Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

First of all, you have a cool username! :thumbsup:

I began listening to metal in 1990, the year AC DC issued their album "The Razor's Edge". One of my cousins got me into metal - because he always played some Iron Maiden when we met.

\m/...\m/

And a very personal memory I'd also like to share.

My grandmother was 88 when Metallica released their black album. I had been very pissed off during the day, and she came up to my room with her crutch (my parents live in a two-story house), sat on a chair and I was listening to that album.

I wanted to know what she was doing in my room, and she looked at me and said, "That's not my style of music, but I'm listening to it, because you like it."

And she really stayed!

Then - I guess at track 6 or so - she got her crutch and left.

I always get tears in my eyes when I listen to that album.

RIP.

My pick of bands: Ensiferum, Amom Amarth, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, AC DC, Anthrax (does that count?), Arch Enemy, Anaal Nathrakh, Metallica, Cthonic, and many more.

Thanks King T for the props on the name. I really liked Blackwater episode and Tyrion in general. ((An aside, I am really hoping that young Podrick who is growing by leaps and bounds into a man of action will plant the axe in Ramsay's head when he and Brienne rescue Sansa from mortal peril, but that is another story.....))

Moving story about your grandma, rest her soul. Perhaps she would have enjoyed a live Metallica show. The one I saw, they were ferocious players, but also friendly and quite gentlemanly. Hetfield started the show on a tall platform with eerie lighting and he encouraged us to use the show as a tool to work out our pain, aggression--a heavy metal New Age seminar on "getting in touch with your feelings."

Hetfield was very cheeful and smiley and she might have found him to have a friendly, pleasant presence.

Your grandma might also have enjoyed the indoor fireworks, lights, and the biggest flames I have ever seen, shooting to the ceiling. "A+" for pyrotechnics that night.

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards,

"From the Night's Watch Library....."

Looking back, the black album wasn't that bad. Nothing else matters is a good song. Black album still better than almost anything that came after it.

It was played at the wedding of my cousin who got me into metal. In a cello-violin version. And later, they danced a waltz to it.

Thanks King T for the props on the name. I really liked Blackwater episode and Tyrion in general. ((An aside, I am really hoping that young Podrick who is growing by leaps and bounds into a man of action will plant the axe in Ramsay's head when he and Brienne rescue Sansa from mortal peril, but that is another story.....))

Moving story about your grandma, rest her soul. Perhaps she would have enjoyed a live Metallica show. The one I saw, they were ferocious players, but also friendly and quite gentlemanly. Hetfield started the show on a tall platform with eerie lighting and he encouraged us to use the show as a tool to work out our pain, aggression--a heavy metal New Age seminar on "getting in touch with your feelings."

Hetfield was very cheeful and smiley and she might have found him to have a friendly, pleasant presence.

Your grandma might also have enjoyed the indoor fireworks, lights, and the biggest flames I have ever seen, shooting to the ceiling. "A+" for pyrotechnics that night.

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards,

"From the Night's Watch Library....."

Oh, I second your aside. ;o) Pod is awesome. I got an autograph from Daniel. :smug:

I guess she would have liked that... yeah. My grandmother was a cheerful woman. And if I had asked her she might have come and joined me there, too.

I like the Black Album. I also like the Brown Album by Primus and even Claypool claims to hate it.

Go figure.

He's made fun of that album at live shows ever since it came out. I love Shake Hands with Beef. That's a song they played live for many years before the Brown Album came out, and I haven't seen them play it live since. :frown5:

I started banging my head in the mid 70s to the music my older uncles listened to

like diamond head, judas priest and motorhead, etc

later during the 80s i got more speed death metal happy with anthrax, yes they count, venom, megadeath

Nice!

I'd really feel remiss if I didn't bring up Satan in this thread. For those of you not in the know, they were an influential (yet severely overlooked until recently) NWOBHM band with a kind of proto-thrash, missing link kinda vibe. Essential shit. And they've got a new album due out this October.

Edit:formatting

I started out being a fan of heavier blues guitar stuff, like ZZ Top, George Thorogood etc. I loved and still have moods that require Pink Floyd (not really metal of course but, still, it's Pink Floyd).

The Australian band The Angels was another of my favourites.

I then moved on to the usual suspects from the 80's (the glam rockers) until I was introduced to Master of Puppets, which is still to this day my favourite album, with Orion being one of my favourite pieces of music.

More recently I've found myself in an AC/DC kind of mood every now and then.

Nice!

I'd really feel remiss if I didn't bring up Satan in this thread. For those of you not in the know, they were an influential (yet severely overlooked until recently) NWOBHM band with a kind of proto-thrash, missing link kinda vibe. Essential shit. And they've got a new album due out this October.

Edit:formatting

What the hell is NWOBHM?

A correction must be made. Glam Rock is the stuff from the early 70's that artists like David Bowie and Marc Bolan were putting out. It's not to be confused with the 80's stylings of bands such as Poison and Motley Crüe, which is properly known as Glam Metal, or to help avoid confusion, Hair Metal.

I can't properly express my love of old school metal.

Iron Maiden are the reason I got into lighting in the first place and my 'win the lottery' fantasy still involves getting a shit-ton of lights and an arena so I can fulfill my ultimate artistic vision of lighting my favorite metal songs.

I do of course, but being younger (I was born in 1991), I never lived that pure golden age, and even though I love those big classic bands, my favourite remains more younger ones : Nightwish, Iced Earth, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Amorphis, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Hammerfall...

Can't figure out a way to edit in quote, so two posts in a row it'll be.

I know how you feel, I'm even younger, being born in 1995. It's now about six years since I discovered Maiden, so I wonder if I'm the one here who's been listening to metal for the shortest amount of time.

You have very good taste, especially glad to see some appreciation for Iced Earth, my second favorite band after Maiden. Dante's Inferno has to be my favorite Iced Earth track. A journey through the nine plains of hell combined with a 16+ minute metal track is a match made in Heaven, or more fittingly: Hell.

Archived