AcroPHILIA: (acrophobia's strange and incestuous twin) WINNER - Howlin' Howland

Dolorous Gabe

Maybe we should just stick to the rule set outlined at the start, plough through and see what happens. I won't interfere with the clues and you can do whatever you want with it.

I'll admit it was tricky to come up with a theme linking the characters in each round. In the future someone could try a version involving SNA's scoring system which doesn't involve themes to each round. That way it isn't an issue.

In my mind, the overall goal is to give a good acronym that's at least clever (even if on the easy side) and then accurately guess who each other clue references, much like the list someone had in the leftovers thread. Then there's a bonus for figuring out the theme... though that's not the focus in my mind.

Keep in mind that I'm being vocal to help brainstorm but I'm entirely capable of being way, way wrong... but I trend towards simplicity in rules and scoring. Adding negatives and such just seems like it would be a distraction and relies on others.

I like the idea of scoring for my guessing characters correctly and scoring for me identifying the theme (a secondary focus). That's good and it's simple. Then we probably (but not definitely) need a third scoring rule that works as a control to promote decent acronyms which are a balance between clear but not easy.

Negative scoring just isn't my preference for that control. It puts my score in the hands of others.

If that's the case then go for clear. I admit I'm rather biased on this because I think mine's very clear but I still found it challenging working within the limitations of the letters provided, so it was still fun coming up with an answer and I look forward to seeing how others manage to convey the right answers to me. If your entry is harder to get it doesn't necessarily make it a good clue, it could just be baffling. I get that's why ser not appearing suggested 0 points for either of the two extremes but I still think there's too much luck involved in trying to find a middle ground where some people get the answer and others do not.

I appreciate that this game is harder to nail down than acrophobia but it's only the first round of the first game, I suggest going with clear answers and see how it goes. If the scores are sky high because everyone's guessing correctly then you can consider trying it a different way. You're working really hard to make this work, we appreciate it, thanks :-D

It is a lot of work for me when judging whether a clue is clear enough and can't point to someone else, but that was the original intention. The creativity then is in creating a clue that can only point to the subject and nobody else, while also not being ridiculously easy.

We'll do that then if nobody minds. I will have to ask a few people for a new clue.

Perhaps next round I will cut the given acronyms to two.

So I have ten acceptable entries currently. I have sent a couple of pms to people I need a new clue from.

Remember, you can be fairly cryptic as long as the clue points only to the character you were given. You cannot be deliberately misleading.

I'm hoping I will have all clues in by Thursday 7th August 11pm London Time (GMT) so I can post all the clues on the board then.

More time will be given if needed but I will be chasing up clues not delivered by then.

Thanks

Just a quick note.

I will post your clue in the style you send it to me. Something to take into account in relation to the author-guessing section.

Bolded, in italics, capital letters etc

Tell me now if you'd prefer me to post them all in the same basic style

One way you could make it challenging to come up with clues and to guess the characters, while still letting the players try to make it as easy as possible to identify their character, would be to use obscure characters. If the round's theme was "People Who've Ridden with the Mountain" and your character was Polliver how would you describe him using the available letters?

Which Poliver? The TV Poliver or the book Poliver? Didn't they do different things? (If memory serves. - Or am I thinking of Raff the Sweetling?)

Putrid Brother Unleashed Retaliation - Not very good but I think it could point to a LOT of people.

Brother Could Not Help Lommy Poliver - TV. Raff - books.

Did enough of the people riding with the Mountain do enough memorable things to distinguish them from each other and that you could make acros out of?

my little bit about clarity started as a query but i got more sure as i wrote it - but i am not sure now.

in order to get a point for people guessing your acronym, all the people who guess it get two points each.

so maybe the strategy of making your acronym accurate but hard to guess would work. If yours was harder than other peoples then you are more likely to guess theirs (earning lots of 2 points) while not letting them earn 2 points off you.

either approach could be rewarding.

I think we should all stagger through a few rounds and see what happens. its an experiment after all.

my little bit about clarity started as a query but i got more sure as i wrote it - but i am not sure now.

in order to get a point for people guessing your acronym, all the people who guess it get two points each.

so maybe the strategy of making your acronym accurate but hard to guess would work. If yours was harder than other peoples then you are more likely to guess theirs (earning lots of 2 points) while not letting them earn 2 points off you.

either approach could be rewarding.

I think we should all stagger through a few rounds and see what happens. its an experiment after all.

Yes, I think that is what Dolorous Gabe had in mind. My problem is/was trying to make it accurate ONLY to that person and still having it hard to guess at.

But, as you say - let's stagger on :rofl:

It will be fun no matter which way it goes.

I suspect that some rounds and some characters will be easier than others but that we'll all be pleasantly surprised how some of this gets more confusing than expected. There's bound to be a number of these where it could point to multiple people... and unless it's intentionally so and completely vague, that's a good thing.

The only area of standardized testing I never liked was the blasted section on analogies. I can find comparisons and reasons to link any two words. The trick is picking the best one and that's more about us as individuals than "testing" would suggest. That sort of thing is bound to happen here, over time.

Yes, some have it much harder this round than others do, and next round it might be completely the other way around.

I thought that creating a clue that wasn't too easy to decipher but is clear and couldn't be reasonably mistaken for another character would be a fun challenge. I hope it hasn't been too difficult. Some were incredibly quick to come up with excellent clues. I know some have had it much tougher than others.

I haven't tried to impose a fixed level of difficulty on the clues, only that the clue cannot be so obviously read for another character. Let's say you come to a clue from an acronym reading LHH that reads Lost His Head. It fits for many characters so it just becomes a guessing game. That's the only thing I'm trying to avoid. Something has to definitively give away the character, but it can be subtle and difficult to spot if you can somehow engineer it that way.

Would it help if there were more acronyms to choose from?

Ummmm, Gabe, could you please change "acroPHOBIA" in the title to "acrophobia"? I am having trouble discerning between the two in my inbox and my notifications.

If it is a big deal, I can live with it.

Archived