X-Men Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

Yes. Apocalypse looks odd here, a blue skinned human, but we'll see how that turns out.

I am certainly very excited by the idea of them finally moving toward Apocalypse, especially considering how good this film was.

Anyway, just back from seeing this, this was a great film. Is it the best X-men film so far? Well it is the most ambitious, it is better than First Class ( which I liked but is simply not as great a story as this, or as epic) but I think this feels pretty much on par with X2 as a really great X-Men film.

What did I really like?

1) The future Sentinels were the definition of awesome. I was astounded by how exciting and versatile they were, truly massive robots that made it believable that even powerful mutants fell to such enemies. The opening scene was stunning. The final fight in the future was also very good. They reminded me of The Destroyer in Thor 1, very menacing.

2) Fassbender was again just great as Magneto, flawless really. And he gets good stuff to do.

3) There was some funny stuff in this film, especially the Quicksilver scenes which were obviously a total success with everyone in the audience. He was great.

4) Wolverine was alright in this film, had some good scenes with Beast. Also Stewart nails it again as Xavier.

Stuff I was less keen on and made the film fall just short of a complete success for me:

1) I wish there had been more scenes in the future. The setting of this film is basically the 70's and I found parts of the story happening there lacking in excitement. The story seemed to halt somewhat sometimes. I'm usually not one to cry for more action but when the action is as good as in these X-Men films, I could have more of it. I think Singer tried to hard to give every party involved a believable reason for what they were doing, that he sometimes elaborated too much on those reasons, and it turned a bit dull to me.

2) Basically comes down to the same thing, I wish Old Xavier and Old Magneto did more in this film.

But all in all this is a must see film. 8 out of 10 for me. And a girlfriend who loved the film as well and forgave me for taking her to Godzilla last week.

Really nice post. I agree with most everything that you say except for the highlighted. I personally feel like the recent trend in comic movies is to give us scene after scene of things blowing up and big fights to the complete detriment of character development. Man of Steel is the perfect example of this, and that movie was wretched.

The thing that Days of Future Past did right, was allow the movie to breath. It was much more focused on character interaction and we really got to know the people behind the costumes. You are right that when we did come to action sequences, they were fantastic, but the reason that they were so good was because we had time to really bond with the characters.

This movie may have become my all time favorite superhero movie because of this.

I got chills when I spotted those four horsemen on the dune behind ol' Pocky-Lips.

My one major criticism of this franchise is how Americanised all the characters are. Pietro becomes Peter, Toad is now an ex-GI, there is a certain irony in the fact they made all-American Charles Xavier an Englishman, but other than that its Yanks (and one Canuck) all the way down.

I haven't yet seen the movie (don't mind spoilers, don't worry) but I've seen some of Quicksilver scenes and I have to say that Evan Peters is spot on, which is great because his work in AHS:Coven was a waste, really. I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence but I think Peters might convince me to watch the movie sooner.

I think where this ultimately trumps First Class is in the ending. I still feel like the ending of First Class, specifically Xavier's crippling, felt forced like they had to put it in there in that particular movie.

DoFP has a glorious ending, the final showdown was very good and I like the continuous crossing between past and future. And then there was the final scene with Wolverine waking up to find everyone was alive, I think after the kitchen scene seeing Scott alive was my favourite moment.

Minor things that bug me

1. At the end of First Class Magneto resuces Emma Frost but by the time of Future Past she is dead? How did that work? (I know its shorthand for they didn't want to be attached to the new project but still)

2. Also in this new universe Banshee is dead? Agian how does that work?

3. What the heck was Havok's suit doing next to Magneto's Helmet in the valut?

4. No Stan Lee Cameo? Understandable I knew he was old but I didn't realize exactly how old.

I haven't yet seen the movie (don't mind spoilers, don't worry) but I've seen some of Quicksilver scenes and I have to say that Evan Peters is spot on, which is great because his work in AHS:Coven was a waste, really. I can't stand Jennifer Lawrence but I think Peters might convince me to watch the movie sooner.

Well if it helps any she's mostly blue in this movie, just pretend it's a different actress. ;)

And then there was the final scene with Wolverine waking up to find everyone was alive, I think after the kitchen scene seeing Scott alive was my favourite moment.

I really liked that too. Fuck X3, you don't kill the leader of the X-Men off.

Minor things that bug me

1. At the end of First Class Magneto resuces Emma Frost but by the time of Future Past she is dead? How did that work? (I know its shorthand for they didn't want to be attached to the new project but still)

4. No Stan Lee Cameo? Understandable I knew he was old but I didn't realize exactly how old.

4. I've not seen ASM 2, does anyone know if he made a cameo in it? IIRC Stan is in his 90's, so I can understand why he isn't making appearances in every movie anymore.

4. I've not seen ASM 2, does anyone know if he made a cameo in it? IIRC Stan is in his 90's, so I can understand why he isn't making appearances in every movie anymore.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/04/stan-lees-cameo-in-amazing-spider-man-2-revealed/

He's in his 90s, but he's quite a vigorous man!

ETA: he didn't have a cameo because he was already compromised with some convention when the movie was being filmed and he couldn't disappoint fans.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/04/stan-lees-cameo-in-amazing-spider-man-2-revealed/

He's in his 90s, but he's quite a vigorous man!

ETA: he didn't have a cameo because he was already compromised with some convention when the movie was being filmed and he couldn't disappoint fans.

Oh, ok thanks. Love Stan, forget Stannis, there is only one "Stan the Man", and it's Stan Lee!

Minor things that bug me

I think the movie takes place almost a decade after the previous one. Plenty of time for offscreen tragedies.

comics' spoiler

In the comics Pietro & Wanda Maximoff (Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch) are Magneto's children with Magda Lehnsherr.

There was a mythology gag to this. Plus is it even that important? (No, is the answer). Or impossible in this timeline? (No, is the answer). Plus the kid is Solaris not Scarlet Witch

Really enjoyed this film, especially for the following:

Quicksilver

Retconning X3 (but not The Wolverine :( Origins, mediocre as it was, is still a far better film than that, at least it's fun and relevant)

Fassbender

I didn't know how to take the scene of Mystique as Stryker at the end. If she killed Stryker Wolverine Origins, and X2 never take place.

I didn't know how to take the scene of Mystique as Stryker at the end. If she killed Stryker Wolverine Origins, and X2 never take place.

I agree that was a bit of an error, but the implication (for me) what that neither of those films took place in the new future anyway. Or maybe one still does and the continuity errors are a Zelda like splitting of te timeline, but given the messing with time we've seen, who knows?

Archived