Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

I was gifted a Clarisonic two christmases ago and so far it has helped me keep the acne away. I have normal to dry skin and only wash my face and moisturize at night. Last time I used birth control pills to curve my acne was 15 years ago, felt like it drove me crazy. I was always angry for some reason and I also have a history of heart problem in my family so I haven't touched one since.

Have any of you used the SK ll facial essence? I'm just curious if it works as well as some people say.

I'm curious about this too, I've seen good reviews on sephora but not enough to make me buy it.

Have any of you used the SK ll facial essence? I'm just curious if it works as well as some people say.

I tried a number of SK II products, though I can't remember for sure whether I bought the facial essence. Probably, since it's the main product. While I liked it, I have to say that I didn't find it all that special. And yet I think it works wonders for others, so my skin might simply have been contrary as usual. At least it didn't cause any adverse reactions.

A huge pot of calcium bentonite clay turned up today. I got Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay from Amazon for about £8. I've read online to use it every day for a week or two while my skin is bad, then take it back to once or twice a week. Every day is spa day this week :laugh:

Definitely recommend taking your make up off every single night as standard (allowing for once in a blue moon when you may 'forget'). I feel sure it's helped my skin overall. My complexion was fine (no acne) right into my early 30's but as soon as I stopped taking BC tablets I'd get a monthly display of hormonal acne. However, once I started being strict about ALWAYS removing make up at night I hardly ever get them now. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I may or may not have dyed my hair a very bright copper. The cut is very asymmetrical (by design), with one side being pretty butch, and the other retaining a hint of femininity. If the photo ever goes up on Instagram, I'll link it here.

I cannot wait to see it - I know it's amazing! :love:

Definitely recommend taking your make up off every single night as standard (allowing for once in a blue moon when you may 'forget'). I feel sure it's helped my skin overall. My complexion was fine (no acne) right into my early 30's but as soon as I stopped taking BC tablets I'd get a monthly display of hormonal acne. However, once I started being strict about ALWAYS removing make up at night I hardly ever get them now. :)

Someone had asked for some basic advice, now that they were getting older, in an earlier thread, and I mentioned that years ago I had read the advice to wash your face every night, removing all make-up and the daily dirt we all accumulate (mainly from pollution).

The important part of the advice, I think, was not to use soap, as even the mildest soap is too harsh, but to find a good cleanser to use instead. I used Cetaphil for many years, but I have tried to eliminate parabens in my cosmetics, and I have switched to a paraben-free cleanser from Skinn that I buy on The Shopping Channel. Just checking, I see they have a new cleanser now, and since I've just run out, I guess I'll be buying it. http://www.theshoppingchannel.com/SKINN-Cosmetics-Skin-Care/Cleansers-Toners/Skinn-Sulfate-Free-Cleanser/pages/productdetails?nav=R:398310,N:127319,E:797653

I got a bit tipsy last night and gave one of my new Nars lipsticks to a friend. I mean, I have no problem with it -- I was gonna give her a few of my lipsticks anyway. In fact, I still need to give her a lipstick because I was going to give her a red, and she ended up leaving with Vivien, which is a plum. :lol:

• 1 month later...

I've been going much more androgynous (as much as I can muster, anyway, because I'm pretty femme) these days, to somehow complement the absurd and rather butch haircut I got in October. All of my beautiful bright lipsticks are in hibernation. I think I will have to resurrect them after Christmas. Ring in the new year with a magenta look.

That beats the heck out my trolling Ebay for a used set. :D

I wouldn't actually do that, but I considered it for a hot minute. :D

ETA: I haven't been doing bright lipsticks, either. I've been doing lots of eye makeup and neutral lip. I'm not happy enough to do a bright lip right now. :/

Elder Sister, let me help you overcome your desire for the $500 Nars box set....go to Target or Walmart or the Container Store or any other such store in your area that sells cute wood / sturdy paper product / plastic rectangular shaped boxes for less than $20. Buy cute box in favorite color of your choice. Take said box home and open. Go to your makeup stash and pick out the 20 most fabulous lipsticks you own. Line them up in the box arranged by color hue. Then go to your makeup stash and pick out the 20 most fabulous nail polished you own. Line them up in the box arranged by color hue. Now sit back and admire the fabulousness and revel in the fact you saved $480.

Elder Sister, let me help you overcome your desire for the $500 Nars box set....go to Target or Walmart or the Container Store or any other such store in your area that sells cute wood / sturdy paper product / plastic rectangular shaped boxes for less than $20. Buy cute box in favorite color of your choice. Take said box home and open. Go to your makeup stash and pick out the 20 most fabulous lipsticks you own. Line them up in the box arranged by color hue. Then go to your makeup stash and pick out the 20 most fabulous nail polished you own. Line them up in the box arranged by color hue. Now sit back and admire the fabulousness and revel in the fact you saved $480.

Sweet fancy Moses. You have channeled my dad, Lady N. :D

ETA: There is no way in Hades I would pay 500 bucks for a box of lipstick and nail polish. I did go on Ebay and look for it, though.

I'm so trashy.

Archived