Did Drogon realize that eating Hazzea was wrong?

Panos Targaryen

They tried to catch him three times so he decided to leave Meereen. There were no further incidents because Drogon didn't mean to kill Hazza -- she just got in the way. Either she got in the way or her father is lying. It was a terrible accident.

The show handles this perfectly: We see Drogon killing the goat but sparring the child in one episode. We are told Drogon killed a girl in another episode.

Makes sense since the show and books are exactly the same without even the slightest deviation.....

Seriously I'm no Dany hater but why is it so hard for some to believe a dangerous untamed animal acted like an dangerous untamed animal? If you can't deal with the prospect of a dragon munching out on an innocent kid maybe A Song of Ice and Fire isn't the series for you.

Makes sense since the show and books are exactly the same without even the slightest deviation.....

Seriously I'm no Dany hater but why is it so hard for some to believe a dangerous untamed animal acted like an dangerous untamed animal? If you can't deal with the prospect of a dragon munching out on an innocent kid maybe A Song of Ice and Fire isn't the series for you.

When has a dragon ever killed someone in this series without provocation? Dany had three dragons roaming freely since the first book but they never killed anyone before (unless ordered to do so). Now that she's in a city full of enemies, Drogon is accused of killing a child -- that doesn't seem suspicious to you?

How come Rhaegal and Viserion are now free in the city but haven't killed anyone else provoked? They eat mutton and mutton only. Drogon flies into the fighting pit to eat the boar and (dead) Barsena and doesn't attack anyone until they attack him first.

Anyway. I think there's more to the situation because dragons in ASOIAF don't hunt humans and eat them as prey. But don't suggest I'm unable to handle the material because you've decided to take things at face value.

Drogon is a wild animal. He might have some concept of punishment (although when has he ever been punished or disciplined?) but in terms of "conscience," no.

Also, I absolutely loathe the "Harpy did it" excuse, because it completely absolves Dany of her mistake in not properly training her dragons when she had the chance. It just comes off like another cop-out to avoid having to admit that she screwed up. Narrative-wise, it feels extremely cheap if it's just some hit job against her. That's the entire point of the dragon relationship at this point: She slacked off with their training and domestication, and eventually the piper came calling. And she feels ultimately responsible for it, as well she should. Hand-waving it away as some sort of devious plot takes all of that consequence and throws it out the window. It's also forgetting that the guy doesn't make his accusation in front of the full audience hall and doesn't try to shake her down for money beyond the blood price that she offers, which you'd think he'd do if his aim were actually slander and extortion.

Anyway. I think there's more to the situation because dragons in ASOIAF don't hunt humans and eat them as prey. But don't suggest I'm unable to handle the material because you've decided to take things at face value.

He might not even have been hunting her. If she were among a small herd of goats or other livestock, he could have been aiming for an animal and burned her with it. He doesn't seem to have eaten her, only burned her to death such that only bones are left.

I always considered Dany's babies to be wyverns, Wyverns are dragon-like creatures but with only one pair of legs and wings.

Dragons are usually pictured with 4 legs and and wings (The European kind) or without legs or with rudimentary small legs and long wingless serpent-like bodies( the Asian kind). The term 'dragon' usually defines every serpent-like or lizard-like mythical creatures, so wyverns are included under the class 'draco',but they are a different species from the actual dragon. Kinda like snakes and lizards..they are both reptiles, but are very different. Wyverns are portrayed as the less intelligent cousins of dragons. They are smaller, more violent and can't talk.

Has anyone else considered this? I figured it out that they look like wywerns after watching Merlin a few years ago.

Also..I think the dragons know who is their mother and that she is different than them. I think it was just a scheme as well and Drogon never did it. But we shall see.

When has a dragon ever killed someone in this series without provocation? Dany had three dragons roaming freely since the first book but they never killed anyone before (unless ordered to do so). Now that she's in a city full of enemies, Drogon is accused of killing a child -- that doesn't seem suspicious to you?

How come Rhaegal and Viserion are now free in the city but haven't killed anyone else provoked? They eat mutton and mutton only. Drogon flies into the fighting pit to eat the boar and (dead) Barsena and doesn't attack anyone until they attack him first.

I find it terribly ironic that an individual who's tag is "Let the priests argue over good and evil" is getting so hot and bothered by the idea that Dany's beloved monsters are actually monsters completely devoid of innate morality. Also not for nothing but what would be gained by staging it in the first place? This angle has been debunked eight ways to sunday on this board so I'm not going to waste my time outlining arguments you'll never bother to listen to anyway. Like I said in my previous post I'm firmly team Dany but lets not romanticize what dragons are. They are essentially the WMDs of Planetos. A certain amount of collateral damage is to be expected and Hazzea just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I always considered Dany's babies to be wyverns, Wyverns are dragon-like creatures but with only one pair of legs and wings.

Dragons are usually pictured with 4 legs and and wings (The European kind) or without legs or with rudimentary small legs and long wingless serpent-like bodies( the Asian kind). The term 'dragon' usually defines every serpent-like or lizard-like mythical creatures, so wyverns are included under the class 'draco',but they are a different species from the actual dragon. Kinda like snakes and lizards..they are both reptiles, but are very different. Wyverns are portrayed as the less intelligent cousins of dragons. They are smaller, more violent and can't talk.

Has anyone else considered this? I figured it out that they look like wywerns after watching Merlin a few years ago.

Also..I think the dragons know who is their mother and that she is different than them. I think it was just a scheme as well and Drogon never did it. But we shall see.

Nah. TPAQ and the Rogue Prince both show dragons, and their appearance and behavior are the same as Dany's dragons. Unless you mean from an out-of-universe perspective that they're not actual dragons. There I agree, but a wyvern's body is more anatomically realistic than that of a "real" dragon. There are no 6-limbed

vertebrates in real life, but there are with 4 limbs (since the wings themselves are limbs). Wyverns are closer to "real" animals.

OP, read Gould's work on non-moral nature.

You example about dogs isn't a good one. Dogs learn what is or is not allowed by their owners (or their pack) by the reactions of the owner (or the pack's alpha dog). They are not born knowing that certain things are "bad."

Bones they were, broken bones and blackened. The longer ones had been cracked open for their marrow.

“It were the black one,” the man said, in a Ghiscari growl, “the winged shadow. He come down from the sky and … and …”No. Dany shivered. No, no, oh no.

“Are you deaf, fool?” Reznak mo Reznak demanded of the man. “Did you not hear my pronouncement? See my factors on the morrow, and you shall be paid for your sheep.”

“Reznak,” Ser Barristan said quietly, “hold your tongue and open your eyes. Those are no sheep bones.”

No, Dany thought, those are the bones of a child

Drogon hasn't simply burned the child, he seems to have eaten her as well. The bones have actually been cracked open for their marrow. There is also no doubt that these are real human bones from Barristan and Dany's comments.

I don't see why this is implausible, given how Drogon feeds on that pit fighter in the ring. The girl's father also looks like he is quite unlikely to be a liar. Dany wonders the exact same thing, and concludes he is likely not.

One man lingered behind as the rest were filing out—a squat man with a windburnt face, shabbily dressed. His hair was a cap of coarse red-black wire cropped about his ears, and in one hand he held a sad cloth sack. He stood with his head down, gazing at the marble floor as if he had quite forgotten where he was. And what does this one want? Dany wondered.

As Dany stood, her tokar began to slip. She caught it and tugged it back in place. “You with the sack,” she called, “did you wish to speak with us? You may approach.”

When he raised his head, his eyes were red and raw as open sores. Dany glimpsed Ser Barristan sliding closer, a white shadow at her side. The man approached in a stumbling shuffle, one step and then another, clutching his sack. Is he drunk, or ill? she wondered. There was dirt beneath his cracked yellow fingernails.

Her name had been Hazzea. She was four years old. Unless her father lied. He might have lied. No one had seen the dragon but him. His proof was burned bones, but burned bones proved nothing.

He might have killed the little girl himself, and burned her afterward. He would not have been the first father to dispose of an unwanted girl child, the Shavepate claimed. The Sons of the Harpy might have done it, and made it look like dragon’s work to make the city hate me. Dany wanted to believe that …

but if that was so, why had Hazzea’s father waited until the audience hall was almost empty to come forward? If his purpose had been to inflame the Meereenese against her, he would have told his tale when the hall was full of ears to hear.

Given the description of the man and his eyes and the fact that he did not spread the tale, coupled with the fact that Drogon has been shown to feed on human flesh and the fact that the Harpy couldn't have expected Dany to lock up her dragons, I have no doubt that Drogon really did burn and eat Hazzea.

I still think the burnt child was a ploy by the Sons of the Harpy to rein in Daenerys and her dragons prior to the Yunkish siege. Having grown up around humans and having had a human 'mother,' I think they were not interested in eating them and only burnt them when commanded by their mama.

:agree:

If the Harpies indeed killed Hazzea, I would like to know the answers to the questions Dany asked:

but if that was so, why had Hazzea’s father waited until the audience hall was almost empty to come forward? If his purpose had been to inflame the Meereenese against her, he would have told his tale when the hall was full of ears to hear.

I thought it was because Drogon knew they were going to lock him up, like they did with the other dragons? Though, it's possible he knew his mama wasn't happy with him - the dragons have shown to be able to sense Dany's emotions before.

Though I think dragons actually attacking humans in the wild is rare. The wild dragons that used roam on Dragonstone seldom outright attacked people (though they ate their livestock). But of course these kinds of incidents happen. If something irritate or scare a wild dragon it will answer with it's full arsenal.

That's not so surprising. Humans are generally further down the "preferred diet" list for most animals.

If the Harpies indeed killed Hazzea, I would like to know the answers to the questions Dany asked:

The intent may not have been to inflame the public (they were already successfully doing that), but to get Dany to lock up the dragons.

It's absolutely believable, but so is it being a ploy by the Harpy to strike at Dany's symbol of power.

The intent may not have been to inflame the public (they were already successfully doing that), but to get Dany to lock up the dragons.

And while they're at it, wouldn't it make even more sense to tell the public, especially if they want to provoke a reaction from Dany?

Also, I doubt they would have expected her to simply lock up her dragons at that stage. She was the evil foreign Queen who uses dragons to attack peaceful envoys, as far as they were concerned.

And while they're at it, wouldn't it make even more sense to tell the public, especially if they want to provoke a reaction from Dany?

Also, I doubt they would have expected her to simply lock up her dragons at that stage. She was the evil foreign Queen who uses dragons to attack peaceful envoys, as far as they were concerned.

the court was already called off and they were told to get the ransom on the morrow....so he didnt have the chance to present it in the court

the court was already called off and they were told to get the ransom on the morrow....so he didnt have the chance to present it in the court

He had deliberately waited until the audience hall was empty to come forward.

Not only that, it is quite easy to create a scene and spread the the, if the Harpies so desired.

Archived