Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

Yeah this shampoo is the only one I've ever found that doesn't make my hair and scalp feel like crap within a few hours of using. When I was younger I wanted to be fickle and switch around every few months but I learned if I stray, I pay. Not worth it.

I could not begin to know how many different shampoo/conditioner combinations I've tried since my early teens. I have in the past year gone from 40$ bottles to drug store brands and am happy with the results. But for me, the missing link was a thermal protector for drying my hair. That and a smidge of hair oil has changed my life.

I wash my hair daily. I don't blow dry on the weekends unless I am going out. I have tried dry shampoos with little success. Most of it is due to my work environment. I need to shower/wash my hair daily to get rid of the lingering chemical smell. Dry shampoo just doesn't do that. Or not for long enough. And my hair is too fine for the conditioner rinse. It would get matted down and gross feeling in no time.

Boy oh boy, I couldn't be more opposite. I started to change my shampoo with every bottle years ago. If I use the same shampoo for too long, my hair becomes totally lifeless.

I'm with you, FB. If I use the same shampoo for too long, my hair protests and gets back at me. If I switch to a different one, it gets back in line and does what I ask it to.

I used good ol' Prell shampoo for ages and ages. I've been thinking of going back to it, actually - if only I could find it!

I've been cowashing (conditioner only) for years, before that I washed it infrequently. Now I only use shampoo if I think I have build up. It's more than a course/fine thing, it's also about hair texture and products used. Lots of kinky, coily and very curly people cowash even with fine hair. I think it may work better on textured hair since it's more than likely to be dry. Also,if you cowash you have to be careful about products, because cowash doesn't remove some things that build up that shampoo removes: silicones, some polyquats, butters, oils, minerals from, hard water etc depending on an individual's hair. I avoid products with ingrediants that tend to build up. I think its common to shampoo occasionally to remove build up. And because of my hair type, I get a lot of volume no matter what, unless my hair is braided or twisted or something, so it's really not a choice I have to make since I have no intention of hot combing or relaxing my hair.

I have copious fine, straight hair (I'm Ojibwe, we all do). I shampoo every few days, and only hold off that long because I dye my hair. If I didn't, it'd be daily, because my hair can get oily and weighed down really easily

While I'm very clean, (I promise!) I probably wash my hair once a week. Yes, you heard that right - once a week. A little more often in the summertime.

My hair is thick and long, so it's a major PitA to go through the washing, drying process. My sisters, OTOH, say they have to wash every day or other day. They hate me.

:D

(I can't grow nails to save my life, though, so they get even with me that way.)

While I'm very clean, (I promise!) I probably wash my hair once a week. Yes, you heard that right - once a week. A little more often in the summertime.

My hair is thick and long, so it's a major PitA to go through the washing, drying process. My sisters, OTOH, say they have to wash every day or other day. They hate me.

:D

(I can't grow nails to save my life, though, so they get even with me that way.)

I can beat this because it's generally 2 weeks for me.

My hair seems to be unique in managing to be super fine AND super dry, I've tried a heap of different methods/products and no matter what I do washing it just destroys it and creates a super course uncontrollable frizz ball.

If I use products I've got to wash it more often but I usually avoid them other than a tiny bit of oil after each wash for that reason.

I went Stinkwasser shopping with my friend today. Tried a number of interesting Serge Lutens fragrances, plus a number of Odin and (untitled) by Maison Martin Margiela. The last of these was described by my friend as smelling like "suffocation." Which is right up my fucking alley.

Untitled was, in fact, very nice.

I also tried Odin 11, which went on weird, stayed weird, and then ended up in Old Spice territory. But it lasted for HOURS. So, point for longevity. Minus for not being the man my man could smell like.

I'm with you, FB. If I use the same shampoo for too long, my hair protests and gets back at me. If I switch to a different one, it gets back in line and does what I ask it to.

I used good ol' Prell shampoo for ages and ages. I've been thinking of going back to it, actually - if only I could find it!

Me too. Tbh, I just buy whatever's on offer. L'Oreal conditioner seems to be the best for my hair. I also use Herbal Essences for the nice smells. I have to wash it every day, as it gets crazy, and needs taming with various products.

Pantene is the devil though. It makes my hair so coarse and horrible.

I went Stinkwasser shopping with my friend today. Tried a number of interesting Serge Lutens fragrances, plus a number of Odin and (untitled) by Maison Martin Margiela. The last of these was described by my friend as smelling like "suffocation." Which is right up my fucking alley.

Untitled was, in fact, very nice.

I also tried Odin 11, which went on weird, stayed weird, and then ended up in Old Spice territory. But it lasted for HOURS. So, point for longevity. Minus for not being the man my man could smell like.

I'm pretty sure that Odin did smell like Old Spice.

So did you end up with (untitled)?

(Is it really called (untitled), or you can't remember the name?

:unsure:)

I'm using the Keratin products for my straightened hair. I have oily hair and I sweat (yay) so my bangs get yucky on a regular basis. Whenever I get super itchy hair I use Nioxin Cleanser and Scalp Therapy.

One of my favorite smells ever is Opium for Men because I love that dry, musky cedar quality. I've been thinking in the past few days that I'll seek some 'professional' advice for my next perfume purchase. I wonder if an expert can find me a musky, cedary perfume which isn't too sickly?

Any thoughts on using shampoos without chemicals like SLS? I have been reading some stuff about harmful chemicals, and then some brands purporting to be without SLS. Then there are people who say that such brand simply replace the SLS with other chemicals. Eh. I've tried Burts Bees, I think it's only ok.

Anyways I'm using Paul Mitchell. If you like your scalp to feel cool minty tingly, for shampoos, this one works most consistently for me. I will be desensitised some of the other tingly shampoos after using for a few times but this maintains the tinglyness. Has the side benefit of getting rid of light headaches. Got it cheaper from drugstore.com

One of my favorite smells ever is Opium for Men because I love that dry, musky cedar quality. I've been thinking in the past few days that I'll seek some 'professional' advice for my next perfume purchase. I wonder if an expert can find me a musky, cedary perfume which isn't too sickly?

Give Guerlain Mitsouko or Vol de Nuit a whirl. They are both very smoky, cedary scents. Mitsouko is my all time favorite and I wear it constantly.

Hard to say without knowing how to interpret "sickly," and also without knowing what else you like about Opium Pour Homme. That scent is classified as Oriental Spicy, but there are many cedar-and-musk perfumes in other olfactory groups, as well as a number that fall into Oriental Spicy. My suggestion is to go to a good perfume shop (Les Senteurs or Amouage) and chat with them about what you like and see if they can pair you with something. If nothing else, they will be able to nail down for you what aspects of OPH you like (and what constitutes "sickly" in your mind), so you can shop somewhere like a department store with knowledge and can ask more specifically for things you like (or avoid the things you don't). Good luck!

Archived