Season 5 casting - v. 4 [Spoilers]

Arkash

Actually, I can understand Wall scenes being shot that soon since the CB set they use for exterior shooting (the quarry near Belfast) is damn CGI enhanced, so snow, autumn vibe and coldness are added digitally.

But the Winterfell exterior shots are done in existing castles and there is not as much cgi involved as in CB so that'd make sense these are shot in autumn.

Yeah, I'm clinging to any hope for Wyman Manderly and fArya castings.

The show is getting awfully spoilerish. After the "Night's King" episode this last season, I went back and watched a lot of episodes. There are little things here and there that really feel like hidden book spoilers. Is there a thread dedicated to this?

I never thought they could cut Quentyn AND Arianne. I like Quentyn, but thought that he could be cut in case he is not significantly important in the story, but Arianne? No way. In the video, GRRM chooses the example "How many children do Scarlett O'Hara have?" Three in the book and one the movie. Could that be a straight analogy to Doran's children?

In all the hubbub over the other "non-castings" (Arianne, Greyjoys, Aegon, etc.), I completely forgot: Penny hasn't been cast, either! Does this mean no Penny? Elio said something to the effect that there wouldn't be any more major casting news coming down the pipe, and I don't consider Penny a minor character in the books; she's at least as prominent in Tyrion's arc as the Sand Snakes are in Arianne's. If she's not in Season 5, there's no way she's getting introduced later. Huh.

There are little things here and there that really feel like hidden book spoilers. Is there a thread dedicated to this?

Yup, in the General GOT boards, right here. Annara Snow just posted an excellent summary of potential Season 4 book spoilers, so definitely worth checking out.

I never thought they could cut Quentyn AND Arianne. I like Quentyn, but thought that he could be cut in case he is not significantly important in the story, but Arianne? No way. In the video, GRRM chooses the example "How many children do Scarlett O'Hara have?" Three in the book and one the movie. Could that be a straight analogy to Doran's children?

It just dawned on me that the entire Martell arc will be changed for the show. I think it will be based much more on Obyern, which means Quentyn's quest and Arianne's search of Aegon are gone. Also probably no need for Aegon, JonCon and VIc, if this is the case.

This troubles me, because now I feel like all that reading was for a pointless sub-plot. These characters' arcs must not be vital to the central story, otherwise there is no way they'd get cut.

In all the hubbub over the other "non-castings" (Arianne, Greyjoys, Aegon, etc.), I completely forgot: Penny hasn't been cast, either! Does this mean no Penny? Elio said something to the effect that there wouldn't be any more major casting news coming down the pipe, and I don't consider Penny a minor character in the books; she's at least as prominent in Tyrion's arc as the Sand Snakes are in Arianne's. If she's not in Season 5, there's no way she's getting introduced later. Huh.

Yup, in the General GOT boards, right here. Annara Snow just posted an excellent summary of potential Season 4 book spoilers, so definitely worth checking out.

Ty!

Penny hasn't been cast, either!

Funny how no one cares (me the first tbh). I understand her purpose to Tyrion's psyche but damn, her character and Brienne's journeys in Feast were the only two things in Asoiaf that bored me to tears so I'm glad the show does away with her.

Val... now that's another matter !

:drool:

:wub:

:leaving:

Because things don't always go as planned. They obviously intended for the Tysha thing to surface again, but somewhere along the line it just got pushed to the side. With some smart writing I think they could have made it work though.

Eh whatever, in the end it doesn't change Tyrion's story as much as some people think it does. He's still headed in the same direction.

Funny how no one cares (me the first tbh). I understand her purpose to Tyrion's psyche but damn, her character and Brienne's journeys in Feast were the only two things in Asoiaf that bored me to tears so I'm glad the show does away with her.

I feel bad that there was this outrage over Arianne's omission from the casting list and no fucks were given as to Penny's. I'm as bad as anyone, though, because I've been reading pages and pages of commentary over the past day or so discussing the casting news and the omissions, and Penny didn't occur to me until, like, half an hour ago.

Lol, the comment above her post was more interesting (no offense meant). It struck me like a ton of bricks. The purpose of the White Book is to reveal R+L=J to greater Westeros. HR reveals to the readers, and Jamie, through the WB, will reveal to the world.

In all the hubbub over the other "non-castings" (Arianne, Greyjoys, Aegon, etc.), I completely forgot: Penny hasn't been cast, either! Does this mean no Penny?

I feel bad that there was this outrage over Arianne's omission from the casting list and no fucks were given as to Penny's. I'm as bad as anyone, though, because I've been reading pages and pages of commentary over the past day or so discussing the casting news and the omissions, and Penny didn't occur to me until, like, half an hour ago.

I admit to being relieved that Penny seems to be out. Let's face it, watching 2 dwarfs run around Essos never had a high chance of coming to fruition. Not having her at the wedding was the big tell tale sign.

Well, Tyrion is devastated after "The Children" but not as much as in the books so omitting Penny, who in the end, only serves to give back Tyrion's will to survive and thrive by having someone to look after can be worked around easily.

I think it will work fine without Arianne but of course it's a bit letdown they are cutting a POV. The Sand snakes will probably be good on TV and whatever their plans for Dorne/ Aegon/ Varys is im sure it will still be a good show to watch , it's already one of the best shows on TV and cutting Arianne , Manderly and all those will not make the show a shit show. And about Aegon it's still chanches for him to be in and I belive we will se at least on of the Greyjoys uncles , Tyrion mentioned that Theons uncle attacked Lannisport once and thats something that can prove that we probably will see some uncles.

I would venture that nothing stated in show canon way back in the first series can be indicative of anything. Not that I believe the uncles are a lost cause, but they are not gonna be in because of one piece of dialogue from 4 years ago.

I'm still convinced that Manderly will be in it, just because they'll have to re-introduce Rickon at some point. Also he'll probably only need to be in one episode (unless they send him to Winterfell as well) so I'm confident he'll still be cast this season.

I disagree that the Daario recasting was a disaster. The previous actor was terrible. He may have looked more the part to some people, but he Couldn't act! Since Daario's role is clearly expanding, particularly in season 5 (possibly even taking Quentyn's role and freeing the dragons) they actually very much needed an actor, not a model with a single facial expression.

Thank you, glad to know that I'm not the only one who hated the first guy. I don't care what he looked like, he was just awful.

I guess I'm the only one here not in panic mode over who they didn't show. Personally, I don't care who they cut or how it is portrayed, I just want the show to be entertaining. The fact that they cast such great actors and actresses is simply awesome.

I'm still convinced that Manderly will be in it, just because they'll have to re-introduce Rickon at some point. Also he'll probably only need to be in one episode (unless they send him to Winterfell as well) so I'm confident he'll still be cast this season.

Yes, they will have to re-introduce Rickon but any Northman can do the deed and if it is indeed only one episode, I don't see it happening. I think he's either in for a few episodes and perhaps bakes a few Frey pies or he's not in at all.

I haven't read everything in this thread so it might have been mentioned before but could it be that in Trystane will actually be (F)Aegon?

As in "Varys saved the baby then delivered it to uncle Doran who presented him as his own child" or "Varys presented the Blackfyre baby as Aegon to Doran who presented him as his own child"or something (maybe real Trystane died at birth and they took the opportunity to present FAegon as Trystane).

Varys in the show goes to Pentos. He can send a mercenary army (Golden company or equivalent) to Dorne and the show (F)Aegon will be at more or less the same spot as in the books. Arianne is cut because her purpose in the books (as far as we can tell from what we know) is to solidify an alliance between (F)Aegon and Dorne, something unnecessary in the above scenario. Quentyn doesn't serve any major plot-changing purpose anyway, aside perhaps from turning Dany and Dorne against each other but that would still be the case if Trystane is (F)Aegon since Doran will support the adopted son (and nephew) he raised.

Alright, recap after the first 25 pages:

Apparently they're shooting the Northern stuff later in the year, so there will probably be more casting announcements.

This is what I am hoping for. At least give us Manderly, fArya and one of the Greyjoy brothers (Euron-Victarion merger if necessary). That's all I ask.

I think they are essentially merging all of Doran's children into one child, kinda of like how they merged all of the Tyrell brothers into Loras. And they need that child to be a boy because otherwise Myrcella sent to Dorne doesn't make sense.

Agreed. Trystane is Loras 2.0. Merge all the siblings into one. And I agree with Faint that this is most likely what's going to happen:

If you remove the Aegon element to the Dornish plotline, you could conceivably amalgamate Trystane, Arianne, and Quentyn into the television version of Trystane.

So, not only is Trystane betrothed to Myrcella like in the books, he also tries to crown her (like Arianne), only to fail and be told by his father that his plan is to have him marry Daenerys (like Quentyn). All of this would be done on an accelerated timeline.

My guess is that the Myrcella plot fails within the first couple of episodes and Trystane is cooked by dragon by the end of the season.

Agreed. I can totally see this happening and if the Aegon plot doesn't go anywhere in the books, then this would certainly be a good chance to cut and merge.

Archived