Could Stannis Defend Storm's End Against Aegon?

King of the Rock

Aegon has regrouped with his entire (or the majority) of his forces and is now making his way to Storm's End. The Reach forces have abandoned their siege. If Stannis was at Storm's End, do you think he could defend it against the advancing Golden Company with the troops currently stationed there? We're not including his forces in the north. Only the ones who were countering the Reach siege.

Storm's End seems kind of pointless at this moment in time. Stannis' garrison probably isn't large enough to sally forth to harass anyone from behind. Aegon would really screw up if he invested any time in laying siege to the place while the Lannisters begin moving to contest his appearance. The question of how loyal the Storm Lords are to the Crown is more interesting. I doubt they have any more affection for Cersei than anyone else does, but they are sworn to Tommen who they believe to be a Baratheon. They also flocked to Robert during the rebellion against Aerys, so how likely is it now that they'll show any indications of supporting Aegon?

Storm's End seems kind of pointless at this moment in time. Stannis' garrison probably isn't large enough to sally forth to harass anyone from behind. Aegon would really screw up if he invested any time in laying siege to the place while the Lannisters begin moving to contest his appearance. The question of how loyal the Storm Lords are to the Crown is more interesting. I doubt they have any more affection for Cersei than anyone else does, but they are sworn to Tommen who they believe to be a Baratheon. They also flocked to Robert during the rebellion against Aerys, so how likely is it now that they'll show any indications of supporting Aegon?

I think you misunderstood. Stannis is inside Storm's End preparing for the invasion of the Golden Company. His forces in the north are not there. It's just him and the troops in Storm's End.

Yes, of course.

Aegon and JonCon rely on guile, not on an outright attack. Everybody could defend against an outright attack. Unfortunately, nobody would lift the siege this time. In two or three years Stannis would have starved to death.

Aegon does not yet have these years. He has to fight Tyrells with Storm´s End in his rear, unless he can take it by trickery.

How many years could Ser Courtenay have held Storm´s End, but for shadowbabe?

but this is all moot as Arianne's sample chapter shows that JonCon has already won Storm's End.

Spolier tags were invented for a reason

My guess is Mathis Rowan (and his brother in law Lord Redwyne) are in Illyrio's back pocket. Rowan may hand Storm's End over without a fight.

Except as of ADWD Stannis, not Rowan, holds Storm's End.

Ah, you're right my bad, that's what I get for relying too much on the Wikil. Mathis just has a token force outside of Storm's End not inside.

Yeah, but I still think Rowan will turncloak. He'll be the first of the Tyrell bannermen to get the Aegon Fever, and then it will spread to the others.

Here is a thread on that very topic, in case you're interested

Archived