R+L=J v.91

J. Stargaryen

This a 100% True accounting.

Story time with Ser Creighton is my favorite.

I think these points regarding their relationship support the notion that it is quite plausible that Elia would have understood the need for Lyanna to become a second wife. Elia was described as a "good woman" which seems to be code for "doing her duty" as the princess, but not what you say about someone who is madly in love with Rhaegar. Following up with Rhaegar's fondness implies mutuality of feelings (but granted, not necessarily). GRRM saying "complicated" is also amazingly consistent with this theory. Keep in mind that GRRM is writing about a medieval time period and royal marriages in which love and duty mean something different than modern sentiments. He is also talking about a society that takes prophesy seriously and has allowed the royal family to behave is ways that might not be acceptable if done by others (incest, polygamy, etc.). Too many people seem to take modern sensibilities about these notions and implant them into the minds of these characters that GRRM has clearly described as being something other than modern.

Yes, I think the fact that we don't know anything is a sign that there is something to know. And I think it's that she knew Rhaegar's plans and, maybe not encouraged, but supported him. If we take Dany's vision in the HotU as somewhat accurate, then Elia knew about TPWTP and the Song of Ice and Fire.

I wonder if Lyanna spent some time at Summerhall...

It is on the way to the ToJ now that you mention it...

Haven't read that before. That was wonderfully laid out. I say we post your link and MntLion's TOJ analysis at the start of every thread. :cheers:

(ps: episode 2 of Radio Westeros was really well done!!)

Look what happened to the last thread, when I did put it on the first page. It always stirs up a hornet's nest.

As for those who say that GRRM has to write it before they believe it, consider Davos was dead and his hands were nailed to the gates of White Harbor; Jon's mother has been Wylla and some fisherman's daughter; and other things that I am sure you will recall that GRRM has written. Even if Jon thinks it, it may not be true. We need to evaluate what the truth is from what has been written, and by far the most likely thing is that Jon is legitimate, and heir. Some will say, "GRRM can be a troll and throw in a deus ex machina, discarding what has been written", but my thoughts would be that suddenly he would have thrown away and award winning series with a poorly formulated resolution.

I believe Viserys also beat Dany once, after a fight about her being born too late to give Rhaegar a happy marriage. Something about never looking twice at Lyanna. I'll look it up.

Dorne seems to have a different view of sex, love, and loyalty than the other kingdoms. Paramors are neither frowned upon or shamed. Whether she objected to the marriage specifically, we don't know. Imho, though, a Martell would be far less likely to be phased by their husband taking a lover than just about anyone.

I remember which Viserys quote you are referring to. But ask yourself: what did Viserys truly know? War was declared against his family, with as a cause that Rhargar had disappeared with a girl, while he was already married. A child of 7 or 8 might think: had my brother been happy with his marriage, he wouldn't gave left like this, with another.

Any deeper motives Rhaegar (might have) had would not have been shared with 8 year old Viserys.

And how well did the brothers actually know each other? Rhaegar was Prince of Dragonstone, and as of 275AC allowed to live there, as ot was his own seat in his own right from that moment on. We don't know if Rhaegar moved there immediately after turning 16, but do notice how close this is to 274/275AC, the possible birth years for Viserys.

Aerys and Rhaegar did not have a good relationship, and it deems Aerys' paranoia was a big reason (if not the whole reason) of this. Aerys' paranoia seems to have kicked in around 276/277AC (the Defiance at Duskendale). With Rhaegars marriage following closely (in 279/280AC), it is not unlikely that Rhaegar moved to his own seat with his wife, especially since it would be a good excuse, and it would take him away from Aerys and his mistrust. It is as of yet unknown where Rhaenys was born, after all, so Dragonstone remains a possibility.

This would mean however that Rgaegar and Viserys did not spend much time together. Adding to Viserys not really knowing Rhaegar at all.

Dorne is more open to keeping paramours,but that doesn't mean that every dornish person is. And there is a difference between a paramour, and a second wife. Big difference, even. It would mean children to contest with Elia's for the throne, for instance.

Look what happened to the last thread, when I did put it on the first page. It always stirs up a hornet's nest.

As for those who say that GRRM has to write it before they believe it, consider Davos was dead and his hands were nailed to the gates of White Harbor; Jon's mother has been Wylla and some fisherman's daughter; and other things that I am sure you will recall that GRRM has written. Even if Jon thinks it, it may not be true. We need to evaluate what the truth is from what has been written, and by far the most likely thing is that Jon is legitimate, and heir. Some will say, "GRRM can be a troll and throw in a deus ex machina, discarding what has been written", but my thoughts would be that suddenly he would have thrown away and award winning series with a poorly formulated resolution.

While I basically agree with your analysis virtually 100% and think the "nay sayers" are being silly, I want to stick up for them a little bit (just to try to give them the benefit of the doubt).

First, when they say they will believe it when GRRM says it, I think they mean says it and does not un-say it in the last book. In other words, I think they are suggesting that we have to wait for the entire series to be done to be sure of anything. I agree with you that if someone takes that position, then they might as well stay off the boards because the point of this thread is to speculate and draw logical conclusions based on the best available evidence, not to say, well we cannot know anything until the series is written, so lets just keep twiddling our thumbs here.

But more important, I don't know that GRRM has to be "tolling" us for R+L= legit J not to be true. Although I have an incredibly hard time imaging an alternative scenario, maybe GRRM has been planting different clues that we have been missing for the "real" resolution of the mystery. We have only been picking up on the "red herrings" suggesting R+L=legit J, but GRRM has been planning an even better resolution of the mystery and once we find out what it is, we will go back and see how the clues were all there and really pointing to this other alternative, but we just missed them and fell for the "head fake" of R+L=legit J.

Now I admit that the likelihood of this alternative being the case is virtually zero, which is why I think the contrarians are being silly. But I don't think they are suggesting GRRM is trolling (or "lying" as GRRM put it)--just that we are not as good at reading the clues as we think we are and maybe GRRM is building to a different resolution. I think they are wrong, and we, as a group, have been very good at deconstructing the clues, but technically they are correct that we cannot prove that until the last book is done.

Boy, that was hard defending ignorant people, but I did my best.

I find the remembrance of Jon Connington talking about when Rhaegar said but the dragon must have three heads after Aegon was born to be very supportive of the R+L=J theory. It is known that Aerys had been told by Maggy the Frog that PtwP would be born to his line, leading him to force Rhaegar to marry Elia. They mention that Elia was not made to have children as birth left her weak and barren.
Furthermore, when Melisandre notes she asks to see Azor Azai (spry if I misspell it) but the flames only show her Snow, supports that Jon is in fact tPtwP, which would mean, of course according to the prophecy, that he was born of Aerys line. There are no fool-proof theories, if it was obvious either way then this site wouldn't exist. So to say someone is wrong on either side of the discussion is silly

I find the remembrance of Jon Connington talking about when Rhaegar said but the dragon must have three heads after Aegon was born to be very supportive of the R+L=J theory. It is known that Aerys had been told by Maggy the Frog that PtwP would be born to his line, leading him to force Rhaegar to marry Elia. They mention that Elia was not made to have children as birth left her weak and barren.

Furthermore, when Melisandre notes she asks to see Azor Azai (spry if I misspell it) but the flames only show her Snow, supports that Jon is in fact tPtwP, which would mean, of course according to the prophecy, that he was born of Aerys line. There are no fool-proof theories, if it was obvious either way then this site wouldn't exist. So to say someone is wrong on either side of the discussion is silly

Add in the fact that we're all waiting for Rhaegar's 7th ruby.... (cue dramatic music)

I don't know what you mean, seriously I drew a blank on that.

Side note when I saw (cue dramatic music) Rains of Castamere blaring in my head

Oh sorry! Link J. Stargaryen's explanation: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88235-what-is-the-rhaegar-ruby-theory/?p=4479978

And yes, Rains of Castamere is totally dramatic music cue

Oh sorry! Link J. Stargaryen's explanation: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/88235-what-is-the-rhaegar-ruby-theory/?p=4479978

And yes, Rains of Castamere is totally dramatic music cue

Thank you, whats creepy about that, a small technicality since it's not 7 boys but humor me, Jon Snow would be the Seventh son... o.O

I remember which Viserys quote you are referring to. But ask yourself: what did Viserys truly know? War was declared against his family, with as a cause that Rhargar had disappeared with a girl, while he was already married. A child of 7 or 8 might think: had my brother been happy with his marriage, he wouldn't gave left like this, with another.

Any deeper motives Rhaegar (might have) had would not have been shared with 8 year old Viserys.

And how well did the brothers actually know each other? Rhaegar was Prince of Dragonstone, and as of 275AC allowed to live there, as ot was his own seat in his own right from that moment on. We don't know if Rhaegar moved there immediately after turning 16, but do notice how close this is to 274/275AC, the possible birth years for Viserys.

Aerys and Rhaegar did not have a good relationship, and it deems Aerys' paranoia was a big reason (if not the whole reason) of this. Aerys' paranoia seems to have kicked in around 276/277AC (the Defiance at Duskendale). With Rhaegars marriage following closely (in 279/280AC), it is not unlikely that Rhaegar moved to his own seat with his wife, especially since it would be a good excuse, and it would take him away from Aerys and his mistrust. It is as of yet unknown where Rhaenys was born, after all, so Dragonstone remains a possibility.

This would mean however that Rgaegar and Viserys did not spend much time together. Adding to Viserys not really knowing Rhaegar at all.

Dorne is more open to keeping paramours,but that doesn't mean that every dornish person is. And there is a difference between a paramour, and a second wife. Big difference, even. It would mean children to contest with Elia's for the throne, for instance.

I would also add that a woman reared in a culture where she has more rights, the less likely she is willing to go along if it offends her.

(Even when Daemon and Rhaenyra finally were able to marry, everyone was scandalized they didn't wait the proper year, but married six months into mourning).

Now, if Elia was "meh," about Rhaegar, got the Queens crown, and had Rhaegars assurance that none of Lyannas children posed a threat to hers, that would be different though she would still have assure Dorne and her brothers she didn't feel the least slighted.

(I also worship you for debunking the "besides she's Dornish" thing).:)

I have a theory, the theory may or may not have been compiled from material that came from Martins own notes, but probably didn't. The true story of Harrenhal how it all went down. Stannis appears to have played a huge role.

The true story of broken hearts and Harrenhal.

There Stannis saw him for the first time, The quiet wolf of Winterfell Ned Stark the stoic middle son of Lord Rickard, the younger brother of the loud, and obnoxious Brandon Stark whom everyone loved.

Stannis: Oh simpatico at long last a friend for my very own. "I shall call him Proud Wolf and we shall go everywhere together and have adventures and be the bestest pals that were ever pals and we can talk about Robert and Brandon behind their backs all the time, and god daaaamn! Is that his sister, she sure is pretty and single, oh man, finally a life of my very own."

"People let me tell you about my best friend

He's a cool-hearted Stark who'll love me to the end

People let me tell you about my best friend

He's a one wolf cuddly toy my up my down my pride and joy

People let me tell you now he's so much fun

Whether we're talking Elk to Wolf

Or whether we're talking second son to son

Cause he's my best friend now"

Stannis: Oh at long last someone who will understand me, yippie doodles,

Stannis; Ok he is just hanging by the bad with that short little frog dude. Alright it's time for this guy to shine. Who is going to have a new best friend? This guy, that's who. Ok, ok focus, what do I say, what do I say? Excuse me you must be exausted, cause you been running through my mind all day. No, damn it Stan don't be cheesy. This guy is cool, you got to be cool, be frosty. I got it "What's up my brother from another Other, hows things kickin up north?" No damn it to, Fresh Prince. Lets see... Hey I saw you arguing with my brother, you should never argue with an idiot Ned, can I call you Ned that's a great name? Never argue with an idiot Ned. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. That's Gold Stannis, gold. Time to move in for the w...

Robert: Ned you dumb SOB what are you doing alone by the Bar? I just talked Brandon into hooking you up with Ashara Dayne and he pulled it off, what the hell are you waiting for Brah.

Ned: You better not be yanking my chain again Bobby B, thee Ashara Dayne? Oh man you and Brandon are the best Bro's ever, I love you guys.

Bobby B: Happy birthday you SOB, now get in there before she sobers up.

Ned: It's not my Birthday?

Bobby B: Well don't tell her that BWAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAHA

Ned: I love you guys best wing men ever.

Bobby B: Wingman? Oh man don't say that, reminds me of my Brothers bird, tragic how that ended, poor bird. Hey did I ever tell you how I used to stick his hand in warm water while he slept? Numb nuts thought he was a bed wetter till he was 14. BWAAAAAAA HAHAHAHAHA.

Ned turns around

Stannis: I, I, I, I, bird, piss, Other mother...

runs off crying

Ned: Holy shit Robert I always thought you were joking about your brother.

The True story of Stannis continues. Enter the She Wolf

Down by the lake of Harrenhal Stannis sits crying.

Stannis: "Sniffle" Stupid Robert me and Ned were about to become super best friends and now everyone is calling me Ser Tinkles "Sniffles" I hate him!

Lyanna: Hey big guy you ok?

Stannis: Leave me along I'm fi... OOOOOOOOOMG. Lyanna Stark the she wolf of Winterfell.

Stannis thinks to himself: Ok be cool Stannis, be cool.

Lyanna: I saw what your brother did, he's such a dick.

Stannis: "Sniffle" (his voice rising) He is a dick!

Lyanna: I can't stand your brother, he is such a lush.

Stannis eyes filled with Stars: I can't stand him either, he's always picking on me.

Lyanna: Yeah that Ser Puddles thing was really mean.

Stannis: It was Ser Tinkles actually, but yeah it was mean and everyone heard and they are calling me Ser Tinkles.

Lyanna: Oh I don't think anyone heard.

Jaime Lannister: Hey look Ser Puddles is talking to a girl!

Stannis: It's Ser Tinkles!

Jaime: Whatever loser

Lyanna: Well never mind them. So where are all your friends?

Stannis: (In a voice bordering on tears) I don't have any. I thought I was going be friends with your brother Ned cause he is really cool and a second son like me, and I was really excited and then Robert happened. I did have a bird once, does that count?

Lyanna: Oh my.

Stannis: Your so pretty.

Lyanna: Well I think you have really pretty eyes, blue is my favorite color.

Stannis: Gurgle.

Lyanna: Stannis? Earth to Stannis?

Stannis: Who is it?

Lyanna; Say I have an idea

Stannis: What?

Lyanna: How about I introduce you to one of Neds good friends, he's really cool.

Stannis: I don't know, how cool is he? Does he have a great name like Ned? Ned is awesome the name just says "high I'm your pal forever." Does this guy like bugs, I like to collect bugs.

Lyanna: His name is Howland Reed, and he lives in a swamp and they have lots of bugs. I thought I could introduce you to him and he could introduce you to Ned and then you would have three friends.

Stannis: Howland Reed! Dat's an awesome name Lyanna... Wait you said three friends, Howland, Ned and, sniffle are you saying what I think your saying?

Lyanna: Yes I am friend.

Stannis: My star has finally begun to shine.

Lyanna: You know what else?

Stannis: What could be better than all this?

Lyanna: Howland has nunchucks.

Stannis: "Gulp!" Did yousay nunchucks?

Lyanna: Yep

Stannis Nunchucks are like the coolest things ever. I had nunchucks once but my parents took them away because I kept hitting myself in the head. Is he any good? Please say he is good.

Lyanna: He is so good he can double chuck.

Stannis: Meats and cheeses what are we waiting for? Lets go. Where off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of bogs, we hear he is a wiz of chucker, if ever a chucker there wa...

Rhaegar: Excuse me, Lyanna Stark?

(oh cruel fate)

Lyanna: Hm what? (OMG hello salty goodness, ok, ok, be cool Lyanna, be cool)

Rhaegar: Hi I'm Prince Rhaegar, I heard what you did to those squires and just wanted tell you how cool I thought that was

Lyanna: Thanks eye candy... umm I mean your grace. (holy shit, he's tall, he's beautiful, he's 90's emo, a rebel and a famous musician.)

Rhaegar: I was just wondering if your not to busy with Ser Puddles if you wanted to go hang out?

Stannis: It's actually Ser Tinkles, Ser Puddles is another guy, and yes she is busy, WEEEE! Are going to go watch Howland Reed perform with his double ch....

Lyanna: "Shove"

Stannis: "Splash" (they were by a lake folks)

Jaime: Hey look everyone Ser Puddles fell in the lake, dude just can't stay dry.

Robert: Har! Good one Lyanna

Lyanna: Fuck off Robert!

Robert: Har! She can't get enough of me.

Ned: Your not worried about her going off with Rhaegar?

Robert: Nah, I hear he's gay.

Ned: Oh? You sure about that? He is married with kids after all.

Robert: Ned you worry to much, he hangs out with Jon Con he has to be gay.

Lyanna: So what did you want to do?

Rhaegar: I don't know it's kind of late, I think Waffle House is open.

Lyanna: Oh... ok.

Rhaegar: You don't sound thrilled.

Lyanna: No Waffles are ok, I just prefer French toast.

Rhaegar: Me Too! Hey you ever wonder why there is no French Toast house?

Lyanna: I was just thinking that.

Rhaegar: I know there is IHop and Waffle House, you know there is even a Crape House. But no French toast house, and I am not sure what Denny's is for.

Lyanna: It's discrimination that's what it is, and Denny''s is for stoners and diarrhea.

Rhaegar: Ha, good one, your funny. Hey I meant to ask you do you know who the Knight of the laughing tree?

Lyanna: "Cough" Who what? Tree? No, no, never heard of her... him, never heard of him.

Rhaegar: Really he was all the news yesterday, my dad told me I had to ask everyone, so you know.

Lyanna: Yeah no totally cool, ummm never saw him. I was out picking flowers? Hey you going to joust or did you just come here to play your harp.

Rhaegar: Oh yeah I am in the lists.. Hey were you picking flowers for the Crown of love and beauty?

Lyanna: Flowers? What? Oh ummm no it's just nobody ever brings me flowers so I have to go pick them (hehehehehe clever girl)

Rhaegar: Really? Wow that's a crime, whats your favorite flo...

Lyanna: Blue winter Rose.

About an hour later.

Stannis: Well now that I have dried off I guess it is off to Denny's for another night alone.

Selyse: Hey Stannis, you going to Denny's again? I've always wanted to go to Denny's with someone.

Stannis walks off

Stannis: As if Selyse! "ha she thinks she has a shot at Stan the Man. Maybe I could letter come though, she does have that cool mustache and it would be nice not to eat alone."

Jaime: Were you just talking to yourself?

Stannis: Shit! No.

Jaime: I think you were, I think you called yourself Stan the Man.

Stannis: Noooooooo!

Jaime: Don't worry Tinkles, I think you have had enough for one day.

Stannis: Thanks Jaime, say you want to go to Denny's with me Selyse?

Jaime: Nah I'm just fucking around this is to good to pass up, Hey everyone! Ser Tinkles talks to himself and calls himself Stan the Man, and he's in love with Selyse the man stash Florent!

Robert: Get the fuck out of my way, Roberts not missing out on this one. Hey Jaime did you say Stan the man or Stan dates a man?

Stannis: I hate all of you and one day I will be King and you will all have to bend the knee. Come on Selyse.

This a 100% True accounting.

Stannis doesn't always steal other guys girlfriends, but when he does, its the Crown Princes, because Stannis is the most interesting man in the world. :)

And bad things are going to happen if you are an enemy of the Lannisters. Just ask the Starks...

Or you buy crossbow, which appears to work well on Lannisters, at this point they probably run at the mention of one.

As for Lyanna at Summerhall isn't it right by Storms end and sitting near the wrong pass. It's by the Boneway right? Plus its a known Rhaegar haunt, not great for hiding when your on the run. I always thought they went from maybe Harrenhal to Maidenpool which is the seat of was the seat of house Mooton, friends of the Prince. Then I thought they may have left for Essos like another couple that is mentioned in a recent book. Returning later. I think there is even a quote that News from Westeros can be 6 months behind in Essos. Maybe hit a couple of the Free cities, Lyanna does have that adventurous side that might appeal to her if the option is on the table. Maybe hit Myr, then Tyrosh then sneak back in through Dorne vie Starfall which sits on a river that runs right through the pass. Or they stayed in the Watch Tower for a year and a half.

Or you buy crossbow, which appears to work well on Lannisters, at this point they probably run at the mention of one.

As for Lyanna at Summerhall isn't it right by Storms end and sitting near the wrong pass. It's by the Boneway right? Plus its a known Rhaegar haunt, not great for hiding when your on the run. I always thought they went from maybe Harrenhal to Maidenpool which is the seat of was the seat of house Mooton, friends of the Prince. Then I thought they may have left for Essos like another couple that is mentioned in a recent book. Returning later. I think there is even a quote that News from Westeros can be 6 months behind in Essos. Maybe hit a couple of the Free cities, Lyanna does have that adventurous side that might appeal to her if the option is on the table. Maybe hit Myr, then Tyrosh then sneak back in through Dorne vie Starfall which sits on a river that runs right through the pass. Or they stayed in the Watch Tower for a year and a half.

You don't think Rhaegar would have wanted to take her there? Show her his special place? Even just for a few nights before moving on? He believed he was TPTWP for awhile because of Summerhall. And now, if he thinks Lyanna and he will make TPTWP, I can see him, being ever so romantic, taking her there.

Stannis doesn't always steal other guys girlfriends, but when he does, its the Crown Princes, because Stannis is the most interesting man in the world. :)

Well he did get Selyse. That's... something, it could be defined as interesting.

But back on topic...

If dry blood does not smell as you have so confusingly stated. The blood Ned smelled was not dry....Thank you for answering your own question.---In a very strange and round about fashion.

Your question was: "how do we know the blood was fresh"

---I cited that Ned smelled it.

You were kind enough to confirm that dried blood does not smell.

--Thank You.

Why must you continue to make stuff up out of thin air? I said dry blood smells almost like fresh blood.

Keep on showing everyone how you simply 'invent' what ever is needed to make your point *regardless of facts.

You don't think Rhaegar would have wanted to take her there? Show her his special place? Even just for a few nights before moving on? He believed he was TPTWP for awhile because of Summerhall. And now, if he thinks Lyanna and he will make TPTWP, I can see him, being ever so romantic, taking her there.

a 30 year old man 2 body guards with a 16 year old woman... showing her his special place for a few nights before moving on...

Have we forgotten that he already said that Aegon was the prince that was promised... in Dany's house of the undying vision?

Yes the special place... and tell Dayne and Whent to go pick some berries.... and when they get back they will all have a tea party.

Well the thing is I don't know where he was when he took her, so I went with the Harrenhal theory. Thing is they vanished, nobody had a clue, nobody had seen them. So I figured they got out quick which led me to Maidenpool. It's hard to make it too Summerhall from Harrenhal without getting seen and Rhaegar stands out, so does Dayne. They would have to stop for food and shelter, Maidenpool gets them out like that day or probably night. Plus Rhaegar was not expecting a war, I don't think he planned to come back to a civil war. Which meant plenty of time for Summerhall in the future. It would also help explain why they didn't do anything after the war started. They were not there and late arrival of news in Essos sure helps the idea.

Though if they never left they would had to sneak around KL and some other cities and come back towards Summerhall, then instead of hiding in the Boneway they went to the Princes pass which was farther away. Though both passes are used regularly so I can't imagine they stayed there for a year or more. But who knows.

a 30 year old man 2 body guards with a 16 year old woman... showing her his special place for a few nights before moving on...

Have we forgotten that he already said that Aegon was the prince that was promised... in Dany's house of the undying vision?

Yes the special place... and tell Dayne and Whent to go pick some berries.... and when they get back they will all have a tea party.

No we haven't forgotten. We think Rhaegar wised up and realized that Aegon can't be TPTWP. He's not the song of ice and fire, he can't be.

Well the thing is I don't know where he was when he took her, so I went with the Harrenhal theory. Thing is they vanished, nobody had a clue, nobody had seen them. So I figured they got out quick which led me to Maidenpool. It's hard to make it too Summerhall from Harrenhal without getting seen and Rhaegar stands out, so does Dayne. They would have to stop for food and shelter, Maidenpool gets them out like that day or probably night. Plus Rhaegar was not expecting a war, I don't think he planned to come back to a civil war. Which meant plenty of time for Summerhall in the future. It would also help explain why they didn't do anything after the war started. They were not there and late arrival of news in Essos sure helps the idea.

Though if they never left they would had to sneak around KL and some other cities and come back towards Summerhall, then instead of hiding in the Boneway they went to the Princes pass which was farther away. Though both passes are used regularly so I can't imagine they stayed there for a year or more. But who knows.

Interesting. I hadn't considered Essos.

Archived