Anyone else felt sorry for Cersei?

hear me bore

Not as much, but he wasn't exactly Ned.

According to Boardology, I must now post about marital rape. Yes, I feel sorry for Cersei. She was never going to win a humanitarian award (apart from the rigged ones), but did she deserved to be raped? To spend her life in misery having to satisfy the sexual needs of a man she loathed, who not only didn't love her, but made little effort to publicly humiliate her through his whoring? The show scene between Robert and Cersei is one of the few that I thought was a great addition.

And not only that, but live her entire life in fear that her children would die. To have one die in her arms, and the others sent away.

After those, the walk of shame seems almost negligible, but it most certainly is not.

Cersei is a mother at heart. She's not particularly malicious, just ruthless. Hell, how often do you hear criticisms of Catelyn for killing an innocent disabled person? That was unnecessary, too. Cersei is far from moral, but she's had a painful life too.So anyone saying she deserves what she got, or reaps what she sows, is way out of line.

To the first bolded part that is no ones fault but Cersei's that she feared her children would die. Cersei brought all 3 children into the world endangering their lives every time her and Jaime had sex and every time she had a child that wasn't Robert's claiming that it was. I'm not about to feel sorry for the dangerous situation that Cersei knowingly and carelessly bought her children up in.

And to the other bolded part Cersei's life wasn't as painful as anyone's else's(not that I'm minimizing her horrible marriage)we all have our tragedies big and small in life we still should act like human beings not selfish, evil, entitled monsters who think they are owed something because of some crazy reason like Cersei.

I've never felt sorry for Cersei because I don't understand how she got so disgusting, so evil, vain, selfish, nasty, she's always been a piece of shit always.

It's interesting that Cersei receives so little sympathy in comparison to, for example, Lysa: Apologists for Lysa talk about how she was denied who she considered to be her true love (Petyr) and was forced to marry an older man for political reasons. Cersei was denied who she considered to be her true love (albeit her twin: not allowed unless you're a Targ) and was forced to marry an older man for political reasons. Lysa complains that Jon was not good in bed, Cersei was having a drunk man take her roughly, leaving her bruised and bloody, while calling her someone else's name. Both Lysa and Cersei killed their husbands, Lysa killed hers for a chance to be with the man she considered her true love, Cersei killed hers to protect her (albeit bastards but still hers) children.

Everything she has done since is to protect her children, the arrest of Ned because he knew the truth (she was willing to let him take the black, didn't actually want him excecuted). The arrest of Tyrion, I believe she believed (and still believes) him to be guilty, due to the threats he made her. Her mistrust of Margaery I would say is logical too, she wants to protect Tommen after what happened with Joffrey, and Margaery clearly isn't as perfect as she wants to appear to be.

Cersei was extremely evil before even her marriage to Robert, she also embodies the disgusting classicist attitude the nobility hold towards their subjects in the series. She's a horrible, horrible person, and pretty much any way the smallfolk can get revenge on her for the misery she caused in her role in the War of the Five Kings is OK in my books.

This being said, being married to Robert is a pretty bad fate, and I wouldn't wish it on a better person.

I did feel sorry for her WoS. Until I realised she learned nothing. I suppose we could say "no one should be exposed to that kind of sexual humiliation". Yet, she was no only enjoying but actually encouraging people to "check" Margaery's virginity while trying to slander her and her cousins' names in front of the whole court, for crimes they didn't commit.

If I am not mistaken, JonCon, that was before the WOS. After it, Cersei is mostly silent and Kevan describes her as having her claws cut off. She showers Several hours after the fact, and is obviously metally wounded for it.

That said, I don't like Cersei. She's hardly a even bad person. Yet, I can't stop rooting for her to finish the High Septon. The Worst types of monsters are the ones that use religion as a weapon.

If I am not mistaken, JonCon, that was before the WOS. After it, Cersei is mostly silent and Kevan describes her as having her claws cut off. She showers Several hours after the fact, and is obviously metally wounded for it.

That said, I don't like Cersei. She's hardly a even bad person. Yet, I can't stop rooting for her to finish the High Septon. The Worst types of monsters are the ones that use religion as a weapon.

You know, I really, really doubt that's true. The High Septon isn't close to Gregor, Ramsay or the Great Goat.

It's interesting that Cersei receives so little sympathy in comparison to, for example, Lysa: Apologists for Lysa talk about how she was denied who she considered to be her true love (Petyr) and was forced to marry an older man for political reasons. Cersei was denied who she considered to be her true love (albeit her twin: not allowed unless you're a Targ) and was forced to marry an older man for political reasons. Lysa complains that Jon was not good in bed, Cersei was having a drunk man take her roughly, leaving her bruised and bloody, while calling her someone else's name. Both Lysa and Cersei killed their husbands, Lysa killed hers for a chance to be with the man she considered her true love, Cersei killed hers to protect her (albeit bastards but still hers) children.

What Lysa did doesn't even compare to the atrocities committed (WILLINGLY) by Cersei. Lysa wasn't a murderer since childhood, she doesn't use the services of a mad torture artist like Qyburn, she does not betray her own subjects, she was forcibly made to do an aborted, and she doesn't seem extremely aware of what her actions caused.

Cersei is a considerably worse person, of course Lysa is going to have more sympathy.

She has changed after the WoS, but she hasn't improved as a person. For example, Cat changed during the Red Wedding, she went mad. If she had survived instead of being brought back, she probably would be the same person Stoneheart is, only, not unDead.

Cersei's punishment was cruel, no one denies that. But if we analyse all of her actions, it's a consequence of them, it was meant to happen. And it had nothing to do with "deserving" it or not. Many characters have died because of actions they brought into themselves. In Cersei's case, it's the same, just that she didn't die. For instance, she lived thinking that she was Tywin Lannister reborn or something like that. She tortured and ordered to kill people with the pretension that her father would be proud. Well, making a woman parade naked around the town IS what Tywin Lannister does and did. She looked for the humiliation of young girls whose only crime was to be younger and prettier than she was, and better players at the game. She used sex (her own and others') to put them down. Is even a surprise that all of that rebounded badly to her? It's kinda hard to feel sorry for someone who has taken so many decisions that we know they weren't going to end up well.

You know, I really, really doubt that's true. The High Septon isn't close to Gregor, Ramsay or the Great Goat.

Gregor and Ramsay are downright sadistic. The High Septon uses his religious fanatism to punish people for ridiculous facts. And now that he has an army... Maybe not worse, but certainly as bad. And to think things like the WOS happen to Women even in today's world...

She has changed after the WoS, but she hasn't improved as a person. For example, Cat changed during the Red Wedding, she went mad. If she had survived instead of being brought back, she probably would be the same person Stoneheart is, only, not unDead.

Cersei's punishment was cruel, no one denies that. But if we analyse all of her actions, it's a consequence of them, it was meant to happen. And it had nothing to do with "deserving" it or not. Many characters have died because of actions they brought into themselves. In Cersei's case, it's the same, just that she didn't die. For instance, she lived thinking that she was Tywin Lannister reborn or something like that. She tortured and ordered to kill people with the pretension that her father would be proud. Well, making a woman parade naked around the town IS what Tywin Lannister does and did. She looked for the humiliation of young girls whose only crime was to be younger and prettier than she was, and better players at the game. She used sex (her own and others') to put them down. Is even a surprise that all of that rebounded badly to her? It's kinda hard to feel sorry for someone who has taken so many decisions that we know they weren't going to end up well.

I do agree that she hasn't changed mentally. Cersei was evil ever since she was a child, and redemption is not on the Cards for her.

I do agree with everything you said, and in there, is Exactly the explanation as to why I do feel sorry for her. Cersei is one of the Worst. Of she could, she would be more than delighted to make Marg or Sansa endure the WOS. But I can't cheer or even feel avenged at something that wasn't Proper punishment for her crimes. It had nothing to do with Cersei being evil and cruel, and everything to do with her being a woman, in power and having sex. That's my Issue with the entire WOS. And the fact that It's created as a form of putting a woman in "her place"... It's just disgusting. Maybe Cersei was the responsable for the actions that Led to This event, but my problem is with the event itself, and how It's just wrong.

I agree very much with the OP. Cersei is a horrible person but she absolutely did not deserve that punishment (WoS) for that "crime" (having sex). She definitely deserves punishment, but for her real crimes (murder and torture), but never that punishment. There isn't any crime for which a WoS is an acceptable punishment.

Hey guys here's a thing:

It's entirely possible to feel sorry for Cersei for the abuse and traumas that she's suffered through while also feeling sorry for the people that Cersei has abused. You can sympathize with Cersei for losing her mother at such a young age, for having Tywin as a father, enduring Robert's rape, and having Joffrey die in her arms but also be disgusted at her for her employment of Qyburn, killing Melara and killing Lady.

because IT IS FICTION after all.

So yeah its never been difficult for me to empathize and sympathize with Cersei especially because some of the best characters in general tend to be terrible people. Walter White, Hannibal, Dexter Morgan, Lady Macbeth you name it.

Of course I feel sorry for her. The Walk of Shame was a gendered punishment given to her because she was a woman with power. There is no way in hell a man would ever be given a walk of shame as punishment for anything. I'm fine with her being punished for all the horrible things she's done, but not for just being a woman with power.

Archived