[BOOK SPOILERS] Oberyn appreciation...you are my champion.

timstanton

His death is going to hit me hard, you guys. Pedro has been absolutely fantastic.

That said, I want Gregor to smash his fucking head in (if he leaves him unrecognizable maybe Varys can switch him with some drunk and send him to Essos)

Great idea for a thread. I NEVER thought anything or anyone could make me love Oberyn more, but Pedro Pascal has done it. Seven Save Us All, I am going to miss that man.

The Red Viper...Elia's champion, Tyrion's champion, and mine. I don't think the character would regret the outcome (well, once ALL of Gregor is finally dead and buried, LOL) but DAMN, don't do it!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay, had to get that frustration out, I will miss him terribly. It may be a good thing it's a two week wait for the next epi. :crying:

"She unveiled the freak... Your head was a bit large, your arms and legs were a bit small, but no claw... No red eye, no tail between your legs... Just a tiny pink cock. We didn't try to hide our disappointment, "that's not a monster, we told Cersei. That's just a baby."

Oh man, the feels... :crying:

I do wish we had the line about Elia making those noises that young girls make at puppies and kittens, LOL

This is a particularly sad edit.

Dorne was ruled by a Princess (the mother of Doran, Elia and Oberyn), and it was the Reigning Princess of Dorne who brought Oberyn and Elia to Castly Rock... Where as in the show this is changed to a father...

This is a particularly sad edit.

Dorne was ruled by a Princess (the mother of Doran, Elia and Oberyn), and it was the Reigning Princess of Dorne who brought Oberyn and Elia to Castly Rock... Where as in the show this is changed to a father...

I always wonder why they change tiny things like this.

How can that be both cute and heartbreaking? LOL and :crying:

My heart stopped, I think, reading Oberyn's death and seeing and feeling the crushing of that beautiful face. The teeth being smashed by the mailed fist really got me. Too many root canals on my part, I think. Plus, I loved the hell out of Oberyn and didn't think we'd lose such a great character we had just met soooooooooooooooooo fast. What an idiot I can be, huh??

I do recall how it seemed the tavern brawl had The Hound first trying to smash that guy's face with his hand, but he couldn't quite do it or quite get the right grip going, and he settled for the face to the blade, over and over. That did immediately make me think of The Mountain. I think I stubbornly refused to finish the scene in my head, though.

I always wonder why they change tiny things like this.

I gotta admit, I do wonder on that. First, we lose a ruling woman, and a Princess of Dorne. But, I suspect, that while such things make me stop and wonder about why they take another strong woman from us.........I think it might mean we may never hear about the marriage scheme between the mothers. That would be crazy, come to think of it. The equation needs Cersei's bitterness about not getting Rhaegar and Oberyn's feelings on how that directly related to Elia's death. I could be wrong....I hope I'm wrong, hell......they gave Bronn to Lollys, LOL, maybe we will hear the Westerosi version of A Midsummer Night's Dream??

His death is going to hit me hard, you guys. Pedro has been absolutely fantastic.

That said, I want Gregor to smash his fucking head in (if he leaves him unrecognizable maybe Varys can switch him with some drunk and send him to Essos)

My new favorite crackpot. :wub:

I gotta admit, I do wonder on that. First, we lose a ruling woman, and a Princess of Dorne. But, I suspect, that while such things make me stop and wonder about why they take another strong woman from us.........I think it might mean we may never hear about the marriage scheme between the mothers. That would be crazy, come to think of it. The equation needs Cersei's bitterness about not getting Rhaegar and Oberyn's feelings on how that directly related to Elia's death. I could be wrong....I hope I'm wrong, hell......they gave Bronn to Lollys, LOL, maybe we will hear the Westerosi version of A Midsummer Night's Dream??

It's just a bizarre change to make.

I mean, at some point it means the writer was adapting the scene and he read "our mother took us to Casterly Rock" and he thought "hmmm no, should be their father" and then went through the effort of changing one word in a rather throwaway-ish line because he didn't like that a woman was ruling?

It's such an insidious way to work your agenda into your script.

Will be next week. Will hate to see Oberyn go and Ellaria become irregular.

I'm actually quite interested in where Ellaria will go from there. I don't quite remember what happened in the books. Did she stay in King's Landing or head back to Dorne?

I'm actually quite interested in where Ellaria will go from there. I don't quite remember what happened in the books. Did she stay in King's Landing or head back to Dorne?

Dorne. She made that speech about "when does it end" to Arianne, Doran, and the elder Sand Snakes.

Horrible thought but does anyone else think Oberyn's delivery in telling how Elia died hinted at a slight double meaning with the line about cutting Elia in half with his 'great sword'? Maybe hinting at the horror of the damage he caused by raping her?
He talked fondly about what a great mother she was and how much she loved children so maybe this is part of the rage behind the rape part of the famous
'you raped her, you murdered her. You killed her children!' line.
Not a pleasant thought but one that would fuel such a rage.

On the interactions from this season, I'm am buying the Oberyn poisoned Tywin story

Agreed. The whole, "everyone I want to get revenge on (paraphrased)" line kind of clinches that theory for me.

Me too. I was looking forward to seeing how they'd do the Red Wedding, and when watching "Rains of Castermere" I was somewhat surprised to feel a pit developing in my stomach at around the 40 minute mark of that episode - "Oh weird," I thought, "I guess I'm kind of nervous about seeing this."

But Oberyn? That pit has been in my stomach for a week or so already. In the jail scene with Tyrion, part of me was wishing Oberyn wouldn't volunteer. (And when you think about it, what would YOU find more fun to read? A bunch more chapters with Oberyn in them, or the post-Storm of Swords Tyrion chapters that we've got?)

I definitely have this pit in my stomach phenomena building too. I watched the shocking Red Wedding scene without too much flinching other than the un-written addition of them stabbing "Talisa" in her stomach - that was just shock value gruesome ... but I honestly don't know if I'm going to be able to keep from turning away if they do in fact keep this scene true to the books and have Clegane crush his head. Such a pretty face... and an elegant man (both the actor and his character) :crying:

I can't wait for that big bag of wind gets his face plowed in.

I know everyone loves the arrogant, loud mouth who is "doing this for his sister" (but, pray tell, what was all the other poisonings for?) and the actor on the show is doing a very good job ... playing an arrogant, hedonist who id seeking revenge for his sister,,, and its about as interesting for me as watching paint dry, The guy has had 15 years to get his vengeance... apparently he was waiting for juuuuuussst the right time.

Remember- in the books - this is a man who physically assaults some of the women he was with, then takes their children away from them. What a guy! He kills who he wants to, fucks who he wants to, mouths off to who he wants to, and lives- by-in-large- without any consequences whatsoever - because he's a "Prince of Dorne" and you can do that... and ... readers LOVE him for that.

I know people love Obreyn and try to give him that nice "consolation prize" at the end (*sniffle*... *sniffle* ... "But... he ... the... the Mountain eventually dies at the end ...." *sniffle*,... *sniffle*) but at the end of the day, the plan was never to end that fight with a giant fist in your teeth and a hole where your brain used to be.

Then again, it was an improvement ,....

Archived