AcroPHILIA: (acrophobia's strange and incestuous twin) WINNER - Howlin' Howland

Dolorous Gabe

Ummmm, Gabe, could you please change "acroPHOBIA" in the title to "acrophobia"? I am having trouble discerning between the two in my inbox and my notifications.

If it is a big deal, I can live with it.

Hahaha sorry yeah I'll do that now

After a tricky start, the clues are coming in thick and fast (and they're very good). We may just make it for the Thursday evening 'deadline'. I think all the clues I've received are acceptable but you can change them if you so wish up until the deadline.

In the meantime, I'd like to run an idea by you all. If you like it we could implement it into round 2.

If we've learnt anything from this round it's that coming up with a clue that fits only for one character is quite tricky. If we added the number of letters in the character's name like in a crossword clue it might sort out that problem and you could be a lot more cryptic.

For example (using the simple one I used as an example earlier in the thread), let's say your character is Eddard Stark and the letters you have to work with are LHH, so naturally you think 'Lost His Head'. The clue would be submitted like this:

Lost his head (6,5)

Now we have eliminated the possibility that it could be Janos Slynt (just!) or Rickard Karstark

What do you think?

I'll be interested to see how this round goes. I still think most well done clues should point more to the right character and it shouldn't be thaaaat hard. If they point more (enough) to the right character, I don't mind if the clues could potentially reference multiple characters.

This is acrophilia. It should be a bit harder. I don't mind the challenge. Those with phobias should stay away. ;)

I'll be interested to see how this round goes. I still think most well done clues should point more to the right character and it shouldn't be thaaaat hard. If they point more (enough) to the right character, I don't mind if the clues could potentially reference multiple characters.

This is acrophilia. It should be a bit harder. I don't mind the challenge. Those with phobias should stay away. ;)

True enough. I just feel bad every time I have to ask someone for another entry.

It has been hard for some people. If you get a fairly obscure character we know little about and the letters simply don't fit well, it seems to be quite hard. I just want to get the balance right between it being a challenge and it being fun.

After a tricky start, the clues are coming in thick and fast (and they're very good). We may just make it for the Thursday evening 'deadline'. I think all the clues I've received are acceptable but you can change them if you so wish up until the deadline.

In the meantime, I'd like to run an idea by you all. If you like it we could implement it into round 2.

If we've learnt anything from this round it's that coming up with a clue that fits only for one character is quite tricky. If we added the number of letters in the character's name like in a crossword clue it might sort out that problem and you could be a lot more cryptic.

For example (using the simple one I used as an example earlier in the thread), let's say your character is Eddard Stark and the letters you have to work with are LHH, so naturally you think 'Lost His Head'. The clue would be submitted like this:

Lost his head (6,5)

Now we have eliminated the possibility that it could be Janos Slynt (just!) or Rickard Karstark

What do you think?

Before I got to the end of your explanation I was envisioning that you made the clue out of the name - or one of the names.

EDDARD STARK

Executed! Dreadful Decision About Royal Delinquent. (Bad - I know)

or

Silly, Telling A Royal Knowingly. (Again bad - but in a rush)

Before I got to the end of your explanation I was envisioning that you made the clue out of the name - or one of the names.

EDDARD STARK

Executed! Dreadful Decision About Royal Delinquent. (Bad - I know)

or

Silly, Telling A Royal Knowingly. (Again bad - but in a rush)

Haha good job I gave an example then.

What do you think about the idea though?

Obviously I won't do it for this round but perhaps in a future round we could try it out.

Or if it's too easy with both names represented individually it could be their whole name in one number, so for the Eddard Stark LHH example it would be:

Lost his head (11)

That might be better actually

At the least I'd say let's have a round of guessing to see how it goes before changing it the mechanisms of the game. Scoring is one thing, altering the nature of clues and such is another.

In theory, I'd prefer to leave the game simple and open. Add a letter count and no matter my intent, that count will become my default approach instead of really considering the clue.. and plenty of possible answers will be eliminated. Part of the fun I expect is to try and narrow down between likely candidates. A letter count renders that largely irrelevant.

Maybe after a round of guessing I'll realize it wouldn't be a problem. Right now it doesn't appeal.

As always, being vocal doesn't make me right.

Like I say, I wasn't suggesting changing it for this round. It was just an idea to try out in a future round.

I should mention that you've all had quite different experiences in coming up with a clue for this round, but that can be discussed at the end of the round.

Well even if the clue only points to one person it doesn't necessarily mean others will guess it correctly and I believe that's the way it should be, there needs to be winners and losers after all, even if it's for fun. I think showing the number of letters will allow everyone to work it out through process of elimination rather than using the clue, making the game too easy.

Haha good job I gave an example then.

What do you think about the idea though?

Obviously I won't do it for this round but perhaps in a future round we could try it out.

Or if it's too easy with both names represented individually it could be their whole name in one number, so for the Eddard Stark LHH example it would be:

Lost his head (11)

That might be better actually

Yes, I prefer this to breaking the name up. That seemed too easy.

ETA

But, I agree with SNA let's just sit back and see how things go for the moment.

Just under 8 hours until the round 1 clues will be submitted onto the game thread.

I can confirm that every player has now submitted a satisfactory clue. There is a good range in level of difficulty. It will be interesting to see the next phase in action and how the scoring system finally unfolds. Hopefully it might finally make sense :dunno:

You can make satisfactory alterations to your entries up until then.

Apologies to DreamSongs and ofacloud (and anyone else who was interested in playing but didn't make it) for the capping at 16 players. That was mainly because of having to find enough characters that fit a specific theme criteria.

Also, apologies to the players for the gigantic mess this round of submitting has been. I sincerely hope my scoring system works out okay.

Archived