Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

First 30 bands have been announced for MDF 2016. Some real gems in there, too.

Auroch (Canada)
Bongripper
Bongzilla
Denouncement Pyre (Australia)
Deströyer 666
Disgorge
Exciter
Gruesome

Haemorrhage (Spain)
Hail of Bullets (Netherlands)
The Haunted (Sweden)
Jungle Rot
Khold (Norway)
Lord Belial (Sweden)
Malignant Tumour (Czech Republic)
Mitochondrion (Canada)
Nocturnal Graves (Australia)
Phobocosm (Canada)
Putrid Pile
Samael (Switzerland) - "Ceremony of Opposites" set
Saturnalia Temple (Sweden)
Severe Torture (Netherlands)
Sinister (Netherlands)
Svartidauði (Iceland)
Svarttjern (Norway)
Thulcandra (Germany)
Tulus (Norway)
Venom (UK)
Visceral Disgorge
Wormed (Spain)

Hello Ice/Fire Forum Folks, new to the board. Who enjoys/enjoyed the Heavy Metal of the 1980s?? I would call myself a junior metalhead--not totally immersed or obsessed with it--but looking back I give metal credit and the musicians who played it a lot of respect.

They had some fantastic songs, flash, bravado, energy, athleticism, showmanship. Underneath the hair and the leather/chains, there were some excellent musicians and singers. In the 80s, saw David Lee Roth (more hard rock not really metal, but a crazy showman live) with glam metal bands Poison and Cinderella opening. Also saw Def Leppard after the one armed drummer Rick Allen returned from his terrible car accident. Very inspiring. Great moment when he waved to us with his remaining hand.

Later on, in the 2000s, saw Metallica, Scorpions, Dio, a few others. All exciting shows though I was older, and reacted differently. I really got into seeing how these songs affected others at the show, especially Generation Next, expressions on faces, do they still dance and bop up and down, shake fists, make the classic two finger metal salute?? Answer was a resounding yes.

So if anyone wants to share some metal memories, feel free. Motley Crue: "Nothing but a good time...how can I resist?"

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards

"From the Night's Watch Library..."

Bongripper and Bongzilla? Nice

Still trying to convince the wife to go next year. She had fun this year, but we're supposed to take a vacation of her choosing next.

But, I mean, we didnt even get to stay the whole time... that shouldn't count, right? I'm calling metal mulligan.

Thanks for replies, I seriously think Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson or Don Dokken are guys who with some training could sing opera. Sebastian Bach of Skid Row wound up on Broadway singing in Jesus Christ Superstar and Rocky Horror.

Judas Priest Rob Halford should be on Game of Thrones--he looks like a metallic lord of some dark forbidding house. Even his name works, "I am Lord Robert, House of Halford, sigil, two guitars and a microphone in flames."

Mr. Dickinson seems to have survived a cancer scare, a 2 finger metal salute for his recovery and remission.

That's a funny story about Rick Allen and real estate--time share makes sense, go on tour, come home, head to studio recording, come home.

Did Joe Elliot and the lads drop by for the housewarming party??

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards,

"From the Night's Watch Library......"

Seeing* Metallica at Glastonbury last year was an eye-opener. For those that don't know, Glastonbury is a very mainstream festival that always sells out before the acts are even announced, so that crowd of thousands would have bought their tickets expecting, I dunno, Lady Gaga or U2 or something - but all of them were singing along to 80s/90s thrash, they knew the songs almost as well as the crowd at, say, Sonisphere would have. Really goes to show how far the influence has spread. Though I'm still gutted we didn't have Maiden at the Olympic opening ceremony. :(

*on the telly, I didn't go

I do of course, but being younger (I was born in 1991), I never lived that pure golden age, and even though I love those big classic bands, my favourite remains more younger ones : Nightwish, Iced Earth, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Amorphis, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Hammerfall...

Thanks for replies, I seriously think Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson or Don Dokken are guys who with some training could sing opera. Sebastian Bach of Skid Row wound up on Broadway singing in Jesus Christ Superstar and Rocky Horror.

Don Dokken had a run of the mill Castroto voice, and with years of practice might be able to pick up supporting roles in Baroque operas. I personally know dozens and dozens of opera singers though, and very few of them can sing like Bruce Dickinson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBtLMLQfiRo

I didn't start going to shows until the early 90s but during that decade I saw AC/DC, Metallica and Megadeth among others.

Maiden is my all-time favorite band in case you can't tell :P. Saw them first in 2001 and again in 2013 (avatar is from that show). I was frankly having too much fun at that last show to notice much about how the younger set was reacting to all those classics I grew up on.

I do of course, but being younger (I was born in 1991), I never lived that pure golden age, and even though I love those big classic bands, my favourite remains more younger ones : Nightwish, Iced Earth, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Amorphis, Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, Hammerfall...

I've said it before but it bears repeating - you sir have exceptional taste. :thumbsup:

Hello Ice/Fire Forum Folks, new to the board. Who enjoys/enjoyed the Heavy Metal of the 1980s?? I would call myself a junior metalhead--not totally immersed or obsessed with it--but looking back I give metal credit and the musicians who played it a lot of respect.

They had some fantastic songs, flash, bravado, energy, athleticism, showmanship. Underneath the hair and the leather/chains, there were some excellent musicians and singers. In the 80s, saw David Lee Roth (more hard rock not really metal, but a crazy showman live) with glam metal bands Poison and Cinderella opening. Also saw Def Leppard after the one armed drummer Rick Allen returned from his terrible car accident. Very inspiring. Great moment when he waved to us with his remaining hand.

Later on, in the 2000s, saw Metallica, Scorpions, Dio, a few others. All exciting shows though I was older, and reacted differently. I really got into seeing how these songs affected others at the show, especially Generation Next, expressions on faces, do they still dance and bop up and down, shake fists, make the classic two finger metal salute?? Answer was a resounding yes.

So if anyone wants to share some metal memories, feel free. Motley Crue: "Nothing but a good time...how can I resist?"

Tyrion's Double Axe, thanks, regards

"From the Night's Watch Library..."

First of all, you have a cool username! :thumbsup:

I began listening to metal in 1990, the year AC DC issued their album "The Razor's Edge". One of my cousins got me into metal - because he always played some Iron Maiden when we met.

\m/...\m/

And a very personal memory I'd also like to share.

My grandmother was 88 when Metallica released their black album. I had been very pissed off during the day, and she came up to my room with her crutch (my parents live in a two-story house), sat on a chair and I was listening to that album.

I wanted to know what she was doing in my room, and she looked at me and said, "That's not my style of music, but I'm listening to it, because you like it."

And she really stayed!

Then - I guess at track 6 or so - she got her crutch and left.

I always get tears in my eyes when I listen to that album.

RIP.

My pick of bands: Ensiferum, Amom Amarth, Hammerfall, Iced Earth, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, AC DC, Anthrax (does that count?), Arch Enemy, Anaal Nathrakh, Metallica, Cthonic, and many more.

Archived