I won't keep my hopes high

I won't keep my hopes high...

But I hope that ship is related to the Griffins. Please, please, please... in name of the old gods and the new ones. =(

Don't let this excite you. If the Griffs will be cast we'll figure it out at some point- whether by leak or by an official announcement. This specific announcement can fit a number of things that AREN'T the Griffs.

I hope we'll hear something about them soon

But I hope that ship is related to the Griffins. Please, please, please... in name of the old gods and the new ones. =(

I'm there with you now, JonCon! I want them now. The more I think about it this ship really sounds like it could be them.

I think the announcement from Watchers on the Wall could be giving us more than just one possibility for Young Griff: the aforementioned "ship's captain...carrying an important passenger," and the following, "Three more characters give hints as to what Daenerys Targaryen and the denizens of Meereen will be encountering in season five. The show is casting for a young man to play a captured vigilante, referred to as a “Son.” It looks like the Sons of the Harpy storyline will be heating up next year."

There seems to be a lot of speculation around here, so while this may be a bit "out there," I thought I'd suggest it, anyway. We do not know why the writer places "Son" in Merreen. Perhaps it was specified by the sources. Even if it was, is there not a possibility this is meant to obscure that "Son" refers to the son of Rhaegar? Given what they did with Ramsay, it just seems like it could be a possibility, even if not a strong one. Most people seem to think that if Young Griff is going to be seen, it will be kept as under wraps as possible, and I agree.

Of course, it could be exactly what they surmise, that the character will be a Son of the Harpy, but maybe, just possibly, not.

Yes, some of this is wishful thinking, as I am one who really, really, really hopes the Griff/Young Griff story is something we'll see.

Breath deep. I think IF the Griffs ever make it onto the show that it would not be revealed beforehand. The Greyjoy brothers, on the other hand, are gone :crying:

It can't be Thorne, because it would be too predictable and it would look like it's all because of his personal dislike of Jon.

Othell Yarwyck has no spine. He disagreed with Thorne about sealing the tunnels against an existential threat to the Night's Watch and didn't have the guts to disagree with Thorne publicly. This man is weighing "speaking up against Thorne in a meeting when my opinion is asked" vs. "we're all going to die horrible deaths" and he decides that speaking up is the scarier course of action. He also agreed with Sam that there was something wrong about the dead bodies in season 1 and didn't protest Mormont's bad command to leave them be.

Yarwyck will definitely disagree with things that Jon does, but the only characterization that character has been given so far is that he has no spine. It makes no sense that he'd be the lead stabber.

Thorne hates Jon, yes. But Thorne has consistently been portrayed to be dedicated to fulfilling the mission of the Night's Watch. Back in season 1, he was given a chance to explain why he is so harsh with the recruits (my trainees need to be tough and competent or we're all going to die) and in season 4 he was given a chance to explain his decisions as leader. I think he'll go through an entirely believable arc of trying to serve under Jon to believing that Jon is an existential threat. Maybe Yarquck or Olly or both end up agreeing with Thorne, but Thorne is definitely the lead stabber.

Anyway, the thing about predictability is moot. Walder Frey's introduction to the show was that he couldn't be trusted, that Robb hated the idea of marrying any of his daughters, and that Robb had to do it anyway or face dire consequences. We saw Robb starting to lose the respect of his men in season 2. It was very predictable that Robb was toast. The Unsullied I was watching with saw that in early season 3. If everything had been going great before the Red Wedding, if we hadn't seen the growing dissent among Robb's men, if Walder Frey hadn't been portrayed as nasty as he was, Robb's death would have been more shocking but also it would feel entirely false. The shock of the Red Wedding wasn't Robb's death, it was the brutality and totality of Robb/Talisa/Catellyn/Robb's men's deaths.

There has to be buildup to Jon's stabbing and it has to come from somebody who honestly believes that he's doing the right thing. Thorne is the guy who provides that. Spineless Yarwyck, traumatized Olly - that isn't their move.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense for the money guy to be Arya's first official kill. Since the Iron Bank has already been introduced as a player in Westerosi politics, Arya's mission should even have a bit of a connection to events in Westeros and the Iron Bank deciding to throw their full weight behind Stannis. It is good to have connections.

Interesting about Brienne and the old woman. I haven't seen anything so far about Gendry and Sansa - do we have any new information about their stories?

I agree with this. They'll try to keep it hidden as much as possible.

I suppose but they could very well destroy the possibility within the first couple of episodes of the fifth season depending on how Varys and Illyrio act. And if that does not do it, confirmation that they are sticking to a seven season plan next spring would effectively do the same thing.

I suppose but they could very well destroy the possibility within the first couple of episodes of the fifth season depending on how Varys and Illyrio act. And if that does not do it, confirmation that they are sticking to a seven season plan next spring would effectively do the same thing.

Yeah. When I say hide it as much as possible I don't mean in the season. I mean from announcements. If they show up, I expect them to show up in the first 3 episodes or not at all.

I think the announcement from Watchers on the Wall could be giving us more than just one possibility for Young Griff: the aforementioned "ship's captain...carrying an important passenger,"

Ours is the Fury made it seem as though the important passenger is probably Tyrion or possibly Jaime. But I'm still hoping the captain is JonCon and Aegon just hasn't been mentioned yet. We'll see.

Yeah. When I say hide it as much as possible I don't mean in the season. I mean from announcements. If they show up, I expect them to show up in the first 3 episodes or not at all.

I agree. Tyrion will arrive in Pentos in the first episode. Either Aegon is already there with Illyrio, or Tyrion will meet up with him episode 2. In any case we will know in episode 1 from the nature of discussions in Pentos if Tyrion is meeting Aegon or there is some other plan.

I strongly suspect ther will be no casting leak at any point related to Aegon to keep us guessing.

Othell Yarwyck has no spine. He disagreed with Thorne about sealing the tunnels against an existential threat to the Night's Watch and didn't have the guts to disagree with Thorne publicly. This man is weighing "speaking up against Thorne in a meeting when my opinion is asked" vs. "we're all going to die horrible deaths" and he decides that speaking up is the scarier course of action. He also agreed with Sam that there was something wrong about the dead bodies in season 1 and didn't protest Mormont's bad command to leave them be.

Yarwyck will definitely disagree with things that Jon does, but the only characterization that character has been given so far is that he has no spine. It makes no sense that he'd be the lead stabber.

Thorne hates Jon, yes. But Thorne has consistently been portrayed to be dedicated to fulfilling the mission of the Night's Watch. Back in season 1, he was given a chance to explain why he is so harsh with the recruits (my trainees need to be tough and competent or we're all going to die) and in season 4 he was given a chance to explain his decisions as leader. I think he'll go through an entirely believable arc of trying to serve under Jon to believing that Jon is an existential threat. Maybe Yarquck or Olly or both end up agreeing with Thorne, but Thorne is definitely the lead stabber.

Anyway, the thing about predictability is moot. Walder Frey's introduction to the show was that he couldn't be trusted, that Robb hated the idea of marrying any of his daughters, and that Robb had to do it anyway or face dire consequences. We saw Robb starting to lose the respect of his men in season 2. It was very predictable that Robb was toast. The Unsullied I was watching with saw that in early season 3. If everything had been going great before the Red Wedding, if we hadn't seen the growing dissent among Robb's men, if Walder Frey hadn't been portrayed as nasty as he was, Robb's death would have been more shocking but also it would feel entirely false. The shock of the Red Wedding wasn't Robb's death, it was the brutality and totality of Robb/Talisa/Catellyn/Robb's men's deaths.

There has to be buildup to Jon's stabbing and it has to come from somebody who honestly believes that he's doing the right thing. Thorne is the guy who provides that. Spineless Yarwyck, traumatized Olly - that isn't their move.

This.

I think she still has Riverlands story left. First episode she will be chasing Arya, who left from Saltpans. We even saw them shoveling salt at the docks. Why do that if they aren't going to include the massacre at Saltpans in season 5?

So I think at the very least we will have an episode with her discovering the massacre and thinking Arya is dead. Then she will resume trying to find Sansa, which will take her past hanging Freys maybe, and otherwise people talking about the BWB and angry with the Freys. I am sure she will still end up with the BWB, they just might not have LS as their leader. Brienne's next moves will be with the BWB.

Is the Saltpants massacre even going to happen in the show? The men who committed it are dead in the show, killed in season 4. And there's no Hound's helm for anyone to wear and impersonate him.

The elderly serving woman who helps Brienne is Masha Heddle IMO. In show canon she was never killed by Tywin's troops, since Hot Pie mentioned a female inkeep in episode 303. She could help Brienne at the risk that the Freys could find out. Which could mean we'll get the BWB...and hopefully their lovely new leader.

The elderly serving woman who helps Brienne is Masha Heddle IMO. In show canon she was never killed by Tywin's troops, since Hot Pie mentioned a female inkeep in episode 303. She could help Brienne at the risk that the Freys could find out. Which could mean we'll get the BWB...and hopefully their lovely new leader.

Yeah, I had a feeling that Brienne would have to face the BwB. As to who their leader is, we'll have to wait and see. It could go either way.

Is the Saltpants massacre even going to happen in the show? The men who committed it are dead in the show, killed in season 4. And there's no Hound's helm for anyone to wear and impersonate him.

I don't think it matters who did it. The purpose of the massacre in the show would be to show how much the Riverlands have spiraled out of control since the Red Wedding under the Freys, and to set up the rise of the Sparrow movement. For Brienne it is the reason she thinks Arya is dead. So who carried out the massacre is irrelevant. It was done by Broken Men and blamed on the BWB.

If they had not gone out of their way to show Arya leaving from Saltpans I might have thought it would not be included. But the scene at the docks was just too specific. It was Saltpans. That implies we will get Brienne arriving in the aftermath of the massacre as in the books.

This makes a lot of sense...well a lot more than randomly changing Nimble Dick to a lady.

Archived