Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

Here's Hour of Penance, some awesome death metal from Italy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WmbQNDZ8c

Man, I've always been more of a black metal guy that didn't pay much attention to death metal, but I'm glad I've started to. Now I haven't listened to any black metal in weeks. Anybody have any good 90's death metal? Anything like Spawn of Possession or early Suffocation? Really love the production on that era of dm.

Here's Hour of Penance, some awesome death metal from Italy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59WmbQNDZ8c

Good choice - that album was one of my top 10 from 2014.

Speaking of black metal, I'm currently enamored with an up and coming Australian outfit called Claret Ash. Musically they remind me a lot of Immortal.

Any recommendations for some good hardcore heavy metal/Doom metal?

Sleep - One of the forefathers of stoner metal. They broke up back in the 90's and their members went to start up both High On Fire and Om. Dopesmoker is a seminal stoner metal album but honestly, I'm not that big on it. It's one song that's over an hour long and thus it feels really stretched out at points. Holy Mountain is good stuff though.

Candlemass - Traditional doom with a heavy Black Sabbath-inspired sound. Also, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is a stupidly good classic album.

Ufomammut - Doom that mixes stoner/psychedelic and a bunch of other stuff

Electric Wizard - Stupidly heavy stoner/doom metal. Some might say this is mostly just stoner metal but whatever. Genres, blech. Also, Dopethrone is a classic that every metal fan should, (ir)regardless of their genre preferences. 

Novembers Doom - Death/Doom metal. They kind of sound like Opeth if Opeth were more doomy. Some of their lyrics are cringeworthy though and this is coming from a genre that regularly sings about sorcery, dragons, and weed-smoking wizards.

Yob - Stoner/Post-Metal. Very heavy and Mike Scheidt is a helluva vocalist. Their latest, Clearing The Path To Ascend, was one of my favorite albums from last year.

Pallbearer - Just some straight up, traditional doom.

Kuolemanlaakso - Finnish death/doom. The lyrics are sung (growled) entirely in Finnish so if that bugs you, then avoid but then you miss out on some pretty damn good doom.

Om - Very psychedelic and straddles that thin line between stoner and doom. Definitely not something I listen to when I want to bang my head, OM is contemplative and... soothing? 

Sleep - One of the forefathers of stoner metal. They broke up back in the 90's and their members went to start up both High On Fire and Om. Dopesmoker is a seminal stoner metal album but honestly, I'm not that big on it. It's one song that's over an hour long and thus it feels really stretched out at points. Holy Mountain is good stuff though.

Candlemass - Traditional doom with a heavy Black Sabbath-inspired sound. Also, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus is a stupidly good classic album.

Ufomammut - Doom that mixes stoner/psychedelic and a bunch of other stuff

Electric Wizard - Stupidly heavy stoner/doom metal. Some might say this is mostly just stoner metal but whatever. Genres, blech. Also, Dopethrone is a classic that every metal fan should, (ir)regardless of their genre preferences. 

Novembers Doom - Death/Doom metal. They kind of sound like Opeth if Opeth were more doomy. Some of their lyrics are cringeworthy though and this is coming from a genre that regularly sings about sorcery, dragons, and weed-smoking wizards.

Yob - Stoner/Post-Metal. Very heavy and Mike Scheidt is a helluva vocalist. Their latest, Clearing The Path To Ascend, was one of my favorite albums from last year.

Pallbearer - Just some straight up, traditional doom.

Kuolemanlaakso - Finnish death/doom. The lyrics are sung (growled) entirely in Finnish so if that bugs you, then avoid but then you miss out on some pretty damn good doom.

Om - Very psychedelic and straddles that thin line between stoner and doom. Definitely not something I listen to when I want to bang my head, OM is contemplative and... soothing? 

Thanks. Any recommendations for some heavy ass head banging music? I've just started getting into this genre and been listening to Slipknot for the first time.

Thanks. Any recommendations for some heavy ass head banging music? I've just started getting into this genre and been listening to Slipknot for the first time.

Well, first of all, and no offense meant, but throw out those slipknot albums and go buy some GWAR.

hey slipknot is ok for a quiet  night in but to bang that head and heavy ass i second my friend Red...Madness at the core of time, brother... play it loud \m/

Ok, came of with some headbangers for you. You shouldn't need us to point you to Maiden, Motörhead, or Metallica, so I tried to go with somewhat more accessible beginner class stuff that can put you on the path to the finer things in life.

Start with some NWOBHM, the primordial ooze from whence much of our thrash, speed and power metal crawled
Diamond Head

Satan

Jaguar

Classic warlike power metal
Three Inches of Blood

Move on to melodic death
At the Gates

Unanimated

And some various mixes of very riff-y throwback sludgey crusty thrashy whatever
Doomriders

The above mentioned High On Fire

Vhöl

I may get some shit for it here, but I don't give a fuck. I love this band, and covering one of the best hardcore songs ever written (can be a nice eventual stepping stone to crustpunk/ d-beat) Planes Mistaken for Stars

great list, lobster dude.

might i add these bands that are nice gateways into things:

order of ennead death with a bit more of experimentation and symphony to it

hate eternal straight fucking american death metal

cephalic carnage denver prog death brought to  you by insane amounts of pot

decrepit birth the most stoned tech death band in the world

necrophagist super technical lead guitar masturbation. oh, and songs about dead things.

Terrible advise.

gwar may not be everybody's cup of tea. however, slipknot is awful. what do they have like 9 guys in the band? one of them just beats trashcans with a bat. i saw them live once and i just kept asking myself how does it take so many guys to sound that bad? if i were in slipknot i too would hide my identity by a mask. 

Archived