Guardians of the Galaxy thread 2 ... Great movie, or best blockbuster of the decade?

Howdyphillip

I wonder when Adam Worlock is going to be introduced? If ever. He was pretty important to the gems/infinity stones in the comics if I remember right. he also was a Guardian of the galaxy? But I really don't remember very well.

he was part of the new guardians (i.e., in the movie), but was there only for the founding, during/after the annihilus thing.

his cocoon is open in the credits scene, so he's already loose. expect him to kidnap sif in the next thor film and get crucified to save the earth in the avengers, and then get zipped into the soul gem in some other movie with gamora. that chronology's all dicked up, but whatever.

Nah, J-Son is Peter's father imo. The next GotG should answer that question though. Maybe it's Rocket. :laugh:

I just kind of want more now though. This got me back into Marvel movies again. I was starting to lose my interest quickly.

It was a great movie; only thing that bothered me was Zoe Saldana's voice is too cute to sound menacing as Gamora as I was expecting.

It didn't bother me persay, but Saldana is so adorably gorgeous that I was never able to really see her as a deadly assassin.

She should have tried to channel a little more Columbiana instead of Neytiri, but overall she was fine, and her last scene where you can see her kind of start to dance to Peter's music was endearing enough for me to just not care that she's supposed to be pretty ruthless.

What characters do you guys want and/or expect to see in GotG 2? Should they add anyone else to the team or keep it as is and just have the other characters be allies/associates?

Nova

Everyone's obvious #1. I think Richard Rider could really work as a reluctant ally who isn't cool with the Guardians' more illegal activities, but genuinely likes them and recognizes that there are much bigger threats in the universe than these lovable rogues.

Adam Warlock

2nd-most obvious choice to actually join the team or to at least come in contact with and assist the GotG. Also in possession of an Infinity Stone.

Angela

Originally a Todd McFarlane/Spawn character, a 10-year legal battle between McFarlane and Neil Gaiman recently awarded the character to Gaiman, who immediately brought her into the Marvel universe during the Age of Ultron story, and continued into the Guardians of the Galaxy comic. After damage was done to the "multivariate", Angela was pulled out of her place in Heaven and into the currently known Marvel universe. In her rage, she set her sights on Earth as a destination to enact her vengeance, but was intercepted by the Guardians and subsequently calmed. In the current Original Sin story arc, Angela is revealed to be the daughter of Odin, and long-lost sister to Thor and Loki.

Iron Man

Tony Stark recently joined the Guardians using his armor designed for deep-space travel. Unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see RDJ and Pratt play off of each other's comedic timing.

Moondragon

Emotionally unstable, openly-bisexual, low-level telekinetic martial artist who once mentally enslaved Thor into being her lover. Enough said.

he was part of the new guardians (i.e., in the movie), but was there only for the founding, during/after the annihilus thing.

Peter's Guardians were only formed after Annihilus' attack and another devastaging interstellar war shortly after. Warlock pretty much stuck around throughout all their run until it ended with Thanos Imperative, as that dealt with the reason he joined up in the first place.

Of course the dynamic was completely different there, as the Guardians tried to (partially) fill a void caused by the destruction wrought by the Annihilation Wave to begin with.

Moondragon

Emotionally unstable, openly-bisexual, low-level telekinetic martial artist who once mentally enslaved Thor into being her lover. Enough said.

Also Drax' daughter in the comics, that kinda helps with the connection to the team.

What characters do you guys want and/or expect to see in GotG 2? Should they add anyone else to the team or keep it as is and just have the other characters be allies/associates?

There's a few others who were part of the team during their first tenure:

Bug

Insectoid alien martial artist and wannabe ladies' man.

Phyla-Vell

Mar-Vell's posthumus daughter and Moondragon's girlfriend. Has in the past gone by Captain Marvel and Quasar, probably wouldn't work if her father isn't some kind of presence in the MCU beforehand.

Jack Flag

Generic human superhero who got stuck with the Guardians and their cosmic problems by accident. Probably the least interesting choice.

Major Victory

Time displaced member of the original Guardians of the Galaxy from an alternate future (Star Lord's team took their name because Rocket thought it was cool). Has telekinetic powers and is armed with Captain America's shield. Has a "present day" counterpart, Vance Astrovik, who goes by the moniker of Justice and is a member of the New Warriors superhero team.

Mantis

Telepath and precog who was apparently once married to a tree (hey, maybe Groot has a shot?). Has a tendency to refer to things that haven't happened yet.

Ronan doesen't want power, at least not ultimately. He wnats revenge, presumably for what he sees as a disgraceful end to the war. Not the deepest of motivations, but it's there.

I'd have loved to actually see that being developed. At least there's something to work with there, something to build scenes on. But by the time he tells Thanos "I am now more powerful than you, so you're next on my shit list" (paraphrased), he goes straight to the overstuffed 'forgettable MCU villains' bin.

Pretty every marvel movie has shown a compelling villain isn't necessary for a fun show.

This was never the issue that was being discussed. No one is contending that.

I'd have loved to actually see that being developed. At least there's something to work with there, something to build scenes on. But by the time he tells Thanos "I am now more powerful than you, so you're next on my shit list" (paraphrased), he goes straight to the overstuffed 'forgettable MCU villains' bin.

Honestly, the scensa re there, is it that developed? No. But it's pretty clear what his motivations are: Pride and vengeance as a kree. He turns on Thanois essentially because Thanos treats him like a lackey and he can't abide that.

denstorebog - I'm just saying that you don't need to defend Ronan as being awesome. He's not. He's meh. He's there to give the awesome protagonists some struggle and something to punch. The villains in the marvel universe never exist to be particularly interesting, sympathetic or otherwise awesome; they exist to get punched after first causing some major pain.

In that respect Darth Vader was a perfectly fine villain in Star Wars. He wasn't anything special though.

Archived