[Book Spoilers] Nitpick With Impunity

Nami

Didn't like a lot of it, just calling out a few things...

The Hound should have told his story to Sansa, and this would have been a nice time to bring her up, since they were all talking about sisters and brothers, and all. Other than that, Rory and Maisie rocked it.

Sansa story is a mess, as usual (though interesting parallel scenes, Sansa slapping Sweetrobin, Sandor slapping Arya, maybe next time they can just scold them, a bit more in character that way).

Daario, my only regret is we didn't see everything, but Dany sitting back taking it all in, priceless.

Needless line changes. I would pay them to have Jon say, Ghost, to me.

Pod line is actually My Lady not Milady. He knows how to say it properly.

What is going on with the (nonexisting) dornish ladies?! First there was NO women among the visiting dornish lords in episode 1, and now Oberyn say that his FATHER brought him and Elia to Casterly Rock. Throwing in some referances to dornish inheritance-laws, Myrcella, etc would have bern nice.

Apart from Ellarias mention of bastards in Dorne and Oberyns mention of his daughters, we have heard almost nothing of dornish culture. All we have been given is the brothel scenes, some of seemed a bit unnecessery.

I hope they handle the dornish better next season when I guess the Queenmaker-plot might take at least some screen-time.

And she liked Daario, she was attracted to him and she didn't treat him as a fuck toy.

Exactly. They liked each other, they both used the word love, and Emilia did, too. It would have been nice to show the after scene, a kiss. I liked that we finally got a scene with the woman clothed and the man naked, went a fraction of the way to restore the balance of all those other scenes where it was the opposite, including the one last season with Dany and Daario. And also showed Dany making a choice, and there was a similar line in the books, take off your clothes.

(link on the other thread)

The mountain scene really bugged me.

Yea, Ramsay also kinda does his sick shit out of sight as well, like hunting girls in the woods, this seemed to be taking place in the streets of kingslanding, probably somewhere near the famous petyr brothal? christ.

And who were they anyway, peasants, criminals? it wasn't explained at all, it was just him killing random people to show off how brutal he is.

If they are peasants and petty criminals wouldn't they be more likely to be sent to the wall, instead of being given to the mountain as target practice.

So much about the scene bothers me.

They weren't unarmed. They were unchained and then handed swords and other weapons before facing the Mountain. The one guy tried to drop his sword and plead for mercy, culminating in an offscreen bludgeoning by Gregor's sword (bad idea, one guy).

The way I see it, an earlier scene would go like this:

CERSEI: "Father, Gregor Clegane will soon arrive for the trial. He's asked for some volunteers to spar with, in preparation for the trial. I suggested he look towards Flea Bottom."

TYWIN: "No, that won't do. We can't afford another panic-stricken riot. Free up the dungeons of some of the recent thieves. Let the Mountain 'practice' his skills on them instead. In the courtyard outside of the keep, away from prying eyes."

Alternatively, it's possible that Gregor brought these men with him (all "supporters of Robb Stark's claim," e.g. random peasants he picked up on the way there), and they were his POWs, with permission from the crown to do as he saw fit about their justice. Disregarding my quote above, the scene might've occurred just outside of King's Landing, and away from Tywin's (direct) purview.

The Eyrie being snowed up makes sense, because the Eyrie is high in the Mountains (think Denver), whereas the North is on much flatter land.

An unfortunate consequence of stretching 300 pages over 10 hours.

If it were any other author (or series of books) I could agree with this -- but there is *so much* to draw from here -- the show runners have tons and tons and tons of things they could be doing (from the books) that advances both plot/character development.

I loved this episode, I really did. But can someone please explain to me why they'll have any random naked prostitue in the background for no reason, but won't show Dany getting it on with Daario? Goddamnit! :tantrum:

Also, does this mean there won't be a lesbian scene between Dany and Missandei? :frown5: ;)

Melisandre/Selyse scene was a bit odd.

"Nothing is...nothing." Um. OK. I bet the dying man really appreciated that pearl of wisdom from an 11 year old.

Oh yeah. The Mountain scene was bizarre. "Uh, how do we show that this guys a violent monster?" 'No idea. Have him kill peasants or something."

I loved this episode, I really did. But can someone please explain to me why they'll have any random naked prostitue in the background for no reason, but won't show Dany getting it on with Daario? Goddamnit! :tantrum:

Also, does this mean there won't be a lesbian scene between Dany and Missandei? :frown5: ;)

Melisandre/Selyse scene was a bit odd.

"Nothing is...nothing." Um. OK. I bet the dying man really appreciated that pearl of wisdom from an 11 year old.

Oh yeah. The Mountain scene was bizarre. "Uh, how do we show that this guys a violent monster?" 'No idea. Have him kill peasants or something."

What they should've done with the Mountain was have him cross paths with Arya's and Brienne's story.

First have him raid a village where Arya and the Hound are. We could see glimpses of his brutality, backstory of Sandor's hatred for him and also some tension whilst they have to hide from him and his men to prevent being taken back to Kings Landing.

Then have the Mountain encounter Brienne and Pod whilst he's on his way to the capital. Have a confrontation between them that is barely avoided. This would add tension to Brienne's story and further build Gregor up as a legend to be feared.

The Mountain has such a baby face and is not nearly as scary as in series 1.

LOL, one of my original nits watching last night that I didn't get a chance to post......first off, dude looked like he could have been Mark Addy/King Robert's brother, second......he looks like he should be The Hound's younger brother. Although, I give up on this role for the show, it's a shame, I thought S1 Mountain was perfect, he had the size, but more importantly, he had the rage and anger act just boiling out of him. He'd have been great in the coming fight. Still, since The Fight is why they hired Number 3, I'm sure he'll be good, or....I'm trying to be.

Although, I give up on this role for the show, it's a shame, I thought S1 Mountain was perfect, he had the size, but more importantly, he had the rage and anger act just boiling out of him.

Mountain 1 was best.

What did you think of Daario?

Mountain 1 was best.

What did you think of Daario?

He looks damn good, but personality wise, he doesn't feel like Daario. I'm not sure who he's playing, to be honest.......but once the clothes came off, I was a bit more interested, LOL I don't think it's the actor's fault, I'm just not sure what the writers are doing. I've heard good things about the actor, but the character he's being given to play just doesn't feel like Daario, to me anyway. He needs that splash, that swagger that Daario 1.0 had going for him. I have the feeling that Daario the Second could do that, make a personality splash, D&D just don't seem to be writing it for him. Granted, the one Daario thing he does have, sorta, is the beard, but I'm all for shaving it off. Once the clothes came off, I was wishing I could hop on screen, razor in hand. :leer:

I want frontal nudity

There, I said it

Be careful what you wish for...remember we got full frontal Hodor in the first season. Please be more specific when tossing that out, we could always get a Walder Frey or Varys if D&D decided to be dicks.

He looks damn good, but personality wise, he doesn't feel like Daario. I'm not sure who he's playing, to be honest.......but once the clothes came off, I was a bit more interested, LOL I don't think it's the actor's fault, I'm just not sure what the writers are doing. I've heard good things about the actor, but the character he's being given to play just doesn't feel like Daario, to me anyway. He needs that splash, that swagger that Daario 1.0 had going for him. I have the feeling that Daario the Second could do that, make a personality splash, D&D just don't seem to be writing it for him. Granted, the one Daario thing he does have, sorta, is the beard, but I'm all for shaving it off. Once the clothes came off, I was wishing I could hop on screen, razor in hand. :leer:

No, the beard must stay! That's the Jaime compensatory beard. Maybe if Jaime grows his back, we can talk.

I have such low expectations for the show, I am happy when something comes close. I'm trying the look on the bright side approach.

The man looked fine... they could have just panned down a bit more, however!

I'm probably alone in this, but Book-Brienne was one of my favourite POV's and I very much dislike how they basically reduced her to be the comic relief of the series, which she doesn't deserve IMO.

The Mountain scene was ridiculous. That made no sense at all.

The rest of this episode wasn't fantastic either. There is so much great material in the books that I really don't understand some of the choices the writers are making in this fourth season. I'm really worried that they are painting themselves into a corner with some of the shenanigans they're pulling. Brienne is an example of a very interesting character (the one pure, straightforward, albeit naive character in a world built on double agendas and lies) thats just been flattened like a pancake. Sansa's storyline has also been robbed of it's shine, with Petyr just coming off as a child molester with his creepy voice.

Lysa flailing her arms while falling looked like some ACME sh-t. I swear, I expected a dusty poof when she hit the bottom.

Me too! I was actually surprised when that didn't happen. Then I remembered I wasn't watching an episode of Looney Tunes.

Nitpicks:

1) Biter trying to bite Sandor (and really the whole 'nothing' speech. I see what they are trying to do, but it ain't working)

2) "Your sister" was bad enough, but the CGI was shitty

3) Emilia Clarke not wearing that second dress in all of her scenes

4) Not enough Hot Pie

5) Melissandre was just weird. Normally I don't complain about the nudity, but it just seemed strange here.

6) No Eyrie in the opening credits? But the dreadfort and Braavos were there? The credits really start to annoy me. I get that they keep showing WF, but they should change the others if they don't appear in the episode.

Do we even know if they had sex? I get that it was implied, but she could have had Daario strud around in the nude there.

I always enjoy when you show up, and not just cause of your avi.

1. Biter.......there to bite, huh? ITA The nothing was..........nothing worth while.

2. CGI was shitty, it must have been, I don't usually notice such things, LOL, not that much, anyway.

3. I'll see ya the Emilia Clark gown for a new outfit for Oberyn.

4. Never enough Hot Pie, and it is best with extra gravy and bread.

5. Depending on the scene, I'm back and forth on the nudity issue. It's the rape overload that was getting to me previously. You know it's too much rape when half the participants look as bored as they did at Craster's Keep. With Mel, I've come to the conclusion that part of her character is comfortableness with herself, nudity abounds. What will be funny is.........with that notion of her comfort in her own skin, I'll LMAO if it's just a glamoured boob job. ;) Yeah, yeah, I know, no ruby last night in the tub, maybe that's what the blue juju juice was for?

6. This number is the main reason I wanted to answer, the opening credits. A, they are getting lazy, and B, the new angle flyover opening that they've tried to be too cute with.........is half the reason I think they don't pay the same attention to changing up locales each episode. I just wonder if that plays into it, the new angle, which annoys the hell out of me.

Well, I wanted to answer the post for Hot Pie, for Number 6, and to say HI to you and The Ned. ~Waves Hi~

No, the beard must stay! That's the Jaime compensatory beard. Maybe if Jaime grows his back, we can talk.

I have such low expectations for the show, I am happy when something comes close. I'm trying the look on the bright side approach.

The man looked fine... they could have just panned down a bit more, however!

Oh, I like the guy, I'm going with it, I'm just not sure who he's playing, LOL I put that down to D&D's tampering. I'm all for recasting when it's needed, I just think they wrote him so different because they are getting touchy about it, maybe? I'm not sure why, but I'm still upset they didn't recast The Great Jon, sooooooooooo, that and beard bargaining aside, I'm all for it. From what I hear of Michael's acting skills, I bet he could do the swag......I'm not sure why they aren't writing it for him.

ETA: Yes, the full frontal with some swag.

Rant: The Rorge&Biter scene was ridiculous. I mean first off, why would they be creeping around alone at this point rather than attached to a larger group or force? And while I wouldn't call them "smart", they're definitely survivors and have got enough sense not to just attack Arya and Sandor all on their own, out in the open like that

Also, weren't those two a couple of the meanest, toughest sons of bitches around? I mean they were SO dangerous that they were kept locked and chained in a wagon, even amongst the other killers and criminals headed for the wall. They also made pretty short work(along with Arya, Jaqen, and Weasel Soup) of all the guards in the tower at Harrenhal. Rorge then establishes himself as one of the most violent and brutal members of the Brave Companions(a pretty hard bunch to stand out in, I'd imagine), even going as far as threatening Vargo Hoat himself, when angered. He eventually leads the largest of the Mummers' offshoots and completely wipes out the town of Saltpans, butchering every man, woman and child in sight, and leaving the whole place a smoking ruin. Afterwards, he and Biter both survive several attacks by the Brotherhood in retaliation. And when Brienne faces the two of them, she is brought down and barely escapes with her life, only surviving thanks to a spear through the back of Biter's neck, courtesy of Gendry.

Not saying that Sandor, one of the deadliest warriors in the Seven Kingdoms, and sneaky killer Arya, couldn't take em, but it would be a tough fight, leaving no one unscathed by the end. But in this episode, Sandor and Arya dispatch them effortlessly, like they're no more than common scum. I don't see why they were written off like this when they should both still have major parts to play. I mean, why even bother including them in the first place?

This perfectly describes everything I hated about that scene it was awful.

Daario is beyond dull. I see no chemistry or sexual tension between him and Dany.

Gregor gutting the dudes for practice was trying too hard. Should've had brief glimpses of him terrorizing the Riverlands.

Melisandre and Selyse was just plain weird.

Archived