[Book Spoilers] The Duel

But I'm betting that the people here are going to rage when he gets the order wrong.. "You raped her, you murdered her children, you killed her!" <- Fans react badly, start speaking in terms such as: "they can't possibly do any more harm then has already been done, they ruined it!"..

Don't forget the feverish cries of "He didn't cry 'Elia' - they took his agency!", "They assassinated his character!" and "Gregor didn't smash his face in as graphically as he did in the books - they totally white-washed this fight!" :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the duel. I hope it'll follow books and I think they'll look into Oberyn's past right before the fight. To show that he's even bigger baddass than Unsullied think he is.They HAVE to mention his nickname and how he earned it. I was little bit gutted that Tyrion didn't mentioned it in ep1 straight away. And was hoping a verbal clash between Olena and Elaria, where the Quenn of Thornes called Elaria "the serpant's whore" - my favourite moment, that was only mentioned in the books from Tyrion's POV.

i really hope the episode ends with tywin saying "the prisoner will be executed on the morrow". or he could say something before the duel about how they will take tyrion's head if they lose. i really want to torment the unsullied. i dont want them to think "maybe he'll just go to the wall". no. they need to feel the feels like we did when we read "why would they waste a breath on the dead".

Someone on Reddit posted awhile back claiming to be an extra in this scene. According to him, all the main lines from the book are kept during the duel including "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children", and Oberyn does get his head smashed in, but there are some changes, including Tyrion not vomiting.

^In the summer during filming certain sneaky extras on reddit were dead right about the Craster's business (mentioning Karl drinking wine out of Mormont's skull, Jon giving a speech, Bran getting captured etc). Though in theory anyone could lie about that, so far all of the ones I've ever come across were telling the truth.

D&D are always very faithful to the big book moments. I can forgive minor transgressions when they nail the memorable book moments and they always do. There will probably be some minor changes here and there; no vomiting, no random bystander getting cleaved, so i'm sure people will still bitch and moan though. My only hope is that they don't turn Oberyn into Yoda. Also, hope we get Oberyn's nickname.

^ There's no way we won't get Oberyn's nickname, considering that the episode is titled "The Viper and the Mountain." It would be ridiculous for them not to give him the name. They were probably waiting until episode 8 to explain the nickname so it isn't a dead-giveaway what the episode title meant (even though they showed parts of the dual in the trailers).

I, for one, hope it's true that Tyrion doesn't vomit when Oberyn loses the duel. It's just one of those things that works well on the page, but wouldn't really transfer to the screen all that well, I think. I'm also fine with an innocent bystander not getting killed (seems that element was transposed to the re-introduction of The Mountain, in a sense), and didn't really expect it given the location they chose for the duel.

Just say her name. After Pedro Pascal's performance, I don't think I could stand seeing his face smashed. Perhaps just the eye gouging? No! Oberyn wins this time! No, sigh, he doesn't . Sorry folks, I'm super invested.

Someone on Reddit posted awhile back claiming to be an extra in this scene. According to him, all the main lines from the book are kept during the duel including "You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children", and Oberyn does get his head smashed in, but there are some changes, including Tyrion not vomiting.

Woah! If it's not too much trouble, can you please post a link? It sounds really interesting :)

Looking forward to the duel. I hope it'll follow books and I think they'll look into Oberyn's past right before the fight. To show that he's even bigger baddass than Unsullied think he is.They HAVE to mention his nickname and how he earned it. I was little bit gutted that Tyrion didn't mentioned it in ep1 straight away. And was hoping a verbal clash between Olena and Elaria, where the Quenn of Thornes called Elaria "the serpant's whore" - my favourite moment, that was only mentioned in the books from Tyrion's POV.

Damn, I totally forgot that, The Serpant's Whore, LOL I do wish they had left some of the specific Tyrell/Martell issues in, without a Willas, I'm not surprised. That reminds me, has the QOT really left already? I'm not certain, I saw her talk about it, but I wonder.

Can't wait for the duel, damn......reading I smashed her face in.....like this, is upsetting, LOL Pedro just rocks this role, damn....I'm gonna miss him. He'd have made a wonderful Dread Pirate Roberts.

^In the summer during filming certain sneaky extras on reddit were dead right about the Craster's business (mentioning Karl drinking wine out of Mormont's skull, Jon giving a speech, Bran getting captured etc). Though in theory anyone could lie about that, so far all of the ones I've ever come across were telling the truth.

Still, they didn't peg Sallador Saan in Braavos with the Nekked Ladies, did they?

^ There's no way we won't get Oberyn's nickname, considering that the episode is titled "The Viper and the Mountain." It would be ridiculous for them not to give him the name. They were probably waiting until episode 8 to explain the nickname so it isn't a dead-giveaway what the episode title meant (even though they showed parts of the dual in the trailers).

While I do have a bit of faith we will get some type of Viper mention, I'm not so sure the episode title is a guarantee. IIRC, they never used Arya's Ghost of Harrenhal, inspite of the epi title, which........had me all kinds of hopeful. Still, I think there is a bigger chance for Viper or Red Viper, especially since the casting call seems to specify the Sand Snakes next year. A Viper breeds snakes, hopefully......they will make that clear.

As soon as I saw Locke's death at the hands of Hodor this season, I felt certain Oberyn would die differently than in the books.

Hearing that Elia was cut in half in the TV series hardened that certainty. Of course, if Oberyn's line are changed to something like, "You raped her, you cut her in half, you killed her children," then the Mountain could say, "Elia of Dorne - I didn't cut her in half! I killed her like this," and smash his head in with all the same impact of confession. But with the other rumors already reported in this thread, the death will be softened from what's in the books. And that's a judgment call thing. It doesn't always work on screen. For example, Cat clawing her face open before dying at the Red Wedding. It really would have been too much at the end of that brutal scene on screen. And if they shot it and decided it was too much, I'll bet they did soften Oberyn's death scene. But Mr. Martell, he dead.

As soon as I saw Locke's death at the hands of Hodor this season, I felt certain Oberyn would die differently than in the books.

Hearing that Elia was cut in half in the TV series hardened that certainty. Of course, if Oberyn's line are changed to something like, "You raped her, you cut her in half, you killed her children," then the Mountain could say, "Elia of Dorne - I didn't cut her in half! I killed her like this," and smash his head in with all the same impact of confession. But with the other rumors already reported in this thread, the death will be softened from what's in the books. And that's a judgment call thing. It doesn't always work on screen. For example, Cat clawing her face open before dying at the Red Wedding. It really would have been too much at the end of that brutal scene on screen. And if they shot it and decided it was too much, I'll bet they did soften Oberyn's death scene. But Mr. Martell, he dead.

I hope they go with the cut in half thing, by the way. I think smashing his head in is a little too gruesome, especially when paired with gouging his eyes.

Archived