"Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode [NO SPOILERS]

There's this thing Ramsay's actor does that I really love. Last season, all we saw of Ramsay was over-the-top batshit mode, because that's where he was in the storyline. This season, he's been much more cordial with people, so it's easy to forget that he's the same horrifying guy we dealt with last season. But every now and then, when he wants Reek to do something, his actor does this thing where he changes his tone of voice for just a second to make himself threatening, and then goes back to being normal and cordial.

The first time we saw the specific thing I'm talking about was in the bath scene a few episodes ago: Ramsay says "Remove your britches"; Reek doesn't do it; Ramsay says "...now." I loved his delivery of that line.. it was right on the verge of being angry but without actually losing his cool, and was just enough to make the viewer and Reek remember that this guy is in control and this guy is fucking scary, because if you don't do what he tells you to do, he will punish you.

He did the same exact thing again this week. I still haven't rewatched the ep, so I don't remember exactly when it was, but I'm pretty sure he said, "Now.. who are you?" I can't really describe it, you have to listen for it, but the way that he changes the sound of his voice there and in that part in the bath scene is incredible. It's just enough to remind you how scary this guy is and it's really, really chilling when he says those things to remind Theon, "I'm being nice to you now, but if you're ever thinking of disobeying me, don't forget what I've done to you." There's no direct threat at all -- it's just the way that he sounds when he makes his demands that's so intimidating.

eta: "What do you tell them?" was the line I was thinking of this week

Everyone keeps talking about Oberyn's squished head but how bout the super flayed iron born fatty, flayed to gills where you can see his lungs inside his rib cage. YIPES.

Yeah, that was gruesome, too, but... I don't know... for me it's the sound effects that really sold Oberyn's death for me. That, and I get queasy every time I watch somebody get an injury to their eyes or tendons, because in my head I immediately get the image of how painful and crippling that would be. *shudder*

I was thinking about the Tyrion/Jaime conversation about how there’s a word for every kind of killing, and kind of ticking off in my head how many we’ve seen so far, and then it hit me: Jaime killed his cousin, Alton, back in S2. And here he immediately brought up that there’s no word for cousin-killing, like even though the psychological aftermath of that scene was never really explored on-screen, it’s still been haunting him all this time. I found that really poignant.

Yeah, that one completely passed me by until I read about it on TV Tropes later, but it's a really nice callback. Also, Jaime's sudden admission of "Maester XY... *ugh* tried to touch me once" had me going "WUT?" :stunned: :ack:

Part of it really was schadenfraude on her part. "lololol you dont get yer ransom! SUCKER~" But also her going "dude, all this traveling and bullshit and that bitch is dead. Fucking...looooool"

That's how I saw it, too. And I couldn't help but laugh with her.

Oh and the duel of course... Was it just me or did anybody else think that when the squire was "oiling up" or cleaning Oberyn's spear or w/e he doing, that he was actually lacing it w/ poison?

I thought so, too, the moment I saw that scene.

Unlike a lot of people, I really like the Theon and Ramsay scenes. It's almost more horrifying to see what Theon has become than it was to read about it. Also, I almost felt happy for Ramsay when he became a Bolon, but then I remembered who he was.

The Eyrie scenes were great, and I just love how Sansa is turning into one of them, into a convincing liar, a manipulator, a player in the Game of Thrones. Arya's laugh was both funny and scary at the same time, and it kinda reminded me of the crawl space scene where Walter loses it. Poor Hound, everyone who's around Arya always has the worst luck.

I actually liked the beetle conversation, as it can mean many things to both Tyrion and the watcher. Maybe it was a look at how pointless all our striving is. What is important to one person may seem meaningless to another. You could compare it to someone spending most of their time watching television or playing games or commenting on forums. What's the point? What do we achieve? We enjoy it, sure, but you could as well be crushing beetles. More likely it was about how there rarely is any justice in the world. You can't really understand why the stuff that is happening is happening, and you can't really understand why Orson had to kill all those beetles. Or it could just be about GRRM crushing the hearts of readers and viewers.

And of course the duel. I knew what was going to happen, and it was horrible. I was shaking afterwards, and I doubt I'll be able to remove the image of Oberyn's bleeding eyes or his crushed head. Why?! He was such a cool guy!

Oh, and naked Missandei

- Roose playing that name shit with Ramsay. Who are you? I'm Ramsay Snow...

- Daenerys exiling Jorah was kinda cool too, I don't care what anybody says, Emilia Clark pulled off the character arch of Daenerys with absolute perfection

- Sansa's dress! Finally a proper dress. She looked so hot. She was the Mockingjay. Femme fatale moment.

- Sansa's confession, Sophie nailed it, she was awesome.

- Arya's fit of laughter learning about Lysa's death

- The snapshot of the Bolton army marching

- The duel up to that certain point when Oberyn... :frown5: ... :crying: ... :bawl: I can't even make myself say it :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

thought it was a really good episode minus the Missandei and Grey Worm filler. I really liked Sansas scene and how it was different from the book. its nice to see her finally doing something for herself. Interested to see how they will finish Arya and Sandors scenes.

It's cool how Roose's "Who are you?" to Ramsay was directly linked to Ramsay's "Who are you?" to Theon. It really shows the influence of the father on the son. Consider how Jon turned out having grown up accepted among the Starks contrasting with Ramsay who was rejected and has clearly never gotten over that.

well ramsay was raised by his mother and reek. Both of them kept reminding him of his rights. they are the ones who created him. roose did not meet him until he was an adult. that's why they have such different styles. ramsay wants to be his father. His main desire is to be a Bolton. that's why he killed his brother. So no one could stand in his way. roose is stuck with him and ramsay knows that. both are psychopaths the main difference being that ramsay is also a sadist who is even turned on by his own twisted ness. Roose while cruel usually commits crimes when he fells it's pragmatic to do so. he is not one for random violence, ramsay well his hunts tell you all you need to know on that front. They are extreme and evil, but they go about it in extremely different ways.

What you are saying goes entirely to my point.

That being that if Ramsay had been raised by Roose instead, he would still be an evil prick, but probably less of a sadist and would likely not have the same chip on his shoulder. Hence why I referenced the impact a father can have on their son by simply accepting them.

Ellaria Sand's scream at the end was utterly heart wrenching :crying: I hope that she is back in E.10 :(

Smirk-y moments during the trial;

Pycelle: "This.....uh.....man...." way to whip a dwarf when he's down!

Tywin cutting Pycelle off mid-speech

Archived