Makeup V: Inspired by a Diva

Fragile Bird

Yes -- it's put on as a base layer, upon which you then layer pigmented mascara. I've been using the Clinique mascara primer for the past year, and it's amazing. (I have very oily skin, which extends to my lashes -- no joke -- and that causes mascara to slide right off my lashes after about 3-4 hours. Primer has been a god-send for this issue.)

Did the opposite of acquiring makeup today. Instead, I went through the collection and got rid of a bunch of stuff that is old, or I just don't use. That's almost as satisfying as buying new stuff, gods help me.

It's still too hot and humid to bother with serious face painting right now. Even with the Murad matte lotion, I'm still pretty shiny by noon. (without it, I'm a sad sad grease pit by 9am, so I'm considering those extra three hours a big win.) Once fall kicks in, I'll go back into full hussy mode.

ETA: oh yeah, to follow up on the Dior primer -- it works quite well. I'm very happy with it thus far.

And the $22 lip balm -- that stuff is really pretty nice, but I don't think it's $22 worth of nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Bare Minerals Bareskin liquid foundation? I've been using this (linked) a bit this summer/fall for during the day and while I like it, I don't really need a sunscreen for going out at night, which is when I'd be wearing any kind of foundation in the fall/winter. The mineral aspect is very nice and the tint just evened things out for me instead of adding any sort of complexion colour.

http://www.coolasuncare.com/mineral/sunscreen-spf-30-tint-mineral

I'm also making efforts to rid the Mercenary abode of micro beads. All our handsoaps are foaming for the most part, straight up liquid if I haven't made a BBW run. My philosophy exfoliating products don't have any so I won't have to make any changes in face care which is nice because this routine has really settled my skin. I will need to drop Crest Pro Health toothpaste.

Speaking of settling my skin, being away from my work environment and traveling out of country was so incredibly nice on my skin and hair. I don't know if it was just being away from work, or that combined with different water, different air etc but my complexion was nearly zero red/splotchy and my hair was so soft. <sigh>

Regarding the plastic microbeads, I've been making my own toothpaste for a long time. I mix half coconut oil, half baking soda and make a paste. I add a little peroxide and a little peppermint castile soap. I love it. Makes my mouth feel cleaner than regular toothpaste and leaves no aftertaste. No cavities or any other dental problems. I have a sensitive mouth prone to canker sores and that has totally cleared up since I've only been using the homemade stuff.

Yeah, it's already much nicer today (after all hell broke loose last night).

I am still not sure exactly what my look is gonna be for the fall, so when I was getting rid of old lipsticks, I made sure to keep a couple of different shade families around.

Ack. You create a new look for the season? I'm behind on this decade.

Has anyone tried the Bare Minerals Bareskin liquid foundation? I've been using this (linked) a bit this summer/fall for during the day and while I like it, I don't really need a sunscreen for going out at night, which is when I'd be wearing any kind of foundation in the fall/winter. The mineral aspect is very nice and the tint just evened things out for me instead of adding any sort of complexion colour.

http://www.coolasuncare.com/mineral/sunscreen-spf-30-tint-mineral

I'm also making efforts to rid the Mercenary abode of micro beads. All our handsoaps are foaming for the most part, straight up liquid if I haven't made a BBW run. My philosophy exfoliating products don't have any so I won't have to make any changes in face care which is nice because this routine has really settled my skin. I will need to drop Crest Pro Health toothpaste.

Speaking of settling my skin, being away from my work environment and traveling out of country was so incredibly nice on my skin and hair. I don't know if it was just being away from work, or that combined with different water, different air etc but my complexion was nearly zero red/splotchy and my hair was so soft. <sigh>

Coola products look and sound good, but nowhere here sells them in the shop. I hear you on the microbeads: I think we're ok, but I never thought of checking the toothpaste. :( Have gone back to using bar soaps in the bathroom, which I love.

My skin and hair love temperate climates; my skin on my face is already feeling tighter (and not in a good way) from the drier air.

I've suddeny rediscovered a sense of adventure and picked up some stuff in the last week. Some red liquid lipstick, violet and black with sparkles fun lip glosses and another lip gloss which was a guess at my lips natural colour that is pretty much perfect. The violet looks even better than I imagined!

Toothpaste has micro beads? I use Crest, but it's generally either the gel or the paste, not a whitening one.

Dracarya, as we all know, hair grows back. Try the bangs, and if you decide it's not the right look, they'll grow out. :)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2014/09/18/why-dentists-are-speaking-out-about-the-plastic-beads-in-your-toothpaste/

Lady Narcissa, I would appeal that ruling with your insurance company. That's not correct, and it's beyond ridiculous. (But am puzzled because my mother and I had a discussion about your gorgeous skin. I left you and purchased a powder to mimic it and it has broken me out. Send me some retinol. :D)

I cut my own bangs two weeks ago. I just got a wild hair, literally. They look okay, I suppose. My hair is still growing out and I now resemble a dried up Fraggle Rock character. If anyone has suggestions for post menopausal hair, I would welcome them.

I bought two of the Nars lipsticks that X-Ray is talking about; I got the Anita and Audrey colors. I adore the Anita. It's a beige pink that is so flattering.

I'm also making efforts to rid the Mercenary abode of micro beads.

I had not heard of these before so I'm going to have to figure out if I use anything with them in it.

Lady Narcissa, I would appeal that ruling with your insurance company. That's not correct, and it's beyond ridiculous. (But am puzzled because my mother and I had a discussion about your gorgeous skin. I left you and purchased a powder to mimic it and it has broken me out. Send me some retinol. :D)

I cut my own bangs two weeks ago. I just got a wild hair, literally. They look okay, I suppose. My hair is still growing out and I now resemble a dried up Fraggle Rock character. If anyone has suggestions for post menopausal hair, I would welcome them.

You are too kind. All I can say is there must be really flattering light in Ralph Lauren! I guess we all look in the mirror and see the flaws that the casual observer does not. I mean from my perspective your hair looks fabulous so I don't know where you are getting this dried up Fraggle Rock comparison.

The problem with retin-a and over a certain age women is it is going to be assumed you are using it as an anti-aging product for wrinkles...which of course I don't have because of my still excessively oily skin. But my dermatologist did hook me up with a variation that I get through her and not have to deal with my insurance company. It does sort of remind me that just because something worked or didn't work at one point in your life doesn't mean you will react to it the same way later in your life. I had tried retin-a before in my 20s and felt it didn't help at all. Now that I am using it again, I do feel it is working for me and helping clear up my skin.

Archived