[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

Nami

Holy fuck. QFT. They need someone who can step back and say wait a minute, this is stupid, this makes no sense, this is something this character would never do, etc.

I thought of another nitpick to add to the ones I mentioned earlier on this thread: no Marillion. More to the point, LF just killed Lysa, but he has no patsy to blame. Is he supposed to be able to just waltz into the Vale and kill its acting lord with no consequences??

The "they need someone" reminds me of all the Star Wars fans wishing George Lucas would stop directing Star Wars films, because although he has an awesome imagination, he is a terrible director. Now that Disney has its claws in it, <shrug> be careful what you wish for, I guess..

I also picked up on the absence of Marillion. Wonder if Petyr will stay that Lysa just "fell" out the door? That would tie everything up neatly, since they didn't waste time developing the relationship between Lysa and Marillion .

No she is not.

“No.” She wanted him to stay and hold her. One day he will go and not return, she thought. One

day some archer will put an arrow through his chest, or ten men will fall on him with spears and swords

and axes, ten would-be heroes. Five of them would die, but that would not make her grief easier to bear.

One day I will lose him, as I lost my sun-and-stars. But please gods, not today. “Come back to bed and

kiss me.” No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis. “I am your queen, and I command you to fuck

me.”

The bigger issue is tone. Dany tells Daario to take his clothes off in the same fashion she declares that slavery has ended.

I agree. This is not the only story they are messing up this way, all my favorite romances, what the hell is going on, to greater or lesser degrees. I wish they'd stay closer to the books with these things, the author does a really nice job with them.

“No.” She wanted him to stay and hold her. One day he will go and not return, she thought. One

day some archer will put an arrow through his chest, or ten men will fall on him with spears and swords

and axes, ten would-be heroes. Five of them would die, but that would not make her grief easier to bear.

One day I will lose him, as I lost my sun-and-stars. But please gods, not today. “Come back to bed and

kiss me.” No one had ever kissed her like Daario Naharis. “I am your queen, and I command you to fuck

me.”

That doesn't read as harsh as their scene last night was, to me at least. Compare their first coupling in the books to the show version.

Daario is an opportunist merc and Dany is an infatuated teen. Hardly any 'romance' there. That whole thing was silly in the books so I have no problem with how it's being dealt with in the show.

I think they have her as WAY too sexually sure of herself right now.

I really don't mind most of the changes. the arya pre training is interesting much more than her sitting with an old man for many episodes. I don't see for them another way to show here becoming a cool hearted killer. Same for the sex scene with darioo and thougth they managed very well for exemple the annoyance of jorah even though he shouldn't be here anymore. Showing some gratuis violence for the mountain can also be explained even though it is a bi vulgar as a process.

What really annoys me is how hey kepping messing up the wall arc. It is intersting to see the tension building up there but why make it about a argument that jon himself was very much against in the books? I mean there are a lot of arguments that could be made. Why this one?

And yet not a word about not finding Bran, which was supposedly the main reason for him to go to crasters keep. We keep having these same scene where jon desagrees with alister, jon is rebuked and humilated and nothing much.

there is also the fact that all the watch seems oblivious to the facts that there are wildlings south of the wall...weird.

even on a show viewer only perspective this arc doesn't make much sense

I agree. This is not the only story they are messing up this way, all my favorite romances, what the hell is going on, to greater or lesser degrees. I wish they'd stay closer to the books with these things, the author does a really nice job with them.

Yeah, Ygritte and Jon was weird, Sansa and Sandor(if you consider that romantic) was poorly done, Jaime and Cersei is...rapey, Loras and Renly was campy, etc.

The only romance that I felt was handled well was Dany and Drogo

That doesn't read as harsh as their scene last night was, to me at least. Compare their first coupling in the books to the show version.

No, because we're privy to her thoughts. TV as a medium has a way of flattening scenes, but I'd imagine the dialogue would be delivered in a same fashion. Also I kind of read it as her being randy/kinky. I see the complaints, but it's not one I share (maybe because I kind of hated the entire Daario subplot anyway).

No, because we're privy to her thoughts. TV as a medium has a way of flattening scenes, but I'd imagine the dialogue would be delivered in a same fashion. Also I kind of read it as her being randy/kinky. I see the complaints, but it's not one I share (maybe because I kind of hated the entire Daario subplot anyway).

i did as well, but the way i think of it, if they are going to do it, do it right...im ok with not showing the whole sex scene as it is pointless to the main plot....but come on..."do what you do best...take off your clothes" very very lame

my issue is that it brings down the quality of the show

TV Tyrion doesn't know about the diamonds. There was even a scene about it where he was trying to figure out what she was talking about.

So, you're positive he wasn't pretending in front of Shae? OK, but then, what about the actual diamonds? Where there any diamonds at all? And if yes, where did they came from? Varys?!

Daario is an absolute douchebag in the books.

But, I can see why Dany is infatuated with him. She's having a shit time and he provides her with some distraction and relief. This is after she's experimented with herself and Irri and is unsatisfied because it's not passionate. Plus he's got the bad boy thing going for him.

In the show, their relationship is just dull. No chemistry, no tension, nothing. I have a hard time believing this Daario could make Dany scream.

Yeah, they were both great, though Addy lacked some height, which could've been fixed quite easily with some high heels - he'd be perfect Robert that way, considering how good he was anyway. As for Bean, I find him very underrated in these forums. People go on and on about how this actor or that actor does a "phenomenal" job, but honestly, what Bean achieved is possibly unmatched. He carried the main storyline for the first nine episodes. Momoa was great, but he was a side character, just like Dinklage was in Season 1. I hate those snobbish descriptions like "he acted for other actors", but in Bean's case it can be rightully said. Aside from his not-loud-enough voice in which he delivered his final speech in "Baelor" (just a minor complain, the scene was very good overall), I can't find a fault in his performance. Even that terrible wig they forced on him couldn't ruin the character.

As for Gillen, I can't explain him. He was great in The Wire. He can deliver. What he does in GOT is amateurish. And, from what I know, he likes the books very much. He read all of them, and discussed his character with Martin. Perhaps that is the problem - Littlefinger is radically changed on TV, even Martin couldn't help but say so, and maybe that influences Gillen's performance. Just a thought.

Harry Lloyd was also brilliant as Viserys, but seem to be underrated

The cast from season 1 was great

I don't think PD is that awesome. I could agree with that in season 2, but after so many kiss assing it seems his acting got worse and forced sometimes.

Yeah, Ygritte and Jon was weird, Sansa and Sandor(if you consider that romantic) was poorly done, Jaime and Cersei is...rapey, Loras and Renly was campy, etc.

Agree with all of that. But they totally changed Dany and Drogo's first night together, that was much better in the books.

Also... Ygritte hates Jon so much on the show, I don't see how the death scene will work now. One of the classic parts of love stories is the time apart. I have a feeling Jaime and Brienne will forget each other just like Sansa and Sandor did. Loras forgot about Renly in record time. I could go on...

Except that they only started to get along when she learned how to have sex with him...

Archived