Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

Haha, you're alright, ES ;)

And I have a gift for you in return:Halfacre Gunroom - The Day Is Done similar heavy country rock, kinda like a grittier melancholier LuceroMan's Gin - Dry Body almost gothic, dark folk/americana, here performing a semi-acoustic rendition of a song by the dudes other band Cobalt

Those are both fantastic. I will be investigating both groups further. Thank you!!!

At the request of AncalagonTheBlack, I'm going to try to make a comprehensive list of the metal references in the "A Crown for Cold Silver" map, supra. Feel free to fill in anything I've missed or correct any faulty assumptions (X-ray, Ferrum, Durckad, MC, looking hard at y'all)

Lemi = Lord God Lemmy himself, duh

Samoth = of Emporer etc fame

Black Cascades & Diadem [of Twelve Stars] are both albums by Wolves In The Throne Room

Geminides immediately struck me as a play on Ides of Gemini

Avsa = Bay Area sludge/doom outfit

Panteran Wastes = Pantera, obvi

Agalloch = uhh... yeah. Straight up lifted from name of same.

Messhug = technical "djent" (fuck do I hate that word) band Messhugah

Desolation sound = kinda torn on this one... Could be reference to actual BC landmark, notable in this case for close proximity to such acts as Agalloch & WITTR, or possibly album of same name by UK HC/crust punkers Gallows

Bal-Amon Jungle = Bal Sagoth & Amon Amarth?

Thantifax = Thanifaxath, Canadian black metalers

Trve = trve kvlt?

Witchfinder Plains = Witchfinder General?

Edit, maybe Yennek ("Kenney" backwards) refers to Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh?

Edit2: yeah, going with that -- as Nottap is Patton; as in comma Mike.

Thanks for doing this,much appreciated! :)

I came across a few more in the book:

Diadem - http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Diadem/12271
Ensiferum - http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ensiferum/332
Opeth - http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Opeth/38

“Ah!” Maroto brightened considerably, snapped his fingers. “At Ensiferum, right before Zosia snuck into Diadem and got Kaldruut with the old sneak-and-shank! You would have had us for sure, if Hoartrap hadn’t—”

Lady Opeth yanked wailing into the funnel python’s pit when she had heroically sought to save the last crate of pâté from the sinking supply wagon

At the request of AncalagonTheBlack, I'm going to try to make a comprehensive list of the metal references in the "A Crown for Cold Silver" map, supra. Feel free to fill in anything I've missed or correct any faulty assumptions (X-ray, Ferrum, Durckad, looking hard at y'all)

Lemi = Lord God Lemmy himself, duh
Samoth = of Emporer etc fame
Black Cascades & Diadem [of Twelve Stars] are both albums by Wolves In The Throne Room
Geminides immediately struck me as a play on Ides of Gemini
Avsa = Bay Area sludge/doom outfit
Panteran Wastes = Pantera, obvi
Agalloch = uhh... yeah. Straight up lifted from name of same.
Messhug = technical "djent" (fuck do I hate that word) band Messhugah
Desolation sound = kinda torn on this one... Could be reference to actual BC landmark, notable in this case for close proximity to such acts as Agalloch & WITTR, or possibly album of same name by UK HC/crust punkers Gallows
Bal-Amon Jungle = Bal Sagoth & Amon Amarth?
Thantifax = Thanifaxath, Canadian black metalers
Trve = trve kvlt?
Witchfinder Plains = Witchfinder General?

Edit, maybe Yennek ("Kenney" backwards) refers to Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh?

Niles is probably a reference to Nile, technical death metal band, or to Frasier Crane's brother. Both are pretty metal

Larks Tounge Peak = King Crimson reference? If so, fuck yeah.

Ubsa = Absu?

I kinda want to read this now...

Dunno if being a racist, antisemitic murderous nazi is the same as writing some blasphemous lyrics.

Varg's lyrics do not contain any of his political views. He is not racist, anymore at least.

there are fake companies that copy and paste an album cover on a tshirt and sell them as their own too, without he artist's knowledge. problem is, it's halfway decent work, looks legit, and in some cases you cant find the actual artist's merch anywhere. then it becomes a debate.

im proud to say i havent contributed as of yet toward any of that though. including what you mentioned (no need to buy bootlegs either [yarr])

Mastodon is wellr espected here in the states. i think i saw them once at ozzfest back in the day. i have a problem with the clean vox (as is usual for me haha, it takes a certain sound for me to accept cleans -- ill NEVER like trivium)

but mastodon definitely got the crowd moving back when i saw them, definite respect

I like your display pic. Ordered a physical copy in the mail. Gardens of Corprolite is my favourite track so far, that bass intro was fantastic. What are your thoughts on the album?

Xray the Enforcer

Posted Today, 08:26 AM

I am going to have to avoid this book. That kind of gimmick will just completely destroy my ability to enjoy the story on its own term, especially if the author inserts references to bands I think are shit.

TBF,the book is nearly 700 pages long and the references were far too few and apart to detract from my enjoyment of the story.

It's not like every page was littered with refrences to metal.

I must confess I was always morbidly fascinated by the stories behind Burzum and Mayhem and all that Euronymous / Vikernes friendship / rivalry that turned to hell.

So yeah, maybe it will be a really bad taste movie, but nontheless, there is a story there. Most of these people are still alive though so it's gonna be interesting to see how they're portrayed. I just hope it wont be some crappy dark teen movie but a bit more serious biopic.

So far, all I know of Akerlund are his video clips and live DVD directions (some are pretty good, others are lame), never seen his movie creations, so well, I dunno what to expect.

EDIT : Ha ! Necrobutcher's reaction to the movie (guy aint changing ! ^^) :

“This book Lords of Chaos is f—ing crap and that some stupid Swedes are gonna make a movie out of it is not OK. I will do everything I can to stop this film … Tell the Swedes and the Hollywood people to go f— themselves.”

http://loudwire.com/jonas-akerlund-direct-lords-of-chaos-film-mayhem-euronymous/

Remind me of his memorable apparitions in the Headbanger's Journey documentary :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8lMvV5U9XQ

I like your display pic. Ordered a physical copy in the mail. Gardens of Corprolite is my favourite track so far, that bass intro was fantastic. What are your thoughts on the album?

Album of the year so far, in my opinion. Jef's lows fit right in, and a first attempt i think if i remember correctly. No two tracks ont he album sound alike, and within one album, he's got black metal, death metal, funeral doom metal, and depressive black (i consider it different than straight up black), not to mention 4 vocals styles in his harsh raspy (usual) croaks, he also has lows, spoken word and desperate shrieks in the dsbm tracks.

admittedly i skip the funeral doom tracks, simply because on a 25 minute drive to/from work, 10 minutes takes up too much of the drive. when im using my headphones though those are awesome.

my favorites are gardens of coprolite, within thrall, & wicked fields of calm (the pondering the wealth of the stars remake)

nah Wrest is one of my top 5 favorite musicians, he's come a long way and deserve every ounce of credit he's worked for. I bought the hoodie to recognize the album release, which came with stickers i put on my flask and coffee thermos haha.

on a late, self-loathing night, sometimes i like to either drink up, or smoke ul, or both, turn out the lights, turn on my laser machine, and just zone the fuck out to scar sighted, anything to escape, and forget

Those into power/heavy metal (and homesick Geordies) might want to check out Starborn. It's a bit much for my tastes, but fans of Fates Warning, Pyramaze, etc would probably dig this.

Here's the debut EP -- fairly raw, almost sounds like a different vocalist:

https://starbornpower.bandcamp.com/releases

And here's a track off of their upcoming debut LP -- much more polished:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWNIQdvCqIQ&feature=youtu.be

Archived