Netflix's new epic drama - 'Marco Polo'

AncalagonTheBlack

I just finished episode 10 and I'm kind of pissed.

I went from :

Wow, what an amazing hour of television! This battle...

They really know how to use the money.

to

WTF?! Why did they ruin everything with this final scene?

It was clear from the start that it was Ahmad who sent the Assassins, but the painting... really ? One would ask for a painting for his horrible high treason plan and display it in his own apartments like that... ?! Really ?!

I've never seen anything more ridiculous than that.

It's a shame, because the show was really great.

Watched the third episode, the whole virgin princess who bones the foreigner was soooooooooooooooooo stupid. Plus did they do it, or was that just dry humping. I mean, logistically, actual intercourse did not look possible?

You do realize that 90% of sex scenes in fiction are like that, right ? (meaning logistically impossible)

My problem with Marco Polo.... besides the dialogue .... is that its not sure what kind of show it wants to be.... sometimes its rooted in history/reality (or at least it tries to be),,,, and sometimes its a special effects/fantasy show.....

The war/battle scenes are pretty cool.... as are the high wire/acrobatic fight scenes.... but they don't belong in the same show.

Oh they do. And the show knows exactly what it wants to be : an Asian show, appealing to western market.

That's how Asian shows are, blending the fantasy (the flying kung fu fighters) and the history.

Both wrong. It's a western show for the western market that uses patronizing Orientalist stereotypes to pander to its western audience.

LOL. Well, I never spoke about objective facts. I was speaking about their desires. And Asian market is indeed huge.

LOL. Well, I never spoke about objective facts. I was speaking about their desires. And Asian market is indeed huge.

ah, right ;-) It's not ment for the Asian market imo. Leaving aside the patronizing orientalism, I just don't think that Netflix really has a strong presence in Asia.

ah, right ;-) It's not ment for the Asian market imo. Leaving aside the patronizing orientalism, I just don't think that Netflix really has a strong presence in Asia.

I agree that the show is created primarily for the western audience. But, the orientalism in the show, patronizing or not could be appealing to certain corners of Asian market. I am curious whether this was indeed meant to be some new worldwide TV phenomenon such as GoT hence my assessment "GoT meets China" (even though I think comparisons with GoT are ridiculous). Regardless of accuracy or patronizing tone.

China licenses and streams every existing American show...

You'd be surprised of the success those shows have there.

I don't think Netflix has a presence there, for the sole reason that they already have (local) streaming giants (and that China wouldn't let a western company handle that). But their shows are sure as hell to have a presence.

I agree that the show is created primarily for the western audience. But, the orientalism in the show, patronizing or not could be appealing to certain corners of Asian market. I am curious whether this was indeed meant to be some new worldwide TV phenomenon such as GoT hence my assessment "GoT meets China" (even though I think comparisons with GoT are ridiculous). Regardless of accuracy or patronizing tone.

I must say I'll have to disagree with you there. More than any other show currently airing, Marco Polo and GoT share DNA. It's much more ridiculous to compare something like GoT to Vikings or Vikings to MP.

China licenses and streams every existing American show...

You'd be surprised of the success those shows have there.

I don't think Netflix has a presence there, for the sole reason that they already have (local) streaming giants (and that China wouldn't let a western company handle that). But their shows are sure as hell to have a presence.

I don't think China will allow this. They didn't even give permission to film Marco Polo there. From what I have heard, the Chinese establishment isn't found of the Yuan Dynasty at all.

I must say I'll have to disagree with you there. More than any other show currently airing, Marco Polo and GoT share DNA. It's much more ridiculous to compare something like GoT to Vikings or Vikings to MP.

Well, yeah, if we are comparing MP to anything on TV now, GoT seems like a logical choice. But, personally I don't like that everything fantasy or history related is being named as "new GoT". I would compare MP with Tudors or Borgias/Borgia, White Queen, for example. It lives in that genre. But, production-wise, I see where it comes from.

I just finished episode 10 and I'm kind of pissed.

I went from :

Wow, what an amazing hour of television! This battle...

They really know how to use the money.

to

WTF?! Why did they ruin everything with this final scene?

It was clear from the start that it was Ahmad who sent the Assassins, but the painting... really ? One would ask for a painting for his horrible high treason plan and display it in his own apartments like that... ?! Really ?!

I've never seen anything more ridiculous than that.

It's a shame, because the show was really great.

I agree, and he had been pushing everything that has happened. but I think the point of the painting was 1. the big come out moment, for those that didn't get it. 2. It showed the Chinese woman that he and her are on the same side. 3. Shows he is getting too cocky for his own good.

I enjoyed the season and would watch another if it gets made. It didn't pull me in to where I HAD to watch as many in a row as I could, but, I did enjoy it.

My takes in general.

The harem selection scene was silly. Yeah, I loved seeing all the naked women, but it was really not needed, nor the drugged orgy scene.

Strangely enough I seem to think differently than most. I actually really enjoyed the naked killer concubine scene. I mean, it is something that isn't done very often and I liked it.

I could care less about the Blue Princess and sadly, Marco himself. They are just in the way of the characters I actually like seeing.

Not sure where rotten tomatoes gets its 27% rating from.

Because it's really average. Not sure how anyone could think this is better than GoT. Nothing so far has made me say I have to watch the next episode. Maybe episode 4 is really that good?

If you only watch the fight sequences than yes. The rest of the series is quite shitty.

Does it really not get any better?

Archived