Is the golden age of TV over now?

JonArryn

The Sopranos was not famous just for long-form storytelling. It was the quality and style of storytelling and, more importantly for it being influential, the acclaim that it generated.

It basically firmly cemented and distributed the idea that television could be an art form just as profound and important as film.

I completely agree with this.

I won't dispute that, I think it's giving too much credit- or at least giving too little credit to what went before- to say that the Sopranos began the movement. It may have been the starting moment of the golden age but it didn't come completely out of nowhere.

I think you're overlooking The West Wing in particular, there.

The West Wing and the Sopranos both started in 1999.

The West Wing and the Sopranos both started in 1999.

Exactly what I was about to say.

The Golden Age of Television we are referring to here began more or less with cable networks basically trying to make their own The Sopranos.

I've never seen one single episode of The West Wing, but if it's anything like The Newsroom (a show i find extremely pretentious) I'm quite ok with never seeing it.

It wasn't, thank God. It could be sappy but it was not The Newsroom.

Exactly what I was about to say.

The Golden Age of Television we are referring to here began more or less with cable networks basically trying to make their own The Sopranos.

Categorically wrong. The golden age of television began when Donald P. Bellisario and Glen A. Larson formed an alliance to create Magnum P.I.

Categorically wrong. The golden age of television began when Donald P. Bellisario and Glen A. Larson formed an alliance to create Magnum P.I.

I'll hear no more of your moustache-biased propaganda!

I just started re-watching Magnum when I saw the full run was on Netflix. It actually holds up much better than I expected.

However, arc series such as Babylon-5, Xena, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Homicide (which had crossed with Hill Street Blues) and Sex in the City had already been very successful BEFORE 1999. Well, at least Homicide survived for 7 seasons, if not always VERY successful. :) The Wire grew out of Homicide -- via The Corner -- when David Simon attempted first to try out what he'd learned from Homicide.

The Sopranos in no way invented this.

I don't think that's really true... The dragons arent even that big a part of GoT. I think that with the sheer amount of TV shows being made, the amount of quality shows should at least remain steady. The only difference might be that we've done a lot already, and future shows might be too similar.

Most people from average Joe six-pack to ultra sophisticated snobs think that the sopranos was a great show. Of course anyone is allowed to disagree but if you don't think that Sopronos was great what is? And would your show likely have the same broad based appeal? My guess is probably not. That show truly did kick start a golden age.

For what it's worth I thought the first two seasons were great. After that it was a little hit or miss.

Sopranos was a great show, but i wouldn't re-watch the entire thing a 2nd time, unlike most shows i love.

I'm the exact opposite. I think The Sopranos has the best rewatchabilty factor of any of my favorite shows.

The best show I've seen that I have absolutely no desire to watch again is probably Breaking Bad.

Each their own I suppose.

Archived