Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

Just looked at the posted set times for MDF. Damn, this might be the only year where Sunday looks way more bad-ass than Saturday, and I've been going to this fest for a long goddamned time.

As such (and I'll post this elsewhere), I think we have ourselves a Saturday afternoon for mayhem. Only bands I *really* want to see during afternoon/early evening are Morpheus Descends and Arcturus. I think I'll be spending most of that night at Soundstage. \m/

Currently listening to Behemoths Zos Kia Cultus, in my opinion their peak in their death metal direction, before the overblown bombast of Evangelion and Demigod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCoM_UVsCmU

As such (and I'll post this elsewhere), I think we have ourselves a Saturday afternoon for mayhem. Only bands I *really* want to see during afternoon/early evening are Morpheus Descends and Arcturus. I think I'll be spending most of that night at Soundstage. \m/

As someone who has yet to experience any live metal concerts, i'd give my right leg to see Skeletonwitch, Motorhead, or Behemoth live. Motorhead especially considering Lemmy doesn't have much left in terms of longevity.

today was a good day for me though. I've been a fan of Moonblood for awhile, and theyre infamous for their legendary TERRIBLE recordings that sound like they were performing into a fisher price mic.

but today, today i discovered they re-released the majority of their back catalogue remastered. holy shit they sound legit and professional!

sorry, i have no one to rant to in my direct vicinity and this totally made my day. Moonblood is AWESOME

Just FYI: Those who choose to avoid Burzum because of Varg's ideologies would do well to also avoid Moonblood. If nothing else, at least for personal safety issues at shows -- I saw an ugly fight at a venue once that was partially sparked by someone wearing a Moonblood shirt (and all the baggage associated).

Just FYI: Those who choose to avoid Burzum because of Varg's ideologies would do well to also avoid Moonblood. If nothing else, at least for personal safety issues at shows -- I saw an ugly fight at a venue once that was partially sparked by someone wearing a Moonblood shirt (and all the baggage associated).

he has an nsbm attitude, admittedly. but admittedly i see no difference between nsbm and say, satanic black metal against christianity. theyre just lyrics *shrugs* most of it is glorified patriotism construed as racism.

nsbm only makes up like, 10% of black metal collectively. satanism probably around 30%

Dunno if being a racist, antisemitic murderous nazi is the same as writing some blasphemous lyrics.

wait we're still on varg? lmao. you sound like someone from metalsucks/metal injection.

his personal beliefs arent reflected in his music though. theyre all lord of the rings/fantasy elements lmao, id hardly consider Burzum nsbm. but to acknowledge your point, yes, varg's personal choices are agreeably loathsome. i just recognize i can appreciate the music beyond his choices.

example:

Adolf Hitler.obviously a complete and utter asshole. however, name me another german leader without googling it. for germany, he was the best they ever had, even going to such extremes as literally forging a conquest that nearly resulted in global domination.

again, douschebag extraordinaire. but he was also the greatest leader and strategist germany ever had. and he wasnt even german either!

all im saying, is not to personify an entire genre of music based on varg. obviously i wouldnt think you do that. but it's the same as anything else. i personally despise faith and christianity as a whole, and even im guilty of even PRAISING westboro baptist church for validating and being a prime example of all things i hate. but i do know open minded christians. not many, but theyre there.

admittedly i see no difference between nsbm and say, satanic black metal against christianity.

That is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But there are others who are just as into BM and who still differentiate between those two forms of expression.

My opinion is that people should know what they could be supporting, especially when real-world consequences (getting a beatdown, getting stabbed, losing one's job) are potentially at stake, and I act accordingly by mentioning troublesome affiliations. Think of it as the black-metal version of informed consent. Like it or not, Moonblood are associated with NSBM in the greater metal scene, as are the BBH bands and a number of others.

Speaking of BM -- I ran across an interesting experiment recently. Death Karma is a side project of Cult of Fire. I guess being obsessed with Tantric ritual (2013's release मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान ) was just not enough for CoF that they had to start a totally new band to really just dwell in the decrepitude. I gotta say, their first full-length, The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I is actually pretty cool. I will need more time with it to see if it sticks, but it's enough that I think I would really like to see these guys live. I turned down the opportunity to see Cult of Fire perform a live ritual last year during Martyrdoom (Hell Militia had already destroyed all comers and I didn't want to sully the experience), but I would really like to see Death Karma live.

That is your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But there are others who are just as into BM and who still differentiate between those two forms of expression.

My opinion is that people should know what they could be supporting, especially when real-world consequences (getting a beatdown, getting stabbed, losing one's job) are potentially at stake, and I act accordingly by mentioning troublesome affiliations. Think of it as the black-metal version of informed consent. Like it or not, Moonblood are associated with NSBM in the greater metal scene, as are the BBH bands and a number of others.

Yes, but let me ask you this: is Moonblood's music not amazing to listen to (if youre into black metal, of course). Listening to nsbm would never ever make me a racist, as i listen to the music and dont act. it's the same concept with violent videogames and school shootings, the two are NOT linked, no matter how badly the media perpetrates it to be. But i do see your point. The fact I lsiten to certain acts associated with that wing, goatmoon, satanic warmaster, etc, does that mean I deserve to get shot? Does it make me a racist because i enjoy shrill vocals and good speedpicked chord progression?

Speaking of BM -- I ran across an interesting experiment recently. Death Karma is a side project of Cult of Fire. I guess being obsessed with Tantric ritual (2013's release मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान ) was just not enough for CoF that they had to start a totally new band to really just dwell in the decrepitude. I gotta say, their first full-length, The History of Death & Burial Rituals Part I is actually pretty cool. I will need more time with it to see if it sticks, but it's enough that I think I would really like to see these guys live. I turned down the opportunity to see Cult of Fire perform a live ritual last year during Martyrdoom (Hell Militia had already destroyed all comers and I didn't want to sully the experience), but I would really like to see Death Karma live.

I love cult of fire even if i cant even think, how to pronounce their album titles. i think my ipod LITERALLY uses empty spaces to define the song titleshaha. I need to check out death karma, CoF is awesome. ill let you know what i think.

it's ashame, but i really would have adored to see Akercocke live whne they were together, it's such ashame, but i guess Voices is a direct continuation of them. theyre practically identical with exception to vocals obviously. Jason Mendonca man, highs, lows, cleans, whatever the fuck he wants. and a shnazzy suit too

does that mean I deserve to get shot?

Absolutely not. The only people who deserve to be shot are those motherfuckers who try to sell bootleg vinyl as legit. It only took a bazillion years, but I was FINALLY able to score a proper version of Sarcofago's INRI on vinyl for a sane price. Fuck off, jackasses who create bootlegs and then try to sell them for kvlt prices.

Absolutely not. The only people who deserve to be shot are those motherfuckers who try to sell bootleg vinyl as legit. It only took a bazillion years, but I was FINALLY able to score a proper version of Sarcofago's INRI on vinyl for a sane price. Fuck off, jackasses who create bootlegs and then try to sell them for kvlt prices.

there are fake companies that copy and paste an album cover on a tshirt and sell them as their own too, without he artist's knowledge. problem is, it's halfway decent work, looks legit, and in some cases you cant find the actual artist's merch anywhere. then it becomes a debate.

im proud to say i havent contributed as of yet toward any of that though. including what you mentioned (no need to buy bootlegs either [yarr])

Just listened to Mastodon's Once More 'Round the Sun and it was pretty cool !

Mastodon is wellr espected here in the states. i think i saw them once at ozzfest back in the day. i have a problem with the clean vox (as is usual for me haha, it takes a certain sound for me to accept cleans -- ill NEVER like trivium)

but mastodon definitely got the crowd moving back when i saw them, definite respect

For those into the more atmospheric/pnw bm stuff... I thought I read somewhere (can't find it for the life of me though...) about a new project from K. of Ash Borer and one of the dudes from Fell Voices. Fairly certain I know exactly what it's gonna sound like, but also pretty certain it's gonna be pretty raw and gnarly.

Assuming it wasn't like, a dream, or something.

Hi, Metal Cats:

I am here to deliver a present for the Xs and Mr. R.R. Lobster that is legitimate metal, albeit a bit weird. I doubt any of you will object.

I have another present for them, as well as the rest of you, but it is illegitimate, and probably considered blasphemy to this thread.

<runs out waving cowboy hat and whooping maniacally>

Hi, Metal Cats:

I am here to deliver a

for the Xs and Mr. R.R. Lobster that is legitimate metal, albeit a bit weird. I doubt any of you will object.

I have

for them, as well as the rest of you, but it is illegitimate, and probably considered blasphemy to this thread.

<runs out waving cowboy hat and whooping maniacally>

Haha, you're alright, ES ;)

And I have a gift for you in return:

Halfacre Gunroom - The Day Is Done similar heavy country rock, kinda like a grittier melancholier Lucero

Man's Gin - Dry Body almost gothic, dark folk/americana, here performing a semi-acoustic rendition of a song by the dudes other band Cobalt

Archived