"Positive Nitpicking" - What you loved about the episode [NO SPOILERS]

Maybe you're right. He must have suffered quite a concussion indeed! Still to have watched some sports such as Hockey and American football I can tell you that such a blow on the head, even with an helmet on, more than often result in the player lying on the ground completely knocked-out, adrenaline or not.

But hey it's an epic Fantasy show! :)

Actually, most football and hockey players get concussions without even realizing it and continue to play without incident. The symptoms can be immediate or delayed by hours or even days in some cases. Most concussions don't knock you out...that's why they used to be called "ringing your bell" because you are dazed, but still conscious and you can still play and make decisions. And other concussions can knock you out, but only for a second or two. I'm sure that Jon has a concussion, but it doesn't necessarily mean he would be knocked out or even unable to make decisions. The adrenaline would just keep him from feeling the pain as intensely right away.

The most common concussion symptom with professional athletes is they continue doing what they're doing, and have no recollection of it afterwards. They often puke too, though, just something extra Jon could've done to distract the Thenn.

Jon Snow. Kicked Ass and channelled Sean Bean sans dying at the end.

Seriously, he some great Sean Bean grizzled wince acting.

And his little boyish smile when he saw Ygritte. Happy for the only time in Game of Thrones so far.

I was surprised at how much I was rooting for Alliser Thorne, I thought he was brilliant in this episode. Overall I thought it was a good episode, it could always be better. As to Jon's head bouncing off the anvil, I'm a former hockey player who has had 2 confirmed concussions, I will say adrenaline really pushes you through that is as long it doesnt knock you out right away.

The 360 shot was just wonderful. A big plus for Tormund in the middle laughing malevolently and jumping up and down like a kid on a sugar rush. But i guess berserking does that to you.

The fighting scenes were FAST and beautifully choreographed. GOT fighting scenes usually seems kind of sluggish to me.

Personally, I very much loved the look Jon gave Ygritte. It was joy, it was sadness, is was relief and resignation. I liked the look of the sword play when Jon fought as well. The scene with Sam comforting Pyp struck the right tone for me. So did the tunnel scene.

I bet Karl Tanner was smiling up from Hell when he saw Jon's move. ("I showed 'im that fookin move!")

Get out of my head...I thought the same exact thing, quote and all when I saw Jon do that XD

I really enjoyed this episode. I'm always happy to see more Edd and Aemon. There were a couple of changes that irked me, but generally I liked it. At first I was a bit 'WTF?' since they were said to only be 100 strong and it seemed like they were losing dozens of men and I was certain that in the book far fewer died, but generally I thought it was an engaging episode. I was so absurdly proud when Jon gave Edd the wall.

The deaths of Pyp and Grenn, and the last stand to hold the gate were really very emotional moments.

I was pleased that they more or less stuck to the script when Ygritte died. Both actors did a wonderful job in that scene. I'd been sure that the little kid was going to shoot her since his line about being the best archer in his village so I wasn't surprised.

Upon rewatching the episode, I think the actors are what carried this episode - not the fighting/effects. The actors who play Grenn, Pyp, Alliser and (surprise to me) Edd were all excellent. And Kit did a fine job as well.

If only the fucking writers could pull their shit together,

I didn't think this about this episode but there have been plenty of times where I think the cast has carried the writing and decisions the show has made

I didn't think this about this episode but there have been plenty of times where I think the cast has carried the writing and decisions the show has made

Definitely.

Alife Allen SINGLE HANDILY carried the second season. (at least, for me personally)

Not even joking, if it wasn't for his performances in the second season, I would most likely never rewatch that season ever again. He deserved the Emmy, not Dinklage.

Archived