GRRM drops everything to write TWOW

TheOldWolf

I interpreted it that way too. Anne Groell's comments a few weeks ago was confusing, she said "he had only turned in 200"(or close to that) but in the same interview says she expects the book "reasonably soon."

He turned in 200 to get the payment from the publisher. He has more done, like Tyrion II for instance.

To make it short: I feel not sorry at all for GRRM that some random TV show will finish his legacy work. He had it coming. No Captain Hindsight here...so many knew it.

I guess I will give him until 2020 and if there is still no ADOS, well then I have to watch the ending on TV...

How is it "some random TV show"?

The TV show is an official adaptation of his works, and is widely regarded as one of the best ever made. It's also responsible for introducing the books to the majority of the people who read them. Calling it "some random TV show" is pretty rude.

Haha! How young you all are.

Please do read GRRM’s blog post from 2007: http://grrm.livejournal.com/16723.html

In this post, he announces that he will not go to World Con for the first time ever (nor Japan), in order to buckle down and work on Dance With Dragons.

DWD was published in 2011.

Oh boy, what a depressing read. Particularly this line:

"A year ago, it would never have dawned on me that DANCE would not be done by the time the Japanese worldcon rolled around, but that's looking like a very real possibility now." GRRM, June 2007

Dance was published 5 years after the announcement. Not to mention that the book feels unfinished, hastily put together and sloppily edited.

How is it "some random TV show"?

The TV show is an official adaptation of his works, and is widely regarded as one of the best ever made. It's also responsible for introducing the books to the majority of the people who read them. Calling it "some random TV show" is pretty rude.

Sorry but what?

Has this anything to do with the topic here? I think not. My Apologies if I hurt your feelings.

Oh boy, what a depressing read. Particularly this line:

"A year ago, it would never have dawned on me that DANCE would not be done by the time the Japanese worldcon rolled around, but that's looking like a very real possibility now." GRRM, June 2007

Dance was published 5 years after the announcement. Not to mention that the book feels unfinished, hastily put together and sloppily edited.

Couldn't agree with you more. I mean there's quite a lot of meet in A Dance with Dragons that could have been trimmed. Quite a few of Dany's chapters could have been either removed entirely or combined.

I am actually interested to see what happens if he can get the next book out by the end of next season and it is announced for certain that show will conclude after the seventh season. Would he actually make an honest attempt to complete A Dream of Spring in eighteen months? Accounting for editing time, he would probably have to write at a pace of something like a hundred manuscript pages a month. I wonder how plausible that is.

I am very hopeful that he can get WOW out by spring 2016 (and therefore avoid spoiling most of it on the show)

I think after that though we have to face the fact that it will almost certainly take 2 more books, and ten years? to finish the story. Rather than spend his time fruitlessly trying to stay ahead of the show I would be happy if he became as much involved with the production as possible in order that the end of the show (which may be our only chance to see the end of ASOIAF) is realised as well as possible.

Hello everyone, what a heated thread. This date, that date. Love the speculation. Well ok, so something more tangible. I know from a good source that the book will not come out until well after the next season ends. So is end 2015, beguining 2016 at the earliest. I was not given an exact date, so don't ask me. Just this estimate.

The truth? nobody knows for certain. I just hope it is finished before the next NFL season beguins, otherwise we'll have to wait till football ends.

And yes, I think he lost the drive for this work and is now awaiting afflatus. I have seen it too many times, specially on graphic artists. They lose inspiration and the work remains unfinished.

I suspect that the 6th book will be published in the 1st Qtr of 2015 before the season starts and HBO can buy him 6 additional months by moving GOT to the Boardwalk Empire time slot that will be vacated after their final season. This will Give him 2 1/2 years to finish the final book.

At this point in time, I'd prefer if Martin would field a team; to help finish the remaining two or three books. I've been reading the series since late 2000, after taking the advice of a loved one. Despite the pretty picture some are trying to paint; 5+ years between books, is the new normal.

I really hope we are being "trolled" by Martin and his team and they are getting a great laugh at our expense. Hell, if it's true and that turns out to be the case; I'll laugh my ass off along with me. Sadly, I doubt this is the case and mid 2016 looks to be the earliest that we may see Winds.

Here's to hoping HBO can give us a satisfying ending to the series in 2017. I will not stop watching it and telling myself "I can stop watching the final two seasons and wait till after the books come out" lie. As I do not wish to see who lives, who dies, who hits bottom and who thrives; on someone's FB page, news website, Twitter or through "water cooler" talk.

At this point in time, I'd prefer if Martin would field a team; to help finish the remaining two or three books. I've been reading the series since late 2000, after taking the advice of a loved one. Despite the pretty picture some are trying to paint; 5+ years between books, is the new normal.

I really hope we are being "trolled" by Martin and his team and they are getting a great laugh at our expense. Hell, if it's true and that turns out to be the case; I'll laugh my ass off along with me. Sadly, I doubt this is the case and mid 2016 looks to be the earliest that we may see Winds.

Here's to hoping HBO can give us a satisfying ending to the series in 2017. I will not stop watching it and telling myself "I can stop watching the final two seasons and wait till after the books come out" lie. As I do not wish to see who lives, who dies, who hits bottom and who thrives; on someone's FB page, news website, Twitter or through "water cooler" talk.

It doesn't strike me as an elaborate trolling of his book fans. He has a now very long and well documented history of being over optimistic about how things are going with the writing.

I don't have the patience that some do to try and reconstruct his schedule for the last three years to figure out what percentage of time he's been at home v. traveling, and don't think the page count guesses are really helpful unless they can be paired with a fairly exact estimate of when he has been in Santa Fe.

The weight of the evidence suggests he's far behind and that 2015 is a long shot. His clearing of his schedule could be a last ditch attempt to get it all done in time for a 2015 release date, but we know he has done this before and failed.

There is now much more pressure to get the book out ASAP than there was with Dance, so I'm sorry to say I expect there may be a similar slapdash race toward the end as there was the last book, which as others have said, let to some sloppy editing and doesn't really reflect too well on anyone.

I agree. I think he really needs help and a regular, honest and unbiased feedback on his work. The series reached a level of complexity where it is impossible for one person to finish it on his own anytime soon. He might be too proud to admit that but either the story will be finished with someone else or by someone else.

Archived