More homosexuality in the series

TheWitch

It should... although, we're talking spoiler territory here!

now I think about it... poor Arianne indeed. He probably expects to cause a good impression in Aegon and he falls for Elia. Then, she tries to match/seduce/charm Connington and Dareon is around... life's not fair =(

I already feel the sexuality within the series is a little bit over the top. Jon already had a relationship and showed not one tendency in my view of alternate lifestyle. I for one think it would be against the characters premise. On the other hand we have had some other characters that have showed experimentation and premise. Their characters are not that established which would make for a more fluent contextual read.

I'm only on page 3, but I wanna say....

I was COMPLETELY taken aback when i saw Sallador Saan with some whores in the hottub on the show. I kinda figured it was fairly obvious he was gay in the book. With all the gay characters, and him being openly reffered to as "flamboyant" by Davos (surprised my boy even knew that word)

I think this series has a wonderfully broad amount of sexuality... considering it's based on history of our world. It seems Martin got it down, as homosexuality really has been in existence since we developed the ability to have complex thought. Isn't the main reason it was not the norm because the main goal of any house is for it to continue from trueborn heirs? I am not anti-gay-bi-tranny(insert anything else i might be forgetting, i don't like labels), but kids come from man+woman intercourse.... So the marriage etc things that some of the posters are hitting on is relatively moot, as their pride/statement would be the downfall of the house, making it effectively not that much of a statement. I think that's why most people, even men, marry for political reasons over love by large. To keep noble blood and continue the House. I don't really see this society embracing a homosexual marriage because it would end the house, not because people are anti-gay. but by and large, sex is for reproduction as most kids die young etc... so having a solo partner incapable of producing heirs of true blood seems kind of silly, and in this aspect actually is.

I am not sure how someone could write in a homosexual monogamus (spelling, i know) relationship without it making absolutely no sense, once again, in this specific age the books are written in. It seems it is done quite wonderfully and although I am sure specific readers want more, as sadly this many characters of complete homosexuality, or curious of it, are plain lacking in most stories. Where I come from (Central MN, USA) I come across anywhere between 1-5 openly homosexual individuals daily(ID'ed by bumper stickers, t-shirts, or just them making sure I and everyone around knows), so the amount in the books seems a bit "on par" at least where I am located. A much better representation the the "Flaming" people we see put into sitcoms as comic relief, etc.... I am sorry if this happened to offend anyone, I don't really pay attention to being PC because i do not care, in any way, about someones sexuality, skin color etc. I try, but not too hard, to put things in the right way. I figure the best way to deal with it is to treat everyone as people. As it seems that GRRM has done in his books. It doesn't seem to matter to the majority of characters, because, well...... who really cares who someone brings to bed? (wasn't there a necropheliac mentioned? or was that just in the show?)

In case you were unaware, Connington is also almost certainly homosexual (far more certain than the Blackfish.) and in love with Rhaegar.

Edit: there are also gay characters in The Princess and The Queen and The Rouge Prince, and of course Daemon II Blackfyre from the last Dunk & Egg story

He may also have had an affair with Myles Toyne, very homely looking (jug ears, crooked smile...) one of the leaders of the Golden Company, deceased alas!

And in the Tyrion chapter of TWoW one of the Second Sons commanders is saying good bye to his male bed slave just before battle...

(wasn't there a necropheliac mentioned? or was that just in the show?)

No, I have a strong suspicion that Qyburn might actually be that way inclined, and then there is the story of Night's King and his White Walker bride...

I'm only on page 3, but I wanna say....

I was COMPLETELY taken aback when i saw Sallador Saan with some whores in the hottub on the show. I kinda figured it was fairly obvious he was gay in the book. With all the gay characters, and him being openly reffered to as "flamboyant" by Davos (surprised my boy even knew that word)

I think this series has a wonderfully broad amount of sexuality... considering it's based on history of our world. It seems Martin got it down, as homosexuality really has been in existence since we developed the ability to have complex thought. Isn't the main reason it was not the norm because the main goal of any house is for it to continue from trueborn heirs? I am not anti-gay-bi-tranny(insert anything else i might be forgetting, i don't like labels), but kids come from man+woman intercourse.... So the marriage etc things that some of the posters are hitting on is relatively moot, as their pride/statement would be the downfall of the house, making it effectively not that much of a statement. I think that's why most people, even men, marry for political reasons over love by large. To keep noble blood and continue the House. I don't really see this society embracing a homosexual marriage because it would end the house, not because people are anti-gay. but by and large, sex is for reproduction as most kids die young etc... so having a solo partner incapable of producing heirs of true blood seems kind of silly, and in this aspect actually is.

I am not sure how someone could write in a homosexual monogamus (spelling, i know) relationship without it making absolutely no sense, once again, in this specific age the books are written in. It seems it is done quite wonderfully and although I am sure specific readers want more, as sadly this many characters of complete homosexuality, or curious of it, are plain lacking in most stories. Where I come from (Central MN, USA) I come across anywhere between 1-5 openly homosexual individuals daily(ID'ed by bumper stickers, t-shirts, or just them making sure I and everyone around knows), so the amount in the books seems a bit "on par" at least where I am located. A much better representation the the "Flaming" people we see put into sitcoms as comic relief, etc.... I am sorry if this happened to offend anyone, I don't really pay attention to being PC because i do not care, in any way, about someones sexuality, skin color etc. I try, but not too hard, to put things in the right way. I figure the best way to deal with it is to treat everyone as people. As it seems that GRRM has done in his books. It doesn't seem to matter to the majority of characters, because, well...... who really cares who someone brings to bed? (wasn't there a necropheliac mentioned? or was that just in the show?)

See, that's one I didn't pick up on. Can't say I agree or disagree as I'd need to read it again.

^Whatever their reasons are, they are more like the greeks. The Reach was pretty much like "who the hell cares if Renly likes men, as soon as him being King is a good thing for me". I wish many people could be like that in modern times about gay politicians. "Oh, he's gay... who cares as long as his work benefits me and our community".

hahahahaa... the worst part is Margaery practically explaining him that you need a man and a woman to have a baby like Renly is some sort of idiot :lol:

LOL, it was kind of like Oberyn spelling out bisexuality to that dumb male prostitute: "you like both the same, the men and the women?"

I doubt we'll be seeing any homosexuality, simply because none of the current POVs are gay (Except JonCon, but he's busy and dying, so I doubt he'll waste time in a brothel or have a fling with anyone).

I think it's for the best. I would like a JonCon's sex scene, yes. But not written by GRRMartin :lol:

LOL, it was kind of like Oberyn spelling out bisexuality to that dumb male prostitute: "you like both the same, the men and the women?"

Yeah, not only are the gay characters sex machines but also, they're dumb as fuck :lol:

Well, since this is about characters we think might be gay, when I first read the stories I honestly thought Ned and Robert might be secretly gay, and all the comments about them being 'closer than brothers' were met to hint at that, as well as Robert clearly hating his wife.

The reason I thought that though was more from what I heard a few co-workers saying about the GOT TV series before I read the books. I heard them talking about Renly and Loras and the differences from the books. I recalled them saying something along the lines of "the TV series opens with 2 of them openly in bed together, while the books are more subtle at hinting that he might enjoy his company more than his own wife's". When the book opened with Robert and Ned together, I assumed they had met the TV series opened that way in the first episode, and Ned and Robert were who they were referring to.

It wasn't until halfway through GOT that I started to doubt that Ned and Robert were really gay, when it was clear that Robert frequented brothels and fathered lots of bastards. That and Ned showed no sign of dissatisfaction at being married to Cat.

Archived