(Book Spoilers) Speculating on events at the wall

AzorAhai42

Yeah those comments baffled me at first because I got trolled as hard as anyone for my beloved king's arrival and assumed all the Wall battles would be done and dusted by roll of credits 4.09. And my heart nearly broke (first when they didn't appear in the credits but I clung to a vain hope that they might have arranged to keep them out of the credits). I'm coming out of the fog now! I'm trying to think positive!

I just re-read the Jon treating with Mance part this morning to remind myself of what goes down with that battle and there are mammoths involved so yeah that could be tricksy CGI because they're going up against the knights.

And you know this show doesn't like to use horses so it's Kind of a Big Deal that there will be some used in the charge.

Also in the books Stannis' archers set fire to the Wildling camps. "How's that for the biggest fire the North has ever seen deserter."

Also in the books Stannis' archers set fire to the Wildling camps. "How's that for the biggest fire the North has ever seen deserter."

Ha! And that fecking owl is going down...I mean I thought it was going down in the episode yesterday with the amount of screentime it got. But it can wait ;)

Ha! And that fecking owl is going down...I mean I thought it was going down in the episode yesterday with the amount of screentime it got. But it can wait ;)

There's actually something better with having Stannis' arrival in episode 10. Don't get me wrong I still think that it should have been in episode 9, but think about it. Stannis is pretty much the only player whose doing well in the season finale. Dany is chaining her dragons and possibly getting bad news from Yunkai and the Lannisters lose Tywin, Tyrion and escapes and Varys also turns his cloak.

There's actually something better with having Stannis' arrival in episode 10. Don't get me wrong I still think that it should have been in episode 9, but think about it. Stannis is pretty much the only player whose doing well in the season finale. Dany is chaining her dragons and possibly getting bad news from Yunkai and the Lannisters lose Tywin, Tyrion and escapes and Varys also turns his cloak.

Well it will be the first season where his storyline ends on a real upswing.

Still set up nicely for him to be throwing his weight around the wall when we open S5. :devil:

Wall scenes from 4.10 preview - I know we all got badly burned by 4.09 but I don't understand people saying that the attack from Stannis on the wildlings will be held off until S5.

I don't think they're being serious. They're just joking about D&D fucking them over again and having all the Baratheon horsemen scenes be Bran's visions or something.

Dammit, I hadn't even thought of that :bawl:

Come the dawn on Monday, we shall see.

Well you will. I'm gonna wait for the evening and drink first that way I won't care.

It would be great to know this was the VFX heavy battle. I had actually thought it would be Bran and CotF against WW. (which, while somehow cool, might be a waste of time) I'm guessing exploding owl, mammoths and giants. (Please let Stan kill a giant) will do.

I just realized something. Remember when Alex Graves talked about a CGI heavy battle in episode 10. In the preview it appears that Bran and the company are not fighting the Others so that must mean that the battle is going to Stannis vs Wildlings.

Here's the quote:

"there’s a battle in the tenth episode that is so VFX heavy and so complex, even on a feature level, that won’t be done until June right before it airs.”

Well, it's either Stannis' arrival or Dany chaining up her dragons.

As for next week, I think we're going to get Jon trying to kill Mance, nearly losing, Stannis arriving, battle with the Wildlings, Jon and Stannis meeting for the first time. All the election business and offering of Winterfell will be season 5.

Dany chaining up her dragons is not a battle, so it doesn't count. I can only see it being either Stannis' arrival or some small battle against wights in Bran's scenes. Maybe we'll see those giant spiders Old Nan mentioned.

As far as I can remember, Graves never said it was a "battle". He only mentioned a CGI-heavy sequence, which could be any number of things.

I think you guys may be conflating two interviews;

IIRC, Graves mentioned a CGI-heavy battle, which we just got. Then D&D talked about a crazy-expensive CGI-heavy scene in the finale, which is the most expensive scene in the series to date (Dany chaining dragons).

I think you guys may be conflating two interviews;

IIRC, Graves mentioned a CGI-heavy battle, which we just got. Then D&D talked about a crazy-expensive CGI-heavy scene in the finale, which is the most expensive scene in the series to date (Dany chaining dragons).

No he definitely said battle in in this interview.

"there’s a battle in the tenth episode that is so VFX heavy and so complex, even on a feature level, that won’t be done until June right before it airs."

No he definitely said battle in in this interview.

"there’s a battle in the tenth episode that is so VFX heavy and so complex, even on a feature level, that won’t be done until June right before it airs."

Every time I see that quote, I wonder--what does 'even on a feature level' mean, exactly?

Archived