Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

I was deep into Iced Earth at one time but I lost interest around the time Barlow quit the first time. How do you like their newer stuff? I heard it wasn't very good so i haven't listened to much of it.

And yes, we are sorely missing a headbanging smiley.

Just listen to the song "Cthulu" and if you're not convinced, just pass your way ! ;)

If you are, listen to their "Live in Ancient Kourion"... Stu Block is an amazing vocalist (his renditon of "Dracula" on that live is just breath-taking !) !!!!

ill leave it at this: his views dont effect you in the slightest, and cant. his music? his music has a further reach.

what subgenres are you into?

im more black, death, and funeral doom. as well as any combination of those three

Sorry, but his racist views do affect me. I aM a human being who has no time or acceptance of such people.

I am into speed, thrash, death, classic, grindcore, and many other flavors of metal.

Black just bores me typically.

Yep, it's in the same vein ! ;)

Thanks for the tip ! Gonna check'em tommorow (time to sleep now ! ^^)

But yeah, my kind of Metal is mostly Power (and Folk, and sometimes Symphonic - well, mostly Nightwish for that one, but they're my fav band. I can understand why one wouldnt like them at all, I can understand them being called cheesy, but emotionally, they've always managed to appeal to something in me... but enough on NW, we've discussed them quite in lenght already here).

Back on Power Metal, my three fav bands are Iced Earth, Blind Guardian and Sabaton ! \o/

(dammit, we need a headbanging smiley... Metalest one we got is this one : :tantrum: ... or always that one : :cheers: xD )

as far as power metal goes, im not OVERLY exposed to a lot of it because the vocals come across as a bit (and i mean NO offense here), dare i say, whiney? for me power and progressive vocals go hand in hand so mentally i tend to group bands like dragonforce and dream theater together and i know i shouldnt.

out of the few power metal bands i listen to, a lot are female fronted. nightwish, after forever, even theatre of tragedy went through a power phase after their doom that i fell in love with. the guy from kamelot has a great clean vocal, and if you put Vortex from Dimmu/Arcturus in a power metal setting he'd dominate (even though he's a drunken ass apparently)

I listen to a lot of subgenre black metal, mostly of the atmospheric variety.

This, this is my specialty actually. anything to escape my job and reality haha. Forest Silence, great atmosphere, Elffor is good too to get away. Blut Aus Nord will just fuck you up if you listen to it for too long

as far as power metal goes, im not OVERLY exposed to a lot of it because the vocals come across as a bit (and i mean NO offense here), dare i say, whiney?

Yeah but Power Metal is quite diverse !

Yeah sure, bands like Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius or, in a way (though not really) Hammerfall may sound whiney...

But bands like those I named (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Sabaton) use more "trashy" vocals, so maybe you'll enjoy them more.

the guy from kamelot has a great clean vocal, and if you put Vortex from Dimmu/Arcturus in a power metal setting he'd dominate (even though he's a drunken ass apparently)

Yeah, it's still such a shame Roy Khan found fucking God and left Kamelot ! :(

As for ICS Vortex, yeah, that dude can freaking sing !!! But I'm not a fan of his solo albums...

EDIT : there's a lot of fucking "yeahs" in my post... ^^

Sorry, but his racist views do affect me. I aM a human being who has no time or acceptance of such people.

I am into speed, thrash, death, classic, grindcore, and many other flavors of metal.

Black just bores me typically.

death will definitely get you moving more than black will, and for me the best part of grindcore are the soundbites used haha. i wish cam would release new disfiguring the goddess =/

Yeah sure, bands like Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius or, in a way (though not really) Hammerfall may sound whiney...

But bands like those I named (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, Sabaton) use more "trashy" vocals, so maybe you'll enjoy them more.

Yeah, it's still such a shame Roy Khan found fucking God and left Kamelot ! :(

As for ICS Vortex, yeah, that dude can freaking sing !!! But I'm not a fan of his solo albums...

i cant even do king diamond or mercyful fate for that reason haha.

the guy from iced earth is awesome though, i even liked demons and wizards for a bit. my wife's family likes a lot of power though. her dad got into dragonforce from the guitar hero games, and dont get me wrong theyre talented as fuck, i just cant handle the pitch for too long lmao. the guitar skills are top though

This, this is my specialty actually. anything to escape my job and reality haha. Forest Silence, great atmosphere, Elffor is good too to get away. Blut Aus Nord will just fuck you up if you listen to it for too long

Blut Aus Nord is great! I will check out those others.

My all-time favorite in that vein is Summoning. I rec'd a few others in this post from a few pages back.

Just listen to the song "Cthulu" and if you're not convinced, just pass your way ! ;)

If you are, listen to their "Live in Ancient Kourion"... Stu Block is an amazing vocalist (his renditon of "Dracula" on that live is just breath-taking !) !!!!

I will give it a shot! :D

I went through about a two or three-year phase where I barely listened to anything apart from Power Metal, including all the bands you named above plus several others (Primal Fear, Iron Savior, Dragonland etc). Blind Guardian remains one of my top 5 favorite bands.

Blut Aus Nord is great! I will check out those others.

My all-time favorite in that vein is Summoning. I rec'd a few others in this post from a few pages back.

BAN's new memoria vetusta III was a great album. the first of the 777 trilogy was when i discovered them. great band.

agalloch i dont even consider black anymore, but they can definitely take your mind away haha. id love to see them live

opeth i dont thinki need to say anything about mikael's voice can do whatever the hell he wants with it, like mendonca of Akercocke

the new drudkh that JUST came out is actually really good

looking forward to the new myrkur, wish she'd release it already. and hey, a hot chick doing black metal is a plus

midnight odyssey i got into in the last month or two actually. thats the kind of shit you need to spend your 4/20 on hahaha. that and darkspace.

New heavy metal from Chicago:

https://satanshallow.bandcamp.com/track/satans-hallow

It's a name-your-price two-track demo of some killer NWOBHM throwback metal. Can't wait to hear more from this band. Hopefully they'll eventually play a show in my city...

Damn, that was quite good actually !

I must say I really like when female vocalists go heavy that way. (got a big crush on bands like Battle Beast).

the new drudkh that JUST came out is actually really good

I looked on BandCamp and the release date is like the middle of May? Anyway I will be keeping my eye out for it.

midnight odyssey i got into in the last month or two actually. thats the kind of shit you need to spend your 4/20 on hahaha. that and darkspace.

If you like Midnight Odyssey, check out Dis Pater's other projects The Crevices Below and Tempestuous Fall. All are in the same vein but have a slightly different sound and theme. All are brilliant.

I don't 4/20 so much anymore, but if I did it would likely be to something like Seidr.

New heavy metal from Chicago:

https://satanshallow.bandcamp.com/track/satans-hallow

It's a name-your-price two-track demo of some killer NWOBHM throwback metal. Can't wait to hear more from this band. Hopefully they'll eventually play a show in my city...

My god that makes me want to rip the sleeves off all my shirts. It makes me want to drive around blasting that all day. It makes me want to buy a Camero to drive around blasting that all day.

My god that makes me want to rip the sleeves off all my shirts. It makes me want to drive around blasting that all day. It makes me want to buy a Camero to drive around blasting that all day.

:rofl:

And yes, that track was indeed quite tasty.

Since that's the effect a good Metal song is supposed to have, I'd say it's a success ! :cheers:

I looked on BandCamp and the release date is like the middle of May? Anyway I will be keeping my eye out for it.

we're talking "A Furrow Cut Short," correct?

of course i dont condone the leaking of albums or the downloading of said albums, because i always believe in supporting the artist..................................

we're talking "A Furrow Cut Short," correct?

of course i dont condone the leaking of albums or the downloading of said albums, because i always believe in supporting the artist..................................

That's the one.

And yeah, I'll just wait til it's released properly so I can throw those guys some bills. I too have this thing about supporting musicians whose work I enjoy in the hope that they'll, you know, keep making it. :)

That's the one.

And yeah, I'll just wait til it's released properly so I can throw those guys some bills. I too have this thing about supporting musicians whose work I enjoy in the hope that they'll, you know, keep making it. :)

if i paid for all the music i have i would be on the streets, i cant afford my hunger for music actually.

i buy merch instead, thats where the support comes from. it's sad that the thing musicians are known for wont be their primary source of income.

in the near future all income will be merch and ticket sales -- the music, gets you there.

i actually just bought 2 kult of azazel shirts a week or so ago after that accident they had with wormreich that killed 3 -- to support them, funeral costs, and the families. sure it's only 30$, but thats $30 i wouldnt have spent otherwise.

but no, the new drudkh album is awesome, and i definitely recommend it when it comes out ;)

MDF. We will do this.

I am so fucking gutted, though. I have tickets to a show that they're playing in Chicago, but I can't go because I'm traveling for work. :bawl:

Archived