Roose has at least one honorable deed to his credit.

Poppa Chase

Didn't get the impression this was done as an honorable did.

Consider the entire setting and "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" and I get the feeling it was more about settling a personal score with Robb , or the Starks in general. Not out of a sense of keeping things in the northern family.

More likely for Roose, it was an attempt to show his loyalty to the new masters.

This. I felt that it was also to rub it in Robb's face in his last moments.

You know, like Scar cruelly saying "Long live the King" so that Mufasa's shock by his betrayal sinks in.

This. I felt that it was also to rub it in Robb's face in his last moments.

You know, like Scar cruelly saying "Long live the King" so that Mufasa's shock by his betrayal sinks in.

If this was about pride, don't you think he would have flayed the last stark king a little bit? Hear him beg for mercy? I know Walder Fret would have wanted to head it. It seemed more like he came in and shut the show down. His blades are sharp and that's all Qorin half hand requested in death.

Didn't get the impression this was done as an honorable did.

Consider the entire setting and "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" and I get the feeling it was more about settling a personal score with Robb , or the Starks in general. Not out of a sense of keeping things in the northern family.

More likely for Roose, it was an attempt to show his loyalty to the new masters.

This.

I don't think the word is "honourable", but yeah. I get what you mean.

it was an incredibly treacherous act, as was the entire "red wedding" but I get that you're saying it was a more merciful death than it could have been. I'd claim that it is an even worse insult and offense on the part of Roose however since he betrayed and murdered a fellow Northman.

I get where you're coming from. He did look him in the eyes, hear his last words and all that I guess. Even lord karstark thanked Robb for doing the northern thing and killing him with his own hands. Wouldn't call it honourable or anything though, he did betray his king, liege lord and allies whilst breaking guest right.

This is the same man that gave Ramsay and his mother Reek version 1.0 because, and I quote this exactly, "It was meant to be amusing". No, I don't believe that the man was being merciful when he gives almost no emotion when betraying the majority of the soldiers in his command and yet finds mild amusements in toying with people to such an extent.

It was the price Roose had to pay to prove to the Lannisters that he was loyal to Joffrey and also his way of dirtying his hands - ala Ceasar, everyone had to participate so as to stick together as it was innevitably controversial. Courtessy had nothing to do with it.

If killing Robb was a courtesy or in any way redeemable Roose would have take open credit for it. Instead he's quite content to leave the impression among his fellow Northerners that it was all the doing of the Freys and that he had nothing to do with it, and that he just "happened" to be in the area of the Twins with his undamaged host in time to sign a peace agreement with Tywin Lannister and be named Warden of the North. The brighter Northerners have a fairly good idea of what happened in reality, and will find out more when the remaining Frey hostages from the RW start trickling home, but the Freys aren't going to spill the full details and Roose certainly isn't in any hurry to elaborate either.

Roose is definitely the anti-Eddard. Definitely more cunning than Ned but in all other respects his personality is worse than the things that one finds stuck to the bottom of one's shoes.

Why is everyone so sure that Roose did it himself?

I always assumed it was steel shanks whodunit.

A. Jamie said "send my regards to Robb Stark" to Walton.

B. Cat would have recognized Roose.

C. If it were Roose no one would have heard what he said.

Maybe I forgot something that indicates Roose personally. I am kind of crunk at the moment.

Roose blames his son Ramsay for kinslaying even though he knows Ramsay is innocent.

???

Why is everyone so sure that Roose did it himself?

I always assumed it was steel shanks whodunit.

A. Jamie said "send my regards to Robb Stark" to Walton.

B. Cat would have recognized Roose.

C. If it were Roose no one would have heard what he said.

Maybe I forgot something that indicates Roose personally. I am kind of crunk at the moment.

"Another man, still wetter, stood before the fire in a pale pink cloak trimmed with white fur. 'Lord Bolton,' she said." -Catelyn VI

"A man in dark armor and a pale pink cloak spotted with blood stepped up to Robb. 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards.' He thrust his longsword through her son's heart, and twisted." -Catelyn VII

Archived