[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

Nami

eh? a girl who was at her father's beheading and found out her brother and mother were murdered also?

thought it was a great line tbh. arya basically with zero cares about death anymore and a mature understanding of death itself - death is not something to fear, because you can't feel anything, it's literally nothing.

She clearly does not have depression. Its awful grief but that's not depression.

Well, they needed another way for Sandor to get an infected wound so they could wisely depict his and Arya's parting the same as in the book and they thought "Hey! How about an infected human bite?!" and then they thought "Hey! How about that guy 'Biter'?!!" I mean, they we're obviously not going to have Brienne's confrontation with them in the show so they thought they'd tie up those two loose ends here. To me, I guess it's alright because it gets Sandor blood poisoning and eliminates another two minor characters but, yeah, it might mean not-so-good things for Brienne's storyline down the road.

Also, I actually thought Tyrion's reaction to Oberyn agreeing to champion him worked. I mean, what else would Tyrion be feeling at that moment but incredible relief? The Red Viper has a reputation as one of the foremost warriors in the realm and is even better than Bronn. So Tyrion would just be incredibly happy about this great stroke of luck :dunno:

I just did not buy it. There are some times when his acting is spectacular and sometimes I feel underwhelmed. Its not Bryan Cranston where I think he knocks it out of the park every week. Last week spectacular, this week underwhelming for me.

Closing out their arcs. Otherwise, you'd have fans speculating that Biter is going to sit the Iron Throne. Also, Arya's not ready to kill a stranger for no reason, and they are playing up "the list" for purposes of referring to it with DyingHound.

It was going to be closed out down the line, its not something most people would worry about. Just book readers who know the score. I think Arya killing to survive is enough. Plus, any cut is enough to become infected, it does not need to be a big thing.

Jon wanting to seal the gates. Jon is now Bowen Marsh. Is he going to kill himself?

Bwahahaha, this made me laugh.

My only nitpicks really were:

+ Arya's dumb nihilism monologue.

+ Only cat - minor nitpick for me

+ Everything at the Eyrie felt rushed. I wanted MOAR crazy Lysa before her eventual send off.

+ Oberyn's father taking him to Casterly Rock. Um ... no.

Yeah, at first I thought the conversation Arya had with the dying man was kinda ho-hum, but as I think further, it occurs to me that Arya's "Nothing is nothing" can serve as a precursor to her "I'm nobody" in the House of Black and White. And when she identified herself as Arya Stark in that same scene, I thought her expression and tone of voice gave perfect witness to what she's experienced and how deadened she's becoming as a result.

My nitpick is with the new Gregor Clegane. I think he's terrible and completely unrealistic. Here he presents all of a sudden as Goliath???

"Hey, Queen Cersei. Just killing some scrubs. Why? Oh, I dunno...they're criminals? I heard them make fun of your teats? Does it matter? Oh, and do you like how I went from psychotic menacing to pro-wrestling menacing?"

"Hey, Queen Daenerys. I don't come off as really dangerous anymore. Nothing really special...I'm more like a generic good-looking scrub that's trying to hook up with you at a club, and you're still broken up about your Sun, Moon and St...oh, take my clothes off? Sure. That was easy."

That's all I got, really.

Nothing is Nothing. Becoming a philosopher as well as an assassin now, are we?

We want to reintroduce the Mountain. Best way to do that? Have him start slaughtering some random criminals just so it looks cool.

I suppose it's part of his morning workout before breakfast.

Rorge and Biter's 10 second cameo. What the hell was that???

Rorge died really stupidly, and I hadn't realized Biter's neck had been snapped, I thought he was just lying there.

Melisandre sure has a beautiful body, but that scene was basically just eye candy and was useless.

After all the nudity and sex, they didn't give us a Daario-Dany sex scene? Just why?

And the way it happened.

I didn't see a young girl seduced by a cocky man slut.

I saw a pair of experienced adults as if they were about to have a casual fling or a one night stand at a bar.

And the way Dany poured wine and said "Take off your clothes"?

After that I half expected some seductive music and Daario to do some stupid little dance.

Also, "Your Sister"???

What in the seven hells?

The viewers aren't so stupid that they don't realize Cat = Lysa's sister.

And she fell through the Moon Door so damn slowly. Does gravity work differently in Westeros??

I expected a quick sharp shove like in the books with maybe a short loud shriek.

And she fell through the Moon Door so damn slowly. Does gravity work differently in Westeros??

I expected a quick sharp shove like in the books with maybe a short loud shriek.

Yes, so true! Had a bit of a "300" flashback. Was expecting Littlefinger to yell, "This Is The Vale!" as he pushed her

I just hate what they're doing to Brienne. I can't stand a single word that comes out of her mouth. I find it funny because her searching for Sansa chapters in the books were what made me start to like her. Her search in the show is making me watch to rip my hair out.

Aside from that, countless other things.

I agree with the other posts here that the 'Nothing is nothing' line was god-awful. It was almost as bad as the line with Tyrion calling Shae 'friend' in episode 2. :lol:

The lack of 'Only Cat' pissed me off as well. While the scene wasn't bad, I was underwhelmed.

It's also weird how they decided to follow Cersei's treatment of Tyrion in the books now, with the mention of her twisting Tyrion's dick, considering her relationship with Tyrion had been significantly changed in Season 2 and 3, and her character was made a lot less twisted. It felt out of character for Show Cersei, IMO.

And while I enjoyed Daenerys commanding Daario to undress (considering the overwhelming amount of sex scenes in this series shows females naked and males clothed), I hate how they weren't shown having sex, or at least making out. These writers honestly do not know how to fucking deal with sex scenes. They add unnecessary sex and nudity, change a clearly consensual sex scene into an ambiguously rapey sex scene, and cut a sex scene out from the books. WTF, seriously.

No offense to anyone but does anyone find it funny that book readers read this graphic novel with violence and rape but always complain about on TV rape etc lol. Only cat to "your sister" is not THAT bad right? Its either double standards or hypocrisy imo from book elitist lol.

No. Us book readers complain about a sex scene that was consensual in the books being changed into a scene that can be interpreted as a rape because of the fact that it goes against the way the character was written. Rape being portrayed is not the problem. It's the context.

No. Us book readers complain about a sex scene that was consensual in the books being changed into a scene that can be interpreted as a rape because of the fact that it goes against the way the character was written. Rape being portrayed is not the problem. It's the context.

Agreed, but some people also complained a lot about the very brief and out of focus rape scenes at Craster's Keep in 4x4, despite it making logical sense to be there, however unpleasant it is.

Agreed, but some people also complained a lot about the very brief and out of focus rape scenes at Craster's Keep in 4x4, despite it making logical sense to be there, however unpleasant it is.

People also complained about the rape threats towards Meera.

At the same time though, many felt that the show kept using rape too much as a shock factor and as a plot device, and that these scenes seem to exist more to glorify the males rescuing them rather than to show the pain of the rape victims.

While I don't agree 100% with these criticisms, I do find these scenes to be unnecessary. I dislike how the writers made up these scenes which don't make the show any better, or develop any characters, yet significantly tone down Ramsay's hunts where he rapes and flays the women, which I found to be important to Ramsay's character. I don't think the viewers truly understand how depraved Ramsay is. I mean, they could've at least had him talk about flaying his victim, or shown him about to rape her.

It annoys me when the writers claim they don't have enough time to adapt the books, yet waste their time with a bunch of bullshit scenes, and cut out a lot of important scenes that were in the books. So to me, it's not the fact that what was depicted was rape that irked me, but rather how superfluous the scenes were.

People also complained about the rape threats towards Meera.

At the same time though, many felt that the show kept using rape too much as a shock factor and as a plot device, and that these scenes seem to exist more to glorify the males rescuing them rather than to show the pain of the rape victims.

I agree with this, it's about the way it's being portrayed. One of the reviews used the term "casual rape" for the Craster's scene. Rape is not background noise, and it's also not necessary as the go to, let's add this to a scene.

Archived