Metal Thread Vol. VIII -- The Angry Red Planet

Xray the Enforcer

We are now listening to original first-wave Christian black metal: Johnny Cash.

I love y'all so very much. Now if we can just get you and Mr. X on the Merle/Waylon/Willie train, all will be well.

I've been listening to Nazareth, Dokken, and Motley Crue for 3 days, when I'm not listening to Gangstagrass. I don't know if that qualifies me for entrance into this thread or not, but you guys can always kick me out, I suppose.

I love y'all so very much. Now if we can just get you and Mr. X on the Merle/Waylon/Willie train, all will be well.

I've been listening to Nazareth, Dokken, and Motley Crue for 3 days, when I'm not listening to Gangstagrass. I don't know if that qualifies me for entrance into this thread or not, but you guys can always kick me out, I suppose.

Aw baby, WE ARE ALREADY ON BOARD.

We love us some Merle/Waylon/Willie plus some HANK. Oh gods, HANK.

Funny enough, my gorgeous hivemind friend, I was listening to Dokken off and on ALL WEEK. I was definitely Standing in the Shadows. That, and Whitesnake to appreciate the Still of the Night.

So, yeah, get in this thread, woman.

Aw baby, WE ARE ALREADY ON BOARD.

We love us some Merle/Waylon/Willie plus some HANK. Oh gods, HANK.

Funny enough, my gorgeous hivemind friend, I was listening to Dokken off and on ALL WEEK. I was definitely Standing in the Shadows. That, and Whitesnake to appreciate the Still of the Night.

So, yeah, get in this thread, woman.

Dokken and The Scorpions were my favorites back in the day. I broke them back out this week and have been loving it. "Still Loving You" is one of my favorite power ballads ever.

I would have made a great groupie for a hair band, I think.

PS - since you guys love Willie, check out his To Lefty, from Willie album - it's Willie Nelson singing Lefty Frizzell songs and it's fantastic.

I honestly can't get into anything without a melody. Atmospheric black metal and melodic death metal are by far the best, and most original genres in metal to me. All these death metal and grungy type metal bands feel so bland and forced. ''Lets play the hardest shit we can''.

I haven't come across anything amazing this year. Feels like every year its just getting worse and worse. This sums up the first few months https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghaa6UWb850

Anyone got a chance to listen to the new Ensiferum album ? If so, is it good ?

I've listened to it 3 or 4 times. While it isn't quite as memorable as their early stuff, it's much better than Unsung Heroes, which I didn't like at all. I get the impression that the band tried to return to the sound and feel of From Afar, and almost succeeded. In short - not quite a classic, but recognizably Ensiferum and thus worth a recommendation.

Thanks for the feedback ! I'm gonna listen to it tonight. I'm curious to see how it ended up... if it's in the vein of From Afar it could be a very strong one !

I wanted to say it fell apart when Jari left as well (since I'm a huge fan of the first two albums), but then I remembered song such as Deathbringer from the Sky, Twilight Tavern, The Longest Journey and One More Magic Potion, and they're among the strongest Ensiferum songs as well.

Impressions:

New Melechesh is solid, and goes back its roots a bit while still retaining some killer riffs

New Enforcer is not as catchy as the last one, but I need more time with it.

Aktor deliver a promising debut in Paranoia. It features the inimitable Professor Black and it's some crazy throwback 80s metal with prog madness. I love it fiercely. It's a good thing Mr. X is so fucking awesome because I would dump a lesser man for Professor Black (he's also the main driver in High Spirits, Dawnbringer, and Superchrist).

Archived