is such a nice and clever girl, how can you not like her?

Arya - again, a very relatable character

Definitely Arya, and she has been since my first read. I have a whole arsenal of excuses for every murder she commits and refuse to acknowledge she ever did anything wrong :p

I quite like Brienne, Olenna, Osha, Sansa, Margaery, and Asha as well.

Archived