a crown for cold silver

jobmartell

Since there was no map in the ebook,the publisher posted one on their site.

A CROWN FOR COLD SILVER: World Map - http://www.orbitbooks.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Marshall_CrownForColdSilver-CrimsonEmpire.jpg

Also,the author is a metal fan. :thumbsup: How many band names can you identify from the map above ?

TP: It was between the first and second revisions, that I had an idea on how I could suggest the heavy metal inspiration for the book. I arranged the names of the 5 bodies of water to form a circle, and even some of the land to help suggest it. Even some of the Gates, fell on the circle.

AM: As Tim mentioned, my deep and abiding love of metal was one of the many influences on the novel, especially when it came to the geography and place names. At the same time, I didn’t want it to be too obvious lest it cheapen or cheesify the narrative. As the novel evolved through various drafts its world became more organic, but even in its final incarnation, the savvy music lover might be able to use the map to decipher a soundtrack for A Crown for Cold Silver.

I was really into this book during it's first half but ended up hating it by the end. There were way too many one note characters that all had the same voice/slang and it became really grating, as well as the intended main characters becoming less interesting and plausible the longer the story went on. The major characters that managed to remain likable and interesting throughout the whole book all met bad ends, which doesn't bode well for the sequels. If someone asked me when I was still only about halfway through this I would have highly recommended it, now, though, I would say not to bother.

A Crown for Cold Silver begins as a comic parody of grim dark fantasies. :) However, from the beginning the signature of grimdark is there, parody or not, which is these guys just cannot shut up. They talk everyone, most of all the reader, to death! Another way one can tell this is a burlesque (there are many including narrator's self-congratulatory opinion of writer's witty cleverness -- which is generally neither witty nor clever and that all the figures in the tale are card board cut-outs of the tipica grimdark characters) is that the chief bad ass protag is -- AN OLD LADY. :laugh:

It also mocks Steve Brust's Vlad Taltos Dragharean series and his Dumas-Khaavren Romances series. Which inevitably will provoke the question, is it possible to mock what began as a mockery already? :fencing:

So me not naming the author in my first post started a semi landslide! Awesome. Either way, my bad. Doesn't matter now. Has the identity of AM been disclosed yet? Also pumped about the addition of the world map, it was one of my complaints early on. Heavy metal fan but no "Eddie" lake or "Dickerson" mountains? Or "run to the hills" hills?

Edit: spellin'

Nope, Marshall's pseudonym's still closed. If the author and the publisher haven't let it slip strategically at this point I can't imagine they're going to.

I've decided to go library on this one due to mixed word-of-mouth [though I like the cut of the book's gib with the middle-aged woman protagonist enough that I'll make sure and buy it if it ends up working for me], so will be some way behind y'all.

Also,the author is a metal fan. :thumbsup: How many band names can you identify from the map above ?

Nope, Marshall's pseudonym's still closed. If the author and the publisher haven't let it slip strategically at this point I can't imagine they're going to.

Okay, if you guys go back to page 3 of this thread, you'll see I provided my rationale for saying that Alex Marshall is a pseudonym for Mark Barrowcliffe. Well, if you read Barrowcliffe's book Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons, and Growing Up Strange, which is about his early life, you'll find that he is a heavy metal fan, and spent a lot of time in heavy metal clubs. CASE CLOSED as far as I am concerned. Alex Marshall IS Mark Barrowcliffe.

Well didn't Abercrombie work on an iron maiden docu at one point? :P

Abercrombie doesn't meet the criteria of having written several novels in other genres. Also, in the Orbit interview in which Alex mentions his metal background, he also coyly says about D&D: "It’s also worth mentioning that I’ve run a few games in my day..." Well so did Barrowcliffe (many games, in fact), as is evident in Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons, and Growing Up Strange, Furthermore, the humor in that book is eerily similar to the humor in A Crown for Cold Silver. Case further closed.

Abercrombie doesn't meet the criteria of having written several novels in other genres. Also, in the Orbit interview in which Alex mentions his metal background, he also coyly says about D&D: "It’s also worth mentioning that I’ve run a few games in my day..." Well so did Barrowcliffe (many games, in fact), as is evident in Elfish Gene: Dungeons, Dragons, and Growing Up Strange, Furthermore, the humor in that book is eerily similar to the humor in A Crown for Cold Silver. Case further closed.

Would be cool if Marshall turns out to be Barrowcliffe aka M.D. Lachlan.His Wolfsangel series is very good. :thumbsup:

Would be cool if Marshall turns out to be Barrowcliffe aka M.D. Lachlan.His Wolfsangel series is very good. :thumbsup:

I think the evidence that they're the same is overwhelming. The evidence in my original argument on page 3 of this thread was pretty convincing to me, and the new evidence on this page just locks it up from my perspective.

I asked Barrowcliffe on teh twitter and he straight-up denied it.

Actually, you didn't ask Barrowcliffe; you asked a character (Mark Alder) played by Barrowcliffe. And his response was "Not me, I’m afraid. I have only 3 right now, ghost-writing jobs aside. Mark Barrowcliffe, Mark Alder, MD Lachlan." He even refers to his real name, Mark Barrowcliffe, essentially in the third person, as an alter ego of Mark Alder. So "Mark Alder" only has those alter egos (and it is he who straight-up denied being Alex Marshall), but the "real" Mark Barrowcliffe also has in addition an Alex Marshall alter ego. To understand this better, recall Bill Clinton's evasive statement re Monica Lewinsky: "I'm going to say this again: I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky." Clinton justified this misrepresentation via dubious semantics, claiming that in his mind, her performing oral sex on him did not constitute his having sexual relations with her; whereas, if he had performed oral sex on her, that would have constituted his having sexual relations with her. This is of course willful equivocation to avoid directly lying. I am saying that Barrowcliffe is using the same kind of verbal gymnastics in his use of the words me and I.

Assuming he is Alex Marshall, how else would you have expected him to answer your question anyway? He certainly couldn't say "Yes, I am Alex Marshall." Ignoring your question would have been tantamount to not being able to deny it; hence, would be a tacit "yes." No, his only choices would be to lie or to equivocate in Clintonese, which is what I believe he did, and in the best way possible. Just like Clinton, if he ever is revealed as Alex Marshall, he can perversely defend the answer he gave you, just as I did. And from what I've read in Barrowcliffe's autobiographical account of his early life (Elvish Gene), this is consistent with his personality and would probably appear to him to be humorously clever. Which it is.

Archived