Favorite female character?

Defeatarion

Cat -- I'm deeply sympathetic to Cat for many reasons, not the least of which is the stress of motherhood that she contends with. Add to that Cersei and Cat are good foils for one another for their similar roles of mothers and woman in power. Cat is one of the tragedies of the series. I would love to see her get some redemption for her pain.

Cersei -- well, Cersei's both infuriating and fun to read, kinda like watching the Desperate Housewives of Kings Landing. Plus, she also gives us another PoV of motherhood in the series.

Sansa -- resembles the Jane Austen-type heroine for me, like a hybrid of Emma Woodhouse-Catherine Morland, with some Elizabeth Bennett in future books perhaps. Her arc is much more mundane, profoundly feminine than nearly every other ASOIAF character.

And I also like the spunky, outspoken ladies Genna Lannister, QoT, Lyanna Mormont.

Cat -- I'm deeply sympathetic to Cat for many reasons, not the least of which is the stress of motherhood that she contends with. Add to that Cersei and Cat are good foils for one another for their similar roles of mothers and woman in power. Cat is one of the tragedies of the series. I would love to see her get some redemption for her pain.

Cersei -- well, Cersei's both infuriating and fun to read, kinda like watching the Desperate Housewives of Kings Landing. Plus, she also gives us another PoV of motherhood in the series.

Sansa -- resembles the Jane Austen-type heroine for me, like a hybrid of Emma Woodhouse-Catherine Morland, with some Elizabeth Bennett in future books perhaps. Her arc is much more mundane, profoundly feminine than nearly every other ASOIAF character.

And I also like the spunky, outspoken ladies Genna Lannister, QoT, Lyanna Mormont.

Isn't Sansa more Jane than Elizabeth?

Edit: oh, hey! Just saw who it was! How've you been?

There's so many............

Dany comes to mind immediately. But then Ollena is an utter badass politically but a lot of my favorite scenes from her are show additions, same with Margaery. Sansa is shaping up well, I enjoy Brienne's learn experience, same for Arianne. Cersei and Catelyn are undserstandable, Lady Stoneheart is enjoyable for her lack of fucks given. Ygritte was pretty good, I enjoy Val's humor. Shireen's pretty cool and full of life despite her greyscale and her parents being a female elephant, religious fanatic with a mustache and the Pure Iron Mannis, respectively. Missandei is pretty clever. Mya Stone for the little we meet her for, Meera Reed, Alys Karstark. Almost forgot about Arya who will definitely play a big part in the things to come.

Then again I like most characters and the only character I hate without reservation is Walder Frey.

Shireen again- what I like about her is that while she been mocked and consider a freak in the society of westeros like Tyrion, it haven't change her personality. also if the Elder Scroll game were in the same universe as Song of ice and fire, Shireen is the type of Mortal Malacath would protect and might have an army of Orcimer to protect her. I also thinks it cool that she befriended a giant and maybe befriended Ghost. Unlike Marg, we know what Shireen's personality is kind. Unlike Sansa, Shireen's parents rarely pay attention to her. While Sansa more than likely had lots of friends, Shireen had only 3 in Patchface,Edric Storm,and Wun Weg. While Sansa was having a social life , Shireen was reading alone. While Sansa was learning needlework and getting praise, Shireen was learning about history. While Sansa was spoiled and got a lot in life, Shireen was denied so much things. I admit Sansa experience horrors she didn't deserve but she didn't care about what would happen to Ayra after Joffrey was attack. She wished Ayra dead even through Arya defended Lady. Sansa look down to Jon Snow because Jon was a bastard, Shireen befriended bastards like Jon Snow and Edric Storm. She even miss Edric and didn't care that he was a bastard. Shireen is a foil to Sansa. Shireen is least likely to be a snob. Like Samwell represent readers , Shireen could represent the readers when we were kids reading about things like dragons and giants. Shireen and Ayra are simular, They are the same age and are foils of Sansa.

I like many of them but Daenerys is by far my favorite. She is a really complex and multifaceted character and I believe the reason why she is so polarizing is because many readers only see the good/bad sides of her and ignore the rest, which doesn't do her character justice.

There are so many contradictory aspects united in this one character. She is one of the most compassionate and selfless characters, yet she can be very cruel and impulsive and entitled. She is incredibly strong but sometimes also weak. She believes in justice and helping those who cannot help themselves, even if helping them gains her nothing, but in her black and white world views she often cannot decide on real justice. She is surrounded by so many people and has thousands of followers yet she is one of the loneliest characters in the story. She wants to trust her people but her past experiences with betrayals and the prophecies from the Undying and Quaithe make her so paranoid that she doesn't know if she can even trust those closest to her. She is queen and mother to many, yet she has no home and doesn't know where she belongs. All her titles are just her way of trying to find out who she is. She has no home, no one to guide her, no family to turn to, so she has to find a purpose for herself. She tries being Mhysa, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi and wife, Queen and so on because she doesn't know who she is and what she really should do. She has so many admirable qualities but also some really big flaws and she is far from perfect. And despite being some prophecied, magical and deified specialty she's just a girl and a human being. That's why I like her.

I like many of them but Daenerys is by far my favorite. She is a really complex and multifaceted character and I believe the reason why she is so polarizing is because many readers only see the good/bad sides of her and ignore the rest, which doesn't do her character justice.

There are so many contradictory aspects united in this one character. She is one of the most compassionate and selfless characters, yet she can be very cruel and impulsive and entitled. She is incredibly strong but sometimes also weak. She believes in justice and helping those who cannot help themselves, even if helping them gains her nothing, but in her black and white world views she often cannot decide on real justice. She is surrounded by so many people and has thousands of followers yet she is one of the loneliest characters in the story. She wants to trust her people but her past experiences with betrayals and the prophecies from the Undying and Quaithe make her so paranoid that she doesn't know if she can even trust those closest to her. She is queen and mother to many, yet she has no home and doesn't know where she belongs. All her titles are just her way of trying to find out who she is. She has no home, no one to guide her, no family to turn to, so she has to find a purpose for herself. She tries being Mhysa, Mother of Dragons, Khaleesi and wife, Queen and so on because she doesn't know who she is and what she really should do. She has so many admirable qualities but also some really big flaws and she is far from perfect. And despite being some prophecied, magical and deified specialty she's just a girl and a human being. That's why I like her.

:agree: That's a great description of Dany.

Shireen again- what I like about her is that while she been mocked and consider a freak in the society of westeros like Tyrion, it haven't change her personality. also if the Elder Scroll game were in the same universe as Song of ice and fire, Shireen is the type of Mortal Malacath would protect and might have an army of Orcimer to protect her. I also thinks it cool that she befriended a giant and maybe befriended Ghost. Unlike Marg, we know what Shireen's personality is kind. Unlike Sansa, Shireen's parents rarely pay attention to her. While Sansa more than likely had lots of friends, Shireen had only 3 in Patchface,Edric Storm,and Wun Weg. While Sansa was having a social life , Shireen was reading alone. While Sansa was learning needlework and getting praise, Shireen was learning about history. While Sansa was spoiled and got a lot in life, Shireen was denied so much things.

i agree, shireen is one of the saddest characters in the series. her life seems so dismal and lonely but i bolded the part that i don't think is dismal at all. i don't think it's bad to be studying and reading rather than doing needlepoint. i also like the extra aggresiveness her show personality has.

Isn't Sansa more Jane than Elizabeth?

Edit: oh, hey! Just saw who it was! How've you been?

Hey you! Didn't you ask once ask me James about the brouhaha over the Wet Shirt? :-)

I'll grant that Sansa is like Jane insofar as she's the prettier, older sister whom all the guys love. But Sansa's internal struggles to keep it all together in the midst of supreme disappointment (seems an understatement given the deaths of her parents and brother) draw more from Austen's stronger heroines -- Elizabeth, Fanny. Of course Austen's battlefield is the drawing room not Westeros, and her heroines disposed of the assholes soon enough. Sansa is still stuck with them.

Hey you! Didn't you ask once ask me James about the brouhaha over the Wet Shirt? :-)

I'll grant that Sansa is like Jane insofar as she's the prettier, older sister whom all the guys love. But Sansa's internal struggles to keep it all together in the midst of supreme disappointment (seems an understatement given the deaths of her parents and brother) draw more from Austen's stronger heroines -- Elizabeth, Fanny. Of course Austen's battlefield is the drawing room not Westeros, and her heroines disposed of the assholes soon enough. Sansa is still stuck with them.

Lol, yes! I am apparently obsessed with P&P, which in that I own 3 versions on DVD plus the book, is probably not actually a joke.

But for Sansa, I meant somewhat the externals, but also the winningness to subliminate her identity in others, the conventionality of her wants and needs, the significant desire to sustain the superficial elements you mention in order to achieve what she thinks will be happiness, etc. whereas some of Lizzie's strongest qualities ( ability to relate to her father, significant desire for autonomy over conventionaly defined role, enjoyment of intellectual fencing, etc.) seem strongly contradicted by Sansa and if not evident in the negative in Jane, at least more likely to be. If that makes sense.

My interpretation depends on a few variables; like Sansa conventional for Westeros, maybe a bit less for the North, etc. And almost all of it if GoT/ life before that I mean. I see Jane also seeming to keep it together when things go wrong, IMO although we are not privy to her inner thoughts, the way in which she does so...sustain the exterior, seems to me a better approxomination of what Sansa does than Elizabeth. Mainly I mean in the context of Westeros, in relation to Arya, etc. Sansa is obviously more like any Georgian England character than most women of Westeros as just a straight up 1 to 1.

But as I've acknowledged, I don't GET Sansa in a way many seem to, so half of my picking at these scabs is me trying to find a way inside, if you get me. ( pause to appreciate the fact that I have probably just compared myself with a germ and/parasite, yegods.)

Good to talk to you again.

That is a terrific description of Dany, the only thing I would alter in it.....is the paranoia aspect provided by prophecies. If anything, I think Dany has a good grasp on prophecy being a double-edged sword that she shouldn't totally trust. I like that she while she believes certain things, the betrayals for instance, she doesn't go apeshit looking for ways to prevent it. My favorite line of yours.......I bolded.

Archived