AcroPHILIA: (acrophobia's strange and incestuous twin) WINNER - Howlin' Howland

Dolorous Gabe

Just me sharing my pain again.

I don't see how anyone can be sure of these answers.

My state of play -

There are six I am sure of, one of these is mine.

There is one which suits two people perfectly logically, its 50-50.

There is another which fits two people, one is better for the clue as written because of one word which applies more to one than the other, but then I think - the author had to find a word beginning with that particular letter, so something less than a perfect fit may equally well be the answer.

There is another one for which I think there are only two candidates, but f I go for one answer, one word is wrong, and if I go for the other, another word is wrong. I don't believe there is a third choice.

There are three which which I can't really get a fix on, each seems to have from 3 to 6 possible answers, the clue doesn't narrow it beyond a small group for me.

There is one that looks like a good clue for a very minor character or a bad clue for a major character.

There are two that seem kind of vague, I've come up with answers but have no confidence, something is eluding me.

There is one that's vague and completely eludes me.

I stlll haven't got a whiff of a ghost of a shred of a theme. Its true I haven't tried systematically looking for one, its just nothings jumped out and extremely obvious ideas I tested went nowhere.

I also have only three ideas about possible authors of the clues so I'll stick the rest in at random I think.

Overall, a very enjoyable game ha ha. Lots to chew on. Could be a full time occupation.

If you can burrow in the right direction of the theme using the surer clues, you may find yourself opening out into a tunnel where you can differentiate more clearly between the possible answers to the trickier clues (if this rabbit analogy makes any sense whatsoever!).

In the meantime, I'm going to hand out the acronyms and characters for round 2. This is just so you know what to expect from round 2 when round 1 ends on Monday night, so you don't have to do anything with them yet as I won't set a definitive deadline until round one is over and we're all happy. I'm hoping if we're all happy that the deadline will be on either Thursday 14th or Friday 15th, but I'll confirm that on Tuesday after publishing round 1 results.

ROUND 2

Below you will see three randomly generated acronyms (with X, Z and Q removed). I will pm each player with a character from ASOIAF and you will create a clue using one of the acronyms below to the character you are given. When you have created your clue you must send me your clue via pm with a satisfactory explanation of how the clue points mainly to the character in question.

Remember, this is all done in secret via pm with me, Dolorous Gabe, your game host.

KVHYOT

PADYA

CHNA

​(sorry about that top one!)

Dangit, I want to know round 1 now!!!

Grasshopper!

Actually, mine are done. Well, as done as they ever will be. Not happy with them, but it's what I'm going with.

I am expecting 15 points from everyone who guesses my acro and absolutely NO more! Can we vote for ourselves? At least I might get an extra point that way :(

Three acros came immediately to mind when reading our new letters. Now I just have to sit on them and see if they are sneaky enough, or too obvious.

Apologies to DreamSongs and ofacloud (and anyone else who was interested in playing but didn't make it) for the capping at 16 players. That was mainly because of having to find enough characters that fit a specific theme criteria.

Have just gone back and found this - something was niggling in my memory.

Consequently, I am going to have to change my theme (pathetic as it was). Which means changing a lot of my answers that were shoehorned in to fit that theme :)

Oh well. . .

London time (GMT). It will likely be approximately 10am GMT when I start calculating scores, so that would be the cut-off point. I was hoping you'd all be done by tonight though!

I have mentioned a few times that the theme is quite specific. That was to help players who were extremely close to the precise theme but not quite. As some players have got the exact theme, I can't give the 10 points to people who were close but not quite exact enough.

EDIT - could be earlier in the morning when I start counting up (still haven't figured out a decent way of doing this). If possible please see the deadline as whenever you head off to sleep tonight!

finally have a name next to each entry, although 5 of them I'm not entirely sure about. I don't think I'll be able to guess any authors either.. Theme..? I think I have one, but a couple people don't fit in the theme I'm thinking. I'll send it soon just to finally have it in. Sorry it took so long! Weekends are busy for me.

finally have a name next to each entry, although 5 of them I'm not entirely sure about. I don't think I'll be able to guess any authors either.. Theme..? I think I have one, but a couple people don't fit in the theme I'm thinking. I'll send it soon just to finally have it in. Sorry it took so long! Weekends are busy for me.

I went ahead and put in my guess for the theme, but it's most likely wrong. Having a fibro flare and my brain won't cooperate with too much thinking.

On one clue I have actually no idea and just guessed a random person that fits my theme guess and probably doesn't contradict the clue. I even dreamed of ot tonight and there all seemed so clear, but when I woke up I had to realise that the thoughts I had while sleeping made no sense at all.

Archived