Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 7 [show spoilers, book spoilers past OP]

Seneti

^Thorne and Slynt, neither of whom are credible leaders for different reasons, doesn't count as either competition, or setting the ground for broader mutiny. Right now, the show gives the impression that aside from those two, who everyone hates, everyone in the Watch loves Jon.

It is not enough to set up a good election or an interesting season.

There's not even better competition in the book, though. Slynt was the main concern in the book, not anyone else.

I don't see how the election has anything to do with how interesting the season is or isn't, tbh. Jon's been telegraphed as the next LC, so it's not as if there is going to be any real 'doubt' as to the outcome. Personally, I just want to get the election over with to see how they deal with the rest of the season, which I find much, much more interesting.

There is no make or break point for the series anymore. The make or break point was Season 1 - making a high-budget fantasy show means it has to stick with audiences, and be something special. It's only grown its viewership overtime. Each of the first three seasons were kind of make or break, the show can just coast into Season 7 if it has to at this point.

Season 5 shouldn't drag like the books, considering they're cutting a lot of the fat out, and even a good portion of the meat. What's going to make it great or meh is going to depend on how they allocate screentime. I wonder if they're willing to take that risk to get into more of the minor characters and interesting plots. Tyrion probably needs to be cut back on quite a bit this season. He had 25% more screentime this season than anyone else, and his journey isn't as interesting as a lot of the other material.Sansa and Brienne also need to lose about 10 minutes of their 20min S4 screentime for other developments. Theon, Stannis, and Yara all need to have their screentime expanded.

Well, they cut out Bran completely, so we know they're not afraid to cut down a main character's time. If they bring Tyrion to Meereen pretty quickly, then I could see him still getting a good chunk of screentime, because then his arc will actually be interesting again.

Tyrion trying to manage the political situation could be interesting, especially if we get some variation on the Battle of Fire (likely, since we did get a mention of King Cleon last season). Seeing Tyrion step into a more Tywinesque role would be a pretty big development for his character.

Tyrion trying to manage the political situation could be interesting, especially if we get some variation on the Battle of Fire (likely, since we did get a mention of King Cleon last season). Seeing Tyrion step into a more Tywinesque role would be a pretty big development for his character.

I'm quite sure this will happen... which is a shame.

I'll be super surprised if the show wins any major Emmys in 2015. I expect that the general reaction will be something along the lines of: "Not the best season but it's still good."

Well, the show hasn't won any major Emmy since the first season, and I really don't expect it to win any other no matter how good season 5/6/7 are.

There is no make or break point for the series anymore. The make or break point was Season 1 - making a high-budget fantasy show means it has to stick with audiences, and be something special. It's only grown its viewership overtime. Each of the first three seasons were kind of make or break, the show can just coast into Season 7 if it has to at this point.

Season 5 shouldn't drag like the books, considering they're cutting a lot of the fat out, and even a good portion of the meat. What's going to make it great or meh is going to depend on how they allocate screentime. I wonder if they're willing to take that risk to get into more of the minor characters and interesting plots. Tyrion probably needs to be cut back on quite a bit this season. He had 25% more screentime this season than anyone else, and his journey isn't as interesting as a lot of the other material.Sansa and Brienne also need to lose about 10 minutes of their 20min S4 screentime for other developments. Theon, Stannis, and Yara all need to have their screentime expanded.

This is my main question as well, are they willing to sacrifice screen time to dedicate to minor characters? Even if he arrives to Meereen earlier, does Tyrion have enough material to be in 9 episodes? The same goes for Arya and Sansa.

I'm really curious to see the northern storyline, since it's the best and (in my opinion) a fundamental part from AFFC/ADWD, yet other than Jon, there's no "fan favorite" there, and D&D don't have a good record when it comes to Greyjoys and Baratheons.

Well, the show hasn't won any major Emmy since the first season, and I really don't expect it to win any other no matter how good season 5/6/7 are.

Now that Breaking Bad's done the awards will probably go to shows like True Detective.

This is my main question as well, are they willing to sacrifice screen time to dedicate to minor characters? Even if he arrives to Meereen earlier, does Tyrion have enough material to be in 9 episodes? The same goes for Arya and Sansa.

I'm really curious to see the northern storyline, since it's the best and (in my opinion) a fundamental part from AFFC/ADWD, yet other than Jon, there's no "fan favorite" there, and D&D don't have a good record when it comes to Greyjoys and Baratheons.

Many Unsullied fell in love with Tywin in season 3, so I think it's possible for the same thing to happen with Stannis and/or Roose in season 5.

There have been a decent amount of deaths though to free up a lot of screentime in S5. Doran will probably take Oberyn's 30 minutes. Tywin's 30 minutes is free for anyone. Joffrey's 13 minutes is free. Bran's arc of 13 minutes is free. Lysa's 10 minutes is gone. Grenn, Karl, and Pyp had a combined 30 minutes that are free. Shae's 10 minutes is gone. Ygritte, Locke, Styr - their 8 minutes each or so is free. Poliver's 5 minutes is gone, so is Donto's.

There's a decent amount of time coming off the books that can be put elsewhere, a decent amount of it will go to Dorne, but even still...after you give each of the Sand Snakes and Aero 12 minutes each, Doran 30, Trystane and Myrcella 15, High Sparrow 20, Yezzan 10... There is still about 70 minutes of free time to go wherever the show wants, whether its White Harbor, Moar Dorne, Tyrion, Jeyne, etc.

I'm beginning to think they're setting Olly up to be

There have been a decent amount of deaths though to free up a lot of screentime in S5. Doran will probably take Oberyn's 30 minutes. Tywin's 30 minutes is free for anyone. Joffrey's 13 minutes is free. Bran's arc of 13 minutes is free. Lysa's 10 minutes is gone. Grenn, Karl, and Pyp had a combined 30 minutes that are free. Shae's 10 minutes is gone. Ygritte, Locke, Styr - their 8 minutes each or so is free. Poliver's 5 minutes is gone, so is Donto's.

There's a decent amount of time coming off the books that can be put elsewhere, a decent amount of it will go to Dorne, but even still...after you give each of the Sand Snakes and Aero 12 minutes each, Doran 30, Trystane and Myrcella 15, High Sparrow 20, Yezzan 10... There is still about 70 minutes of free time to go wherever the show wants, whether its White Harbor, Moar Dorne, Tyrion, Jeyne, etc.

D&D love Margaery so she'll probably get a boost in screentime.

the northern storyline is by far the best storyline in feast and dance, so let's hope it gets the screen time it deserves. D&D love theon greyjoy, they have openly admitted that theon is there favorite character. this still gives me hope for a farya and a northern lord to oppose ramsay and roose. without those components, the entire storyline around theon crumbles. So let's hope they execute it well.

the northern storyline is by far the best storyline in feast and dance, so let's hope it gets the screen time it deserves. D&D love theon greyjoy, they have openly admitted that theon is there favorite character. this still gives me hope for a farya and a northern lord to oppose ramsay and roose. without those components, the entire storyline around theon crumbles. So let's hope they execute it well.

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please. Most of the Unsullied I know don't even know Roose's name. That needs to change!

I didn't like the way they handled Theon's scenes in the show, in season 2 the writing wasn't so good IMO, could have easily been much better (generally, that goes for almost anything after "Garden of Bones"), and I'm really disappointed with their version of Reek... He doesn't look different at all. Hell, he doesn't even have a beard... plus in seasons 3 and 4 the Ironborn are pretty much nonexistent, and we'll not be getting Aeron and Victarion, probably not even Euron... If Theon's their favorite character, it doesn't really show.

Archived