"Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode [NO SPOILERS]

Pretty darn good episode I'd say

I loved Arya's laughing.

Sansa bullshitting the Vale lords

The Moat Caillin job, Ramsay officailly becoming a Bolton, Roose's quick lecture on the North - Roose and Ramsay just get better!

Jaime and Tyrion discussing Cousin "Orson the beetleslayer"

The duel

Mole's town getting hit

Grey Worm being a peeping Tom

Dany expelling Jorah

VERY pleased with ep 8 -well worth the two week wait IMHO

Arya's laugh.

Dany and Jorah. Emilia did a good job with this scene, this was her best work in this season so far.

Oberyn getting increasingly angry and calling out Tywin

Roose legitimizing Ramsay as his heir. The scenery of the North and the Bolton banners flying, very well done.

Ellaria's scream. Ellaria and Oberyn together in their last scenes. They were the best couple on this show. :bawl: I knew what was coming, but Oberyn's gory death hit me hard.

You do have a point though I think the show has decided to simplify Daenerys's current personality, all her inner turmoils from the Meereen period has been excluded so far (meaning her inner battle about sleeping with Daario or not sleeping with Daario because Oh she still misses Drogo but he is dead, but she still feels like cheating on his memory etc, or her moments of insecurity about whether she's doing the right thing and whether she's a good ruler etc) these aren't really portrayed on the show, this season she's majorly shown as a confident and ruthless ruler with a strong sense of justice. I think the scene channelled this perfectly while still showing that she was shaken to learn of Jorah'a treachery.

Haha, thanks :)

Yea I agree maybe they can include the inner turmoil stuff next yr when hopefully they start the Sons of the Harpy storyline and instead of braiding hair and talking stones & pillars w/ Missandei, she can sort of let her guard down a little and lean on her since they're becoming close. I'd much rather them start having a more intimate, personal relationship (away from court of course) since Missy is older and finally show the wisdom w/in her we know her to be capable of. I mean she cant share her doubts and woes w/ Barristan or Daario. Also I'd like to hear them talk more about Rhaegar and maybe an appearance from Qaithe?

Yea I agree maybe they can include the inner turmoil stuff next yr when hopefully they start the Sons of the Harpy storyline and instead of braiding hair and talking stones & pillars w/ Missandei, she can sort of let her guard down a little and lean on her since they're becoming close. I'd much rather them start having a more intimate, personal relationship (away from court of course) since Missy is older and finally show the wisdom w/in her we know her to be capable of. I mean she cant share her doubts and woes w/ Barristan or Daario. Also I'd like to hear them talk more about Rhaegar and maybe an appearance from Qaithe?

I think the hair braiding thing wasn't as pointless as it seemed. I mean, yeah, it was kinda pointless and they could have spent those 2 minutes on something better (like talking about Rhaegar or Hizdhar or Daario or something relevant), but the setup itself did say something about Daenerys. You know, back in S01, she was the one getting her hair braided by Irri learning Dothraki and talking about men with Doreah, and now she's a confident grown up woman and she's the one braiding Missandei's hair and the more experienced with romance. So in a way that scene was a nice motif showing how the roles changed and how she's so different now. Other than that, I absolutely agree, they are throwing screentime out of the window and purposely delaying important plot lines just so ASOS can take up 2 entire seasons which it wouldn't, in truth, if they pulled themselves together and paid just a tiny bit more mind to the story.

I doubt Qaithe will appear. I had really high hopes for frequent Rhaegar references after the first episode, but alas... I also had very high hopes for a medal with Elia's portrait inside that Oberyn would show somebody (not just because I'm a hopeless Elia fan, but also because it would have materialized her and why Oberyn is here and kinda made it memorable for the audience) or something similar. I expected just a brief conversation between Ellaria and Oberyn about Elia, we got to see too little of them too... Well, what I'm saying is that's all about hopes and expectations :lol:

Ellaria's scream. Ellaria and Oberyn together in their last scenes. They were the best couple on this show. :bawl: I knew what was coming, but Oberyn's gory death hit me hard.

I so agree. :agree:

How about that lovely little bit of foreshadowing from Littlefinger?

"People die squatting over their chamber pots."

Wait for it........

Is it just me or does no spoilers actually mean NO SPOILERS!!! As in NONE, NOTHING, NADA! 8 out of the 10 topics for this episode are for spoilers and you still can't help yourselves. Pathetic.

ezraeqonem, on 02 Jun 2014 - 12:15 AM, said:

I’ve never posted on here before, though I’ve been reading this forum and watching the show since season 1. But I loved so many things about this episode; I just had to write something.

I was thinking about the Tyrion/Jaime conversation about how there’s a word for every kind of killing, and kind of ticking off in my head how many we’ve seen so far, and then it hit me: Jaime killed his cousin, Alton, back in S2. And here he immediately brought up that there’s no word for cousin-killing, like even though the psychological aftermath of that scene was never really explored on-screen, it’s still been haunting him all this time. I found that really poignant.

I also liked Ramsay’s line to “Reek” about identity: “Remember what you are, and what you’re not.” I think that the theme of lost identity or “forgetting what you are” was kind of stitched through this entire episode. On one hand we have people who do seem to “remember what they are”: Sansa reveals who she is; Arya reveals who she is; and Reek kind of goes back to Theon (if what’s who he really is). On the other hand we have people who don’t remember who they are: Theon, again, who is now Reek; Oberyn, who convinces himself that he is invincible, only to be proved horribly wrong; and Ramsay himself, who is given this new identity as a Bolton. The bastard connection especially is so fascinating because Ramsay’s advice to Reek is really just a twisted version of Tyrion’s advice to Jon in S1 (i.e. “Let me tell you something, Bastard. Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor and it can never be used to hurt you.”)

that thing about jaime is a great idea. i totally forgot about that. that made that scene so much better.

-OH HOUND...LOOK AT YOUR LITTLE BIRD NOW...SEEMS LIKE SANSA IS STARTING TO ADOPT SOME OF CERSEI'S ADVICE FROM BACK DURING THE BLACKWATER

"TEARS AREN'T A WOMEN'S ONLY WEAPON, THE BEST ONES BETWEEN YOUR LEGS" HOT DAMN, HOPE SHE DOESN'T TAKE THAT TOO FAR :o

AND WHO CARES IF SHE'S DRESSED LIKE A DISNEY WITCH...GIRLFRIEND LOOKS HOT!

-DANY LETTING THE "SWEET KHALESSI DIE AND THE BITTER QUEEN BE BORN" -I THOUGHT EMILIA NAILED THAT SCENE

-MISSANDEI AND GREY WORM...I ENJOYED THIS BEING ADDED FOR THE SHOW, IT'S BITTERSWEET

-ROOSE B'S VOICE...

-GILLY AND THE MOLE'S TOWN MASSACRE...REALLY DUG THE WAY YGRITTE'S HAND WAS SHAKING WHEN SHE TOLD THE BABY TO "SSHH" SUBTLE BUT GOOD

... BETTER STOP HERE :P

SANSAAAAAA!!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

I am now on a mission to find a copy of Sansa's statement necklace she wore at the end. It looks so contemporary and striking; I could wear it and not feel like I'm wearing "Ren-Faire dress-up jewelry." I'm going to haunt Etsy. And I am not the only one; Lucky fashion magazine had a squeeing article on that necklace. I predict it's going to be a hot item for holiday gifts: http://www.luckymag.com/style/2014/06/sansa-stark-game-of-thrones-dress

Oh gosh, that was an incredible episode. I had hoped the duel would be everything they built it up to be after three episodes of waiting for it. I've read the books several times, and many times throughout the HBO series I was disappointed with how they twisted the original story. This episode was not one of those times.

Even though I knew what was going to happen to Oberyn, I still was just in utter shock at the end of the episode after seeing it played out on the screen. It was gutwrenching in a way that the duel in the books just didn't compare to (for me at least). I really liked Oberyn, he was a very charismatic character, and easy to like. Not to mention one of the only people in King's Landing with a sense of justice. It was cool to see him wield that spear like that and do rolls and flips across the Plaza, dance around the Mountain while antagonizing him, and getting tossed like a ragdoll.. The look on Ellaria Sand's face when Clegane punched him and his teeth go clattering across the ground, and the death wail screech she makes when he pops his head like a waterballoon. Just absolutely gut-wrenching. I was just speechless after that. Alas, Red Viper, I shall miss you. May you ride forever in the nightlands, err, or whereever Dornish princes go when they die.

Sansa, Sansa, Sansa, Sansa. Finally. You have embraced the Game. Finally she stepped out of her meek, mousy shell and got it done. Pretty soon Baelish will be wrapped around HER finger. Her character is really blossoming on the show.

The scene between Jamie and Tyrion was great. Definetely the best scene of them together yet. I had to laugh a few times.

Missandei naked.. Ooh man she's hot. Though in her defence, I would feel awkward with a Eunuch looking at me like that too. Meat and potatoes, or just potatoes? Our sweet Queen asks. LOL.

Man this was a great Episode. Maybe almost great enough to rival Blackwater bay. Though I'm not sure anything can top that.

When Tyrion realizes that the Mountain is gonna kill the Viper and says "Oh he's going to die, I'm going to die" - love his delivery there.

I always liked Sansa, but now I'm loving her.

Grey Worm/Missandai scenes where great. Not filler scenes imho, just great additons. Loved Grey Worms "jamaican acccent" (saying I instead of me). I don't care if they're in the book or not. If they're going to show those two kissing and perhaps cuddling or something, that'd be beautiful.

And the often mentioned Arya-laugh of course was great. Maisie rules.

Archived