why cant..

The Others Side

You do realize that in Westeros the huge majority of the population is too poor to own a horse, grab a sword, and go "adventuring", don't you?

Not to mention that the characters in Westeros who do go "adventuring" sure don't seem to enjoy it much.

In before the thread is locked! :P

Even if I had complete immunity from all diseases I wouldn't want to set foot in Westeros. That's what's good about having the books, I can live the adventure and not worry about where my next meal is coming from, raiders burning down my hut, lack of clean running water, electricity, no phone, no lights, no motor cars, not a single luxury!

ETA:

I love how these nostalgic reactionary types always imagine they're gonna be the ones riding the horse and swinging the sword.

I'd say "nostalgic reactionary" is giving too much credit. It's more youthful naivety, or you know, just plain brainless.

The thing is, sure they all had problems back in medieval-land fun-type world, but they were different problems. Specifically, different problems than the ones that I face. Thus, escape, and escapism. This is also why I like the Bakkerverse. I'm sure I'd be a caste-menial, a slave, living a life of degradation and suffering... but I could accept it, because I wouldn't live in a culture with upwards mobility or the American Dream or this obligation to improve yourself by your own bootstraps and acquire wealth and fit in and be happy. There was no expectation of any of that crap, so you just accepted the hand you were dealt.

The thing is, sure they all had problems back in medieval-land fun-type world, but they were different problems. Specifically, different problems than the ones that I face. Thus, escape, and escapism. This is also why I like the Bakkerverse. I'm sure I'd be a caste-menial, a slave, living a life of degradation and suffering... but I could accept it, because I wouldn't live in a culture with upwards mobility or the American Dream or this obligation to improve yourself by your own bootstraps and acquire wealth and fit in and be happy. There was no expectation of any of that crap, so you just accepted the hand you were dealt.

You are crazy. We haven't been explicitly told that suicide is a sin in Bakkerverse, and it seems like pretty much everything else is, so first thing I'd be doing there is offing myself and hoping like hell I figured it out. If I'm wrong, I don't really see the difference in 20 years in an utter shithole then an eternity of torment vs an eternity of torment.

Archived