(Book and Show Spoilers) Promo and Recap

Apparently the reason they recast Gregor is because they needed a massive guy who could pull off the athletics needed for the fight. Since Halfthor used to play basketball, he can move faster than your average bulked up gentleman which was a major incentive for hiring him.

Pragmatic casting... I like it. It's sad that they had to recast, but I think Halfthor is going to make a wonderful Mountain that Rides.

Btw, do any of you good sirs know: Where do helmets go?

i find it kind of hilarious that its taken arya and the hound an entire season to get from the riverlands..to the riverlands (almost at the vale maybe shes there now idk) but it will take stannis two episodes to sail to east watch and then treck it castle black. We should of gotten SOMETHING of them reminding us they are going to castle black in this past episode.

It's certainly not the first time they've left out somebody's nickname. "Red Viper", "Giant of Lannister", "Florian/Jonquil", etc.

yeah its weird...we got giant of lannister 3 seasons later when shae says it at the trial...likely we might get a reference to the red viper next episode, though hell die. Id like to hear someone call dany silver lady again like Mirri in season 1! this mhysa stuff is lammeee

i find it kind of hilarious that its taken arya and the hound an entire season to get from the riverlands..to the riverlands (almost at the vale maybe shes there now idk) but it will take stannis two episodes to sail to east watch and then treck it castle black. We should of gotten SOMETHING of them reminding us they are going to castle black in this past episode.

NO. Just no.

It needs to be a surprise.

Thank god you don't have anything to do with anything.

NO. Just no.

It needs to be a surprise.

Thank god you don't have anything to do with anything.

If they wanted it to be a surprise then why did they make the letter scene so explicit at the end of S3? Completely ignoring that now doesn't feel like it's a mystery where Stannis is going, it feels like D+D have just forgotten that Stannis is supposed to be going to The Wall.

If they wanted it to be a surprise then why did they make the letter scene so explicit at the end of S3? Completely ignoring that now doesn't feel like it's a mystery where Stannis is going, it feels like D+D have just forgotten that Stannis is supposed to be going to The Wall.

He means it needs to be a surprise when Stannis' forces show up in the nick of time. As it stands now in the show, it looks like they won't make it in time.

He means it needs to be a surprise when Stannis' forces show up in the nick of time. As it stands now in the show, it looks like they won't make it in time.

Well, in all honesty in the show it looks like Stannis has forgotten about the North entirely. It's like to preserve the mystery D+D deliberately wrote Stannis' arc as messily as possible so there was no way anyone could guess where Stannis will be showing up in E9. I agree that his arrival needs to be a surprise, but the way D+D have handled the surprise (especially as they could have just handled it in the same way Martin did) is awful.

Well, in all honesty in the show it looks like Stannis has forgotten about the North entirely. It's like to preserve the mystery D+D deliberately wrote Stannis' arc as messily as possible so there was no way anyone could guess where Stannis will be showing up in E9. I agree that his arrival needs to be a surprise, but the way D+D have handled the surprise (especially as they could have just handled it in the same way Martin did) is awful.

Save your thought till after episode 9

While I have very high opinion, unlike the writers, of non book readers' ability to remember stuff, I'm quite sure most of them forgot all about the storyline of someone 'they consider so boring'. Add to that all the hints towards Stannis going to KL and not stating that he is going to the North explicitly and you have a surprise.

It was always going to be difficult adapting the long pause of hearing nothing but remote rumours about Stannis in the book. Most Unsullied seem to believe he's now going to attack the Lannisters, so that worked out, if a bit messy.

Save your thought till after episode 9

It won't make any difference. No matter how badass Stannis' arrival is it doesn't change the fact that the lead up to it was handled terribly.

While I have very high opinion, unlike the writers, of non book readers' ability to remember stuff, I'm quite sure most of them forgot all about the storyline of someone 'they consider so boring'. Add to that all the hints towards Stannis going to KL and not stating that he is going to the North explicitly and you have a surprise.

That's exactly my point. At the end of S3 they do explicitly tell us that Stannis is going to go North and rescue the NW. But in S4, all mentions of fighting the WWs have vanished and it's treated as though Stannis is still hellbent on taking Kings Landing. There's a complete disconnect between the story we were promised for Stannis at the end of S3 and the story we got in S4. And that is the only reason viewers consider the plot boring - because Stannis' arc has been written so terribly. It'll be a surprise, but it will be one that doesn't make any sense.

They're trying to make the viewers forget so it'll be more surprising. They HAVE mentioned the Wall this season, though.

It won't make any difference. No matter how badass Stannis' arrival is it doesn't change the fact that the lead up to it was handled terribly.

That's exactly my point. At the end of S3 they do explicitly tell us that Stannis is going to go North and rescue the NW. But in S4, all mentions of fighting the WWs have vanished and it's treated as though Stannis is still hellbent on taking Kings Landing. There's a complete disconnect between the story we were promised for Stannis at the end of S3 and the story we got in S4. And that is the only reason viewers consider the plot boring - because Stannis' arc has been written so terribly. It'll be a surprise, but it will be one that doesn't make any sense.

But...what does it matter what they think now? All that matters is what they'll think when he rescues the Wall. Who cares about what tricks writers employed prior to this event? It's all a smoke screen.

Not informing the viewers of something doesn't mean 'it doesn't make sense'. At no point they actually said 'I'm going to KL'. All there is are red herrings and disguising the truth. And I love that because we still got to see Stannis before the arrival and non book readers who forgot Mhysa scene are in for a wonderful surprise.

My prediction:

Opening Scene: Shae in bed with Tywin asking if she could come to see the fight, which he denies. He leaves to meet the small Council.; goes straight to ->

Small Council: Oberyn declares that he'll be Tyrions Champion. A very unhappy Cersie

Follow up Arya: Hounds wounds have festered and Arya leaves the Hound after he has received more wounds in another inKeep fight; goes straight to ->

Follow up Brienne: Stop at the same keep where they find the Hound and get attacked by the BWB

Follow up Theon: Theon is Reek impersonating as Theon -mentioning Reek alot

Follow up Sansa: She will tell the Lords of the Vale that she pushed Lysa back while she attacked her in an argument over her slapping the little prick Lord which made her fall backwards through the moon door.

Littlefingers lies wont look too bad because he was protecting his little daughter. No one will punish her since everyone was sick of Lysa anyways and since it was an accident...

Word will move on to : Winter is coming; goes straight to ->

Follow up Jon: Small folk fleeing to Castle Black. John sees Moletown burning at night.

Kingslanding: The Trial will turn out unexspected:

Final Scene: Tyrion shakes his head in disbelief and looks at Cercie which is grinning towards him, Jaime watches her and leaves in disgust.

They're trying to make the viewers forget so it'll be more surprising. They HAVE mentioned the Wall this season, though.

I realise that. But it comes at the cost of making them look like poor writers who forget their own plot lines. Why even mention Stannis is going to the Wall if you're going to immediately pretend he isn't. If you want to keep the element of surprise just do what Martin did.

Another take on how the episode might happen :

- Opening on Ramsay and Reek. Ramsay briefs Theon.

- Moat Cailin events.

- Reek returns with the Iron Born. Ramsay smiks and order to enchain them.

- Small Council. Oberyn declares he'll be the champion.

- Reactions.

- Stuff at Meereen.

- Vale. Sansa tells the Lords Declarants a lie about what happened, protecting Littlefinger.

- Maybe an after scene. Littlefinger thanking Sansa for what she's done.

- Attack on Mole's Town. Gilly escaping.

- Jon and Sam spotting MT burning from atop of the Wall. Sam cries for Gilly. Jon says they have to go down to Castle Black.

- They meet Gilly who has just arrived there. Jon gives a speech.

- Arya and the Hound. I really dont know how this one will turn out.

- Duel.

But...what does it matter what they think now? All that matters is what they'll think when he rescues the Wall. Who cares about what tricks writers employed prior to this event? It's all a smoke screen.

Not informing the viewers of something doesn't mean 'it doesn't make sense'. At no point they actually said 'I'm going to KL'. All there is are red herrings and disguising the truth. And I love that because we still got to see Stannis before the arrival and non book readers who forgot Mhysa scene are in for a wonderful surprise.

It matters because it's bad writing. Absolutely terrible writing. Not only may it impact how people see the climax of Stannis' story, but it's also dull to watch in it's own right. At the end of S3 we're told quite explicitly that Stannis will be going to the Wall. At the start of S4 he's brooding in Dragonstone with no indication whatsoever that he has any plans to go to the Wall. That isn't a red herring, that's just stupid. I guarantee you, when episode 9 comes around and all the Unsullied reflect on Stannis' arc they won't be saying "WoW what a great red herring Stannis' sulking was." They'll say "damn, the was some godawful writing there."

I realise that. But it comes at the cost of making them look like poor writers who forget their own plot lines. Why even mention Stannis is going to the Wall if you're going to immediately pretend he isn't. If you want to keep the element of surprise just do what Martin did.

10 months that passes between seasons is 'immediately'?

It matters because it's bad writing. Absolutely terrible writing. Not only may it impact how people see the climax of Stannis' story, but it's also dull to watch in it's own right. At the end of S3 we're told quite explicitly that Stannis will be going to the Wall. At the start of S4 he's brooding in Dragonstone with no indication whatsoever that he has any plans to go to the Wall. That isn't a red herring, that's just stupid. I guarantee you, when episode 9 comes around and all the Unsullied reflect on Stannis' arc they won't be saying "WoW what a great red herring Stannis' sulking was." They'll say "damn, the was some godawful writing there."

Terrible writing is that Dany/Daario scene last week. Not telling the audience things that spoil surprises is not terrible writing. Would you like to see Tywin checking out Shae's ass or random people mentioning 'I heard brotherhood is led by lady Stark'? I think not.

And I'm not sure in what universe was that bank scene 'dull'.

Archived