Dany can Cripple the Slave Trade completely before she leaves Meereen.

Suzanna Stormborn

Maybe some soldiers will take the demon road though, we will have to wait til after the battle to see how many ships she ends up with. But if she were to get 2 other riders for her dragons before she leaves Meereen then I would think 3 riders could protect marching soldiers from anything serious on the Demon Road....actually 1 dragon and rider could probably protect a marching army.

I am not talking about the soldiers. I could see them making the march. I am talking about the mass of civilian freedman, not the soldiers.

Gold bullion and goods are coins? I thought they kind of vaguely understood "this business of buying and selling" or something to that effect.

Drogo was going to invade Westeros and was catching slaves in order to sell them for gold in order to buy ships, so he understood the process.

I am not talking about the soldiers. I could see them making the march. I am talking about the mass of civilian freedman, not the soldiers.

Most of the civilian freedmen will travel with the fleet imo.

Oh yes, them. I have no idea, I am hoping the Kraken and Volatene fleets will provide her with enough ships to help the freedmen back to the homes they were stolen from.

Oh yes, them. I have no idea, I am hoping the Kraken and Volatene fleet will provide her with enough ships to help the freedmen back to the homes they were stolen from.

Doesn't Volantis have like 500 ships? How many are there in the Ironborn fleet?

If a successful anti-slavery policy means regime change in slave buying cities (and by that i mean the final buyers, not the ghiscari) to improve labor conditions, one has to wonder what would the dothraki do afterwards, with no viable market close by for their traditional "export"..

I think they would turn more violent.. Turning from slavery of villages of Lhazar (and others), to sacking richer cities.

Doesn't Volantis have like 500 ships? How many are there in the Ironborn fleet?

And it's like 100-300 passengers per ship right? so that's anywhere from 56,000-168000 passenger seats roughly. How many freedmen and former slaves does Dany have? Some of them will have to walk

Drogo was going to invade Westeros and was catching slaves in order to sell them for gold in order to buy ships, so he understood the process.

Yes, I understand that. But, if the Dothraki are going to actually start producing stuff on there own, then they will probably have to adopt coinage among themselves. Unless, their whole plan is just to take shit from everybody else all the time.

Yes, I understand that. But, if the Dothraki are going to actually start producing stuff on there own, then they will probably have to adopt coinage among themselves. Unless, their whole plan is just to take shit from everybody else all the time.

They don't have to produce their own coinage, they can adopt coinage from say Volantis now that they'll be in the same "team".

If a successful anti-slavery policy means regime change in slave buying cities (and by that i mean the final buyers, not the ghiscari) to improve labor conditions, one has to wonder what would the dothraki do afterwards, with no viable market close by for their traditional "export"..

I think they would turn more violent.. Turning from slavery of villages of Lhazar (and others), to sacking richer cities.

Change is tough for sure, MOIAF could be right about the horses. But the main thing is that if SB is no longer there to buy the slaves then the Dothraki will be forced to figure out something else. Thats why I am convinced of her breaking down the slave trade, since SB and the Dothraki have been such bedfellows for so long, one can't really go on without the other.

How will the civilians travel with the fleet? There are 380 ships, and 80 are used by the IB who won't share. So that leaves the 300 Volantene ships. Even if they can hold 300 people on average they can only hold 90,000 people. Space for about 5,000 will house Dany's army. Since the three SB cities had approximately a total of 300,000 slaves, what's going to happen to the 215,000 unlucky freedmen?

They don't have to produce their own coinage, they can adopt coinage from say Volantis now that they'll be in the same "team".

And that is possible. But, the question is will they be willing to do so.I mean will they actually use it among themselves.

And it's like 100 passengers per ship right? so that 56,000 passenger seats roughly. How many freedmen and former slaves does Dany have?

Actually, I don't know if the Volantene Fleet has been described in the books. If it was, my bad.

But the ships could man between 50 and 500 men. It all depends on the kind of ship. War galleys? Longships? Etc.

How will the civilians travel with the fleet? There are 380 ships, and 80 are used by the IB who won't share. So that leaves the 300 Volantene ships. Even if they can hold 300 people on average they can only hold 90,000 people. Space for about 5,000 will house Dany's army. Since the three SB cities had approximately a total of 300,000 slaves, what's going to happen to the 215,000 unlucky freedmen?

It's highly unlikely the ships can hold 300 people.

Between 100 and 200 is the most common for an average war galley. Many of those ships may not be war galleys.

Between 100 and 200 is the most common for an average war galley. Many of those ships may not be war galleys.

Plus you have to factor in storage for food, water, and fodder.

So yeah definitely some of the former slaves will have to walk the demon road to get out of SB. As long as they take provisions and are in a giant group, I think they will be ok. Meereen still has a ton of food and supplies.

Maybe they can buy some of the Dothraki horses :) And the new circle begins

...also, assuming these people are heading to Westeros, how will they eat? Westeros just burned up any number of harvests, and is facing famine during the winter.

Edit, here's one possibility: vast majority die on the way. Dany mourns so movingly that everyone forgets about her responsibility for the tragedy. Survivors land in Westeros.

If a successful anti-slavery policy means regime change in slave buying cities (and by that i mean the final buyers, not the ghiscari), to improve labor conditions, one has to wonder what would the dothraki do afterwards, with no viable market close by for their traditional "export"..

The Dothraki would be busy for quite a few years, fighting a civil war imo. When Dany (or Drogon, though it's basically the same) will be proclaimed SWMTW, many Dothraki will bow down to her. But there will be Dothraki who refuse to accept her, they'll continue their old ways. I'm pretty sure Dany's Dothraki will be busy with those renegades, who'll probably be supported by the remaining slaver free cities, qarth and possibly other players. The revenue of plunder from those battles would support them short term (especially since they fight for their messiah, which will give them renewed religious zeal to keep on fightning).

Many Dothraki will probably be employed as soldiers on the long term. If the Dothraki raid problem gets solved, there is a huge area of land available to be exploited. The revenue of those places could be used to pay former Dothraki Khalesars to protect the new settlers from any danger to the east.

Archived