Season 5 casting - v. 4 [Spoilers]

Arkash

- Brienne will encounter an elderly serving woman who becomes her ally in dangerous territory. The character will appear in a few episodes,

though the role is small - *lol* The last time they were referring to an "elderly gentleman", it turned out to be a White Walker. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be LS. They do have a weird sense of humor.

This isn't an episode description, though. If it was LS, they would not be casting her... she is already cast. :)

If the writer places "Son" in Meereen, it's presumably because the casting announcement says that; as well as him being called a "captured vigilante".

If they were trying to hide the casting of the "son of Rhaegar", they wouldn't give him a character name that you could easily make that linkage with. In any event, they would just call him Young Griff; the people who know what that means are spoiled already.

I'm sure you're right it said as much in the casting announcement, but since a source was not stated, it allowed the wheels in my mind, coupled with my hopes, to start spinning. You're likely also right about calling him "Son" too obvious, with the possible exception show-only folks would have no reason to connect "son" with Rhaegar. As far as they're concerned, his brains were dashed out as an infant, and they have no reason to think that's not the case. Again, probably just wishful thinking on my part, and Sons of the Harpy certainly makes sense.

I expect Manderly at some point, if only because Rickon needs to be brought back and Davos needs something to do.

We'll need at least one Greyjoy brother, because assuming Balon dies then the Iron Islands will need a leader, but they could potentially be delayed until next season.

I've seen several people mention Rickon needs to be brought back, but this season? I know D&D may well be going into unpubished material, but as far as what's been published, readers haven't seen Rickon since he took off with Osha.

I, like others, think Balon has to die. There were 3 leeches.

All of these feel too high.

The characters with the most material in AFFC/ADWD (Cersei, Tyrion, Jaime, to a lesser extent Jon) I would be surprised not to see in 9 or so episodes. Look at how much screentime Cersei has gotten even when she didn't have her own POV chapters.

The characters with the most material in AFFC/ADWD (Cersei, Tyrion, Jaime, to a lesser extent Jon) I would be surprised not to see in 9 or so episodes. Look at how much screentime Cersei has gotten even when she didn't have her own POV chapters.

To a lesser extent? Jon has more chapters than anyone else in both ADWD and AFFC, and the show still hasn't covered his last chapter from ASOS and the LC election.

To a lesser extent? Jon has more chapters than anyone else in both ADWD and AFFC, and the show still hasn't covered his last chapter from ASOS and the LC election.

I meant that I don't think the show is as interested in Jon as in any of the Lannisters, though that wasn't phrased properly.

How I think the characters will show up:

Tyrion - 8

Jaime- 5

Cersei- 5/6

Daenerys- 8/9

Jon- 8/9

Arya- 7

Sansa - 5/6

Bran- 5

Brienne- 3/4

Jorah- 5/6

Theon- 6

Stannis- 5/6

Davos - 5

I think we'll spend much, much less time at KL this season, spend a fair amount of time to introduce Dorne, spend much more time at the Wall what with the large amount of storyline there. Definitely some stuff from The North Remembers storyline with Theon. I think we'll spend a lot of time with Tyrion simply because he's Tyrion, and a large amount of time with Dany because she's Dany.

All atrocities in the Riverlands? Certainly not. But the Saltpants massacre was not like "all atrocities in the Riverlands", it was something so horrible and depraved that everyone was shocked even after everything that had happened in the Riverlands during the war.

If GRRM had been trying to say that anyone could commit such atrocities once the social structures fall down, please tell me why did he make Rorge and Biter the perpetrators, two people who were considered the worst of the worst and most dangerous criminals even before the war even started (so dangerous much that they were in black cells and later put in a cage), with Rorge threatening to do to Arya exactly what he ended up doing to the 12-year old girl in Saltpants?

ASOAIF is certainly not that. But you know what else ASOAIF is certainly not? The other extreme, a story of complete moral relativism where nobody can be considered responsible for any crime because, oh well, everyone can do it under certain circumstances, nobody is a better person than anyone else, and there is no difference whatsoever between Ramsey Bolton/Gregor Clegane/Rorge and everyone else, so why even bother thinking about what's right and what's wrong or pay any attention to individual responsibility for what one does.

You are jumping to extremes. I'm not sure why it offends your sensibilities that the show might include a Saltpans massacre aftermath. Brienne standing in a ruined Saltpans is a good start to her season 5 arc.

Do you think Brienne killing Rorge was actually justice for the Saltpans? Brienne didn't kill Rorge for that reason. Rorge didn't suffer proportionally to his crimes. Rorge's death prevented future crimes, but it did nothing to help any of the people he had hurt. Westeros is a better place without Rorge, but I don't see justice in his death.

I think Aegon will still make the cut.

They started mentioning about the Golden Company several times on the show and made Jorah a member of it explicitly. In all likelihood this will be why he is in Volantis, trying to persuade them to go help Dany to get back in her good books (whitewashing...). Anyway, the GC is central to the Aegon plot. Its HIS army and serves no other function in the plot. If they are putting his army in then it makes perfect sense that both JC and Aegon will be introduced eventually; if not perhaps this season.

Also has there been any mention of Penny? Has she been cut?

IF Aegon and Penny aren't in then there really isn't anything for Tyrion to do. Him and Jorah do not interact that much at all. Really Tyrion only acts as a narrator for all the bad things that happen to Jorah and his misery; a very small part of Tyrions arc.

I think it'll be something like this:

E1: Ellaria arrives at Dorne, tries convincing Doran to go to war with the Lannisters but he says no.

I really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY hope this isn't happening. Ellaria's speech about how vengeance is irrelevant is one of the best parts of Dance and shows she's probably the sanest character of the whole cast. Gosh, she even could have sound like she felt sorry for Joffrey.

I really really really really really really really really really really really REALLY hope this isn't happening. Ellaria's speech about how vengeance is irrelevant is one of the best parts of Dance and shows she's probably the sanest character of the whole cast. Gosh, she even could have sound like she felt sorry for Joffrey.

I feel the same way, but the Obara casting transcript doesn't bode well for Ellaria's characterization.

There is always someone somewhere who says x or y or z in their favorite thing. There were people who bitched and moaned that Willas (Willas!) was removed. He who never did anything onscreen or was of any significance other than being the first born. No matter what is cut, it will be someone's favorite dog.

There is always someone somewhere who says x or y or z in their favorite thing. There were people who bitched and moaned that Willas (Willas!) was removed. He who never did anything onscreen or was of any significance other than being the first born. No matter what is cut, it will be someone's favorite dog.

The "Willas-effect" wasn't even close to what's going on now. I remember a few people bitching back then, but now we have much more - and that's because Arianne, Victarion, Euron, fAegon, Quentyn, Stoneheart are actual major characters that do contribute to the plot somehow, and most of us expected to see them on screen. I agree that Willas wasn't necessary (we haven't even seen him on the books, people!), but he cannot be compared to the others I mentioned.

Archived