The Missing

Jack Bauer 24

Just finished

after thinking about it for like ten minutes I kinda loved the ending. I liked the simple resolution as to what happened to Ollie (Alains confession) and the ambiguity to the ending (was that Ollie or is Tony completely mad) the show was maybe a tad too depressing for my liking, literally no humor in any episode that I can recall

can't see myself ever doing a rewatch even though I quite liked it, way to many red herrings and as has been said way to fucking depressing

Just finished

after thinking about it for like ten minutes I kinda loved the ending. I liked the simple resolution as to what happened to Ollie (Alains confession) and the ambiguity to the ending (was that Ollie or is Tony completely mad) the show was maybe a tad too depressing for my liking, literally no humor in any episode that I can recall

Just wanted to say...awesome avatar!

Just finished

can't see myself ever doing a rewatch even though I quite liked it, way to many red herrings and as has been said way to fucking depressing

I think the amount of blood that needed to be cleaned up makes it pretty definitive. An adult could survive that much blood loss, but not a five year old.

I wholeheartedly agree with you second comment.

I think the amount of blood that needed to be cleaned up makes it pretty definitive. An adult could survive that much blood loss, but not a five year old.

I wholeheartedly agree with you second comment.

yeah I 100% don't think that was Ollie and the whole point was showing two sides to the coin, Emily (moving on) and Tony (going mad) but part of me wanted to believe cause they never showed a body lol also that snively Russian kid did kinda look like Ollie :D

And just I love Tcheky Karyo.

I'm with you there - that was a character that was elevated almost entirely by the actor's performance. I'll keep an eye out for his back catalogue - hell I'd watch a show with him as the detective solving cases. Then again the guy playing the tortured paedophile was outstanding as well, it's hard to care about someone with such a sickness but I did feel empathy for him throughout. I don't think that would have been the case with lesser acting.

I still think the show was far closer in tone to "true detective" than "the fall". Especially with the whole before and after format. The main difference was that all the characters were given airtime as opposed to solely selling us on two characters.

I enjoyed the ending but I'll put the rest in spoilers

i like that Olly had been dead all along. The only contrived part for me was how they didn't notice any blood or tyre marks at that crime scene. Also. was the hotel owner secretly getting drunk all the time while collecting his sobriety badges? Otherwise why did he feel the need to get wasted that day? I may have missed something at the end though - was the picture of the stick man with ears on the window by the dad? If not, then that's a big question mark as to whether that child was Ollie. I agree with others though that the dad simply couldn't let go - as evidenced by the cop saying he'd been doing this all over the place.

As for being depressing, it's hard to argue but I'd say there was a lot of humanity on display throughout the show in the unlikliest of places. Baptiste didn't have to let the dad off the murder (but he did figuring he was being punished enough). The dad not telling the hotel owner that her husband was the murderer was also an admirable moment along with the dad finding the time to help the detective find the best help for his daughter. There was also the scumbag journalist who we also found could be human (his exchange with the mum and the scene with his son). So while it was undeniably depressing I felt there was a lot of hope trying to shine through too.

I think it was a great piece of TV with an ending that worked really well - the BBC has had a bunch of good shows on this year but they are often let down by really weak endings (the driver stands out). I'd say say it's up there with "the line of duty" but with characters that are easier to get behind.

I still need to get round to trying Broadchurch, ITV snobbery be damned.

re: ending

Should I feel some ambiguity about that boy in Russia? I'm kinda on the fence about that. But I did enjoy? that in the end the one who was missing was Tony Hughes. He missed out on life in this hollow pursuit and his inability to let it go.

re: ending

Should I feel some ambiguity about that boy in Russia? I'm kinda on the fence about that. But I did enjoy? that in the end the one who was missing was Tony Hughes. He missed out on life in this hollow pursuit and his inability to let it go.

I felt there was supposed to be some ambiguity - the episode was very deliberate in setting it up throughout. I also like your take on how the title refers to things missing (or being missed) besides the abducted child.

Archived