The Riverlands Web V.3

Booknerd2

The two times he called her Sansa. Both times I think he just wanted to say her name. The first time, she was looking at his broad shoulders, and of course, noticing every detail of his cloak. Curtly! He probably was wagging his tail inside. :lol:

Then later:

Third time will be really good, I'll wager.

Nice post. I see the first instance, as you say, as an opportunity to say her name. Also in a very public place, so must be seen to be courteous and official. Although announcing her as '' Lady Little Bird'' would have been amusing ! :laugh:

The second one I really liked, '' He must have seen something in her face then, for he leaned closer''. Almost like they had an '' Eyes met and she blushed'' moment, so he took advantage and called her Sansa for the first time informally.

Excellent ! So we have confirmation of their reappearance, and all of them at that. Makes this thread and understanding the people/text, all the more important to me.

Edit : And the Direwolves obviously !

This is the thing and why even Hot Pie got his own post. It is the same for me.

Ok, this is said….so now how do they get their in to come back?

Several possibilities for each.

That's right! Hot Pie…please come back to the story!

I loved your post. Really great stuff here.

I am growing ever more confident/sure we will see Hot Pie again, especially after LongRider's post earlier.

Bold : Agreed. Really nice post Karmarni ! Some great addition to the discussion.

Oh, Karmani…this just hit me, how could I forget?

"And just noting as an aside the "piece of bacon". Funny enough, and I have no idea why, GRRM has decided to use swine as a motif with Sandor."

Let's not forget one of his disguises: the "Pig-Feet Peddler Peasant" he pulled with Arya and Stranger in the Riverlands.

Oh, Karmani…this just hit me, how could I forget?

"And just noting as an aside the "piece of bacon". Funny enough, and I have no idea why, GRRM has decided to use swine as a motif with Sandor."

Let's not forget one of his disguises: the "Pig-Feet Peddler Peasant" he pulled with Arya and Stranger in the Riverlands.

Stranger was not happy.

I have to check. I think it might be around the time he tried to attack someone, like bite their face off or something. LOL! Wasn't it a squire?

I always laughed because if Sandor is the peasant peddling pig feet, then he was like expected to be seen as posing like a simple farm horse or something, and you know he was pissed! LOL!

By the time he gets to QI he is tired of the crap he has to do for Sandor.

Interesting, the Blackfish came up at the inn at the crossroads:

Sandor said, “The Blackfish is still in Riverrun?”

“Not for long,” said Polliver. “He’s under siege. Old Frey’s going to hang Edmure Tully unless he yields the castle. The only real fighting’s around Raventree. Blackwoods and Brackens. The Brackens are ours now.”

I love this.

Sandor has some news to chew on over at QI while he is on it.

He knows damn well that this is Sansa and Arya's Uncle and Great-Uncle that is having difficulties. And nobody knows where Sansa is too.

I have to check. I think it might be around the time he tried to attack someone, like bite their face off or something. LOL! Wasn't it a squire?

I always laughed because if Sandor is the peasant peddling pig feet, then he was like expected to be seen as posing like a simple farm horse or something, and you know he was pissed! LOL!

By the time he gets to QI he is tired of the crap he has to do for Sandor.

That was a squire, but he was on horseback and Stranger took a bite at the horse, almost knocking the squire into the mud.

Don't mess with me ! I'm not actually the horse for the peasant peddling pig feet !

That was a squire, but he was on horseback and Stranger took a bite at the horse, almost knocking the squire into the mud.

Don't mess with me ! I'm not actually the horse for the peasant peddling pig feet !

Stranger is pissed already.

I gave him credit only for one attack instead of two. LOL!

Imagine the eye roll and the horror of possibly being mistaken for a peasant farm horse. LOL!

And that's the only time Sandor calls Stranger by name:

"Because knights are fools, and it would have been beneath him to look twice at some poxy peasant. Keep your eyes down and your tone respectful and say ser a lot, and most knights will never see you. They pay more mind to horses than to smallfolk. He might have known Stranger if he’d ever seen me ride him."

Arya tells us his name:

Stranger, the Hound called him. Arya had tried to steal him once, when Clegane was taking a piss against a tree, thinking she could ride off before he could catch her. Stranger had almost bitten her face off. He was gentle as an old gelding with his master, but otherwise he had a temper as black as he was. She had never known a horse so quick to bite or kick.

That is interesting. Very subtle, but could well influence Sandor's thinking moving forward. And as I see Booknerd2 has just mentioned, he knows full well the family connections. This could be an area of thought for him, he has the time. While his dedication and thoughts are with the Stark girls, or maybe one in particular, any supporters/connections and indeed family could be of importance for him.

Ooooh, and that in general has come up before.

That is wonderful that the quote is there. I did not remember that one.

So, is he saying that someone could recognize him down the road due to Stranger? Not only that someone who knows there stuff would know that a warhorse and a beauty, as Stranger most certainly in, would not be used for farm work.

Or is he saying that someone could recognize him because they would know Stranger?

It is the same thing I worry about with Arya. If she reunites with Big Nyms, people see a dirwolf, even if she is in disguise it could be a problem. But if Sandor leaves QI, he would want to be incognito and lay low, and Stranger might be an issue. And the man says it himself. Even just that Stranger is a valuable horse and someone would attack him for that reason.

That is interesting. Very subtle, but could well influence Sandor's thinking moving forward. And as I see Booknerd2 has just mentioned, he knows full well the family connections. This could be an area of thought for him, he has the time. While his dedication and thoughts are with the Stark girls, or maybe one in particular, any supporters/connections and indeed family could be of importance for him.

Yeah. He knows Dad died. Mom and Robb and Lysa. He may need a place to start off and either run into or seek Blackfish. But at this point in LeCygne's quote, he doesn't know Blackfish swam off, right?

But it also tells us that he is aware that Sansa and Arya's uncle is captive and Sansa, well, that is one place she is not.

Stranger is pissed already.

I gave him credit only for one attack instead of two. LOL!

Imagine the eye roll and the horror of possibly being mistaken for a peasant farm horse. LOL!

Ha ! Exactly, great visual there. '' Not only have I had to lump this cart around, but now this peasant's horse thinks to invade my space ? ''

Soon dealt with.

Yeah. He knows Dad died. Mom and Robb and Lysa. He may need a place to start off and either run into or seek Blackfish. But at this point in LeCygne's quote, he doesn't know Blackfish swam off, right?

But it also tells us that he is aware that Sansa and Arya's uncle is captive and Sansa, well, that is one place she is not.

That's right. But my take was that it sparks the fact the Blackfish is out there, and until he hears otherwise is an option. Would maybe be listening keenly for any news on the QI.

Booknerd2 - Hot Pie! :)

I really like this. All the Sansa flying descriptions. Fascinating.

I read the Hound and his descriptive way of talking as his 'naturalist' way of expressing himself as opposed to the highborn, more stilted way of speaking. That he's the kind of guy who would give nicknames to people. Also, he spent a lot of time telling stories, a natural storyteller, this one. And darkly poetic, if you look at it from that perspective.

Your paragraph reminded me of this, do you remember Karmarni? :

Sandor Speak by

Exactly, Sandor Speak should be it's own language, LOL I've always kind of joked that a Sandor POV would probably read like a sad puppy dog's, not the snarling BARK of his speech.

So true!

Sandor Speak: by Mad Madam Mim

• Fuck = the
  • Fuck your ser = Please, call me Sandor
  • Bloody hells. Bloody hells. I’d skin you alive for a cup of wine, girl = I'm slightly parched
  • You look almost a woman… face, teats, and you’re taller too, almost… ah, you’re still a stupid little bird = you look pretty today
  • Do you like wine, little bird? True wine? A flagon of sour red, dark as blood, all a man needs. Or a woman = fancy a drink?
  • I’ll be sure and tell (Gregor) that, before I cut his heart out. = I have brother issues
  • She ought to dip him in fire and cook him. Or tickle him till the moon turns black = I have dwarf issues
  • Bugger that. Bugger him. Bugger you.” Actually I just have an issue with everybody
  • Little Bird = I bloody love you

by booknerd2:

Oh, and...

"A flagon of sour red, dark as blood, all a man needs. Or a woman."

Seriosly, when I read this one, it also struck me as : I am an idiot, I am drunk, I drink too much, I know... I am a mess, I don't know what the hell I am doing, but I am bloody in love with you.

My contribution to Sandor Speak:

"The girl speaks truly. What a man sows on his name day, he reaps throughout the year."

Or, "Fuck you Joffrey, you little pissant."

I won't link to the threads these came from, too much trolling, sadly. But they are pretty funny and deserve a repeat.

:lol:

Ooooh, and that in general has come up before.

That is wonderful that the quote is there. I did not remember that one.

So, is he saying that someone could recognize him down the road due to Stranger? Not only that someone who knows there stuff would know that a warhorse and a beauty, as Stranger most certainly in, would not be used for farm work.

Or is he saying that someone could recognize him because they would know Stranger?

It is the same thing I worry about with Arya. If she reunites with Big Nyms, people see a dirwolf, even if she is in disguise it could be a problem. But if Sandor leaves QI, he would want to be incognito and lay low, and Stranger might be an issue. And the man says it himself. Even just that Stranger is a valuable horse and someone would attack him for that reason.

I think he was saying that they would recognise Stanger. As he was talking about Knights specifically, and their interest in horses ahead of smallfolk.

As Stranger is a magnificent horse, him implying that if they had seen him ride before they may have recognised Stranger, to me says they would have marvelled at such a fine horse and taken the opportunity to inspect and admire him. Thus getting to know his features etc... Such a fine horse is often noted in Westeros, and therefore probably not easily forgotten. That was my take anyway. :dunno:

I think he was saying that they would recognise Stanger. As he was talking about Knights specifically, and their interest in horses ahead of smallfolk.

As Stranger is a magnificent horse, him implying that if they had seen him ride before they may have recognised Stranger, to me says they would have marvelled at such a fine horse and taken the opportunity to inspect and admire him. Thus getting to know his features etc... Such a fine horse is often noted in Westeros, and therefore probably not easily forgotten. That was my take anyway. :dunno:

Typical of horse people, we recognize horses and remember their names, but their owners and riders? Not so much. "Uhhh, what's your name again? I know your horse's name is Blaze." Also, why would a 'poxy peasant' have such a high quality animal?

Archived