X-Men Days of Future Past (SPOILERS)

Nictarion

Well X being alive was a retcon, but we actually saw Magneto getting his powers back at the end of X3.

Did we? I've literally tried to forget that entire film

Not because of anything it did to the franchise, I don't care that much, but because it was fucking awful

Did we? I've literally tried to forget that entire film

I can certainly understand that, but yeah he moves a metal chess piece in the last scene.

I also think there was a post credit scene in the movie that shall not be named where X contacts Moira McTaggert.

But enough talk of that shit, lets talk about a great X-Men film, now that we have one.

Just saw it. It was outstanding. I was a huge X-Men fanatic in the 80's and 90's and while I liked the original X-Men movies, they aged quickly compared to the newest Marvel movies. First Class was a big step in the right direction and this one finally got it done.

I didn't know how to take the scene of Mystique as Stryker at the end. If she killed Stryker Wolverine Origins, and X2 never take place.

I also didn't know what to make of Mystique posing as Stryker at the end.

Minor things that bug me

1. At the end of First Class Magneto resuces Emma Frost but by the time of Future Past she is dead? How did that work? (I know its shorthand for they didn't want to be attached to the new project but still)

2. Also in this new universe Banshee is dead? Agian how does that work?

3. What the heck was Havok's suit doing next to Magneto's Helmet in the valut?

Banshee and Emma Frost could have died in the meantime, it's just not explained.

As for Havok, I thought that maybe he was dead? Could Stryke have got to him and that's why Mystique is crying when she's in Bolivar Trask's office? Though I don't recall them showing Havok's face in those files.

Anyway, shame the Apocalypse film is two years away, it would have been great if that came out a year from now. And the future Sentinels, upon further consideration, are the coolest robotic creatures since Terminator's T1000.

Magneto mentioned Banshee and Emma in his list of names when he was yelling at Charles on the plane, so yes, they're dead. Havoc we saw in Vietnam, they probably recovered his suit from the left behind kit after Mystique got the mutants out.

I thought it was a good film, probably the second-best X-Men film after X2. The weakest bit is perhaps at the start where they have to fit in a lot of exposition regarding the Sentinels and the plan to send Logan back in time, but I thought the film really got into its stride once it went back to the 70s. I liked that ultimately it didn't entirely come down to an action scene and the crucial scene was Xavier managing to persuade Mystique to do the right thing, although there were also some great action scenes, particularly the fights with the future Sentinels and Quicksilver during the jailbreak.

It's also good to see X-Men 3 apparently wiped from existence although it is a bit confusing trying to work out what did and did not happen from the other movies. Xavier's survival in the original timeline is also completely unexplained.

The Mystique as Striker confused me, wouldn't that mean no ademanteum for Wolvy? That's a little overboard.

Just because Mystique is posing as Stryker then doesn't necessarily mean the real Stryker couldn't get his hands on Wolverine at some later point over the next couple of decades.

I don't think there should be any confusion regarding what was retconned and what wasn't. People are saying this film wiped X3 and Wolverine: Origins out of continuity, when in actually, all X-films were wiped from continuity. You can't pick and choose what happens and what doesn't. It's the butterfly effect. Wolverine went back into the 1970s and changed the way everything originally went down. The timeline was altered, even before people like Cyclops and Jean Grey were born. So, if you want to get technical, you cannot safely say that X1 and X2 happened. The only way X1 and X2 happened is if Wolvie only traveled back to 2006. There's entirely way too many variables...one being that Wolverine's ultimate stay in the Weapon X program is going to go down much differently, with him now being in Mystique's hands.

You can say some variation of X1 and X2 happened, but as Professor X hinted to Wolvie in the final scene, the last 50 years is something both the audience and Wolvie need clarification on.

Just because Mystique is posing as Stryker then doesn't necessarily mean the real Stryker couldn't get his hands on Wolverine at some later point over the next couple of decades.

Yeah - I think they deliberately left it unknown at the end as to whether or not Wolverine has his adamantium or not. It would have been easy and fairly logical for Wolfie to wake up and check his claws to see if they were bone or metal - I mean... you'd think he would be curious. (And yes... it can be argued that he'd feel the difference without needing to look).

But they left it hidden - whether to simply give fans something fun to speculate about or because they haven't decided yet.

One minor nitpick. When Quicksilver goes on his bullet rearranging spree in the kitchen, he puts on a pair of very modern looking, behind-the-ear headphones. That bothered me during an otherwise awesome scene.

Quicksilver's part in the kitchens was the most wonderful thing I've seen in theaters since the bar scene in Inglourious Basters. That was five years ago.

Pretty cool Fassbender was in both scenes. He is a an outstanding actor, definitely one of my favorites working today.

That kitchen scene belonged to Evan Peters and Brian Singer though. Have to give credit where it's due.

Well X being alive was a retcon, but we actually saw Magneto getting his powers back at the end of X3.

Eh, it's not technically a retcon as Xavier's consciousness was "uploaded" to the man in a coma in the end credits scene of X3. You could explain his appearance and paralysis several ways.

Eh, it's not technically a retcon as Xavier's consciousness was "uploaded" to the man in a coma in the end credits scene of X3. You could explain his appearance and paralysis several ways.

Yeah, i remebered the scene with Moira MacTaggert after i posted that.

Pretty cool Fassbender was in both scenes. He is a an outstanding actor, definitely one of my favorites working today.

That kitchen scene belonged to Evan Peters and Brian Singer though. Have to give credit where it's due.

Yeah, Fassbender is definitely one of the biggest standout performers in recent years. If you haven't already, check him out in Hunger.

Didn't follow this movie's casting, so I was surprised when I saw Evan Peters. I hope to see more; Apocalypse can't come soon enough.

This film just had a stellar ensemble all around.

Yeah, Fassbender is definitely one of the biggest standout performers in recent years. If you haven't already, check him out in Hunger.

Didn't follow this movie's casting, so I was surprised when I saw Evan Peters. I hope to see more; Apocalypse can't come soon enough.

This film just had a stellar ensemble all around.

Haven't seen Hunger or 12 Years a Slave, but i will watch anything with Michael Fassbender in it.

I saw it over the weekend. It was fun, but I only ever saw the first and third movies and dont remember much of them, so I was pretty lost at first. Things like what magneto and the prof were being friends in the future, and if I was supposed to know who Ellen page and friends were. Also had the sentinels been introduced at the end of the last movie, or was the future brand new to the whole audience?

That's mostly on me though, and I did like the movie quite a bit. Except I was a bit disturbed by the ending, specifically the implication that Logan has essentially killed the alternative version of himself. He woke up back in his body again, not remembering the past 50 years, but everyone recognized him, so clearly he wad around and didn't just appear back in the future. What happened to the consciousness that experience d this new timeline?

Archived