What are you listening to? Vol XVII: Fragments of the past flash before my eyes

Ferrum Aeternum

Dire Straits - Making Movies. It really is a timeless album. This was back when the type of music we associate with the middle classes, unlike the rampant hordes of derivative and chronically biege singer-songwriter types we've had to stomach for a few decades, could actually be good. I still think Brothers in Arms is very overrrated, though. It has no Tunnel of Love or Romeo and Juliet on it.

Oh, hi there ES! I was starting to listen to some old Mark Knopfler related stuff because you mentioned his work with Emmylou Harris. To my shame I must admit that I she wasn't on my radar until a couple of years ago when Crowelogy by the Black Crows came out. The Gram Parsons "She" was the song that I loved above all the old Crows' songs that I bought the album for. I like my Black Crows version better than this Gram Parsons version, but they used a low bitrate or something on this youtube upload. It sounds compressed and muffled.

Killer Snark, my favorite Dire Straits album is probably Communiqué or their first selftitled one, but Making Movies is really good. Romeo and Juliet is myfavorite song on their live album Alchemy.

Mark Knopfler also produced the album"Knife" of Aztec Camera, a friend and I have seen them on a side stage at a festival in 1983 or 84 (we were one third of the entire audiece). It would be one of my favorite albums if it wasn't for the synthesizer sounds, but Roddy Frame has a great voice and is a very good songwriter. Aztec Camera - Head is Happy (Heart's Insane)

Lykos - I played Dire Straits' debut earlier. It's rather good. An album I sometimes go through phases of playing repeatedly when I'm writing is My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, which likewise was an album I got into the habit of playing a lot on Youtube first before I decided I had to own it on CD. I reckon I'll buy a few Dire Straits albums, but I'm building my film collection a bit more first.

Oh, hi there ES! I was starting to listen to some old Mark Knopfler related stuff because you mentioned his work with Emmylou Harris. To my shame I must admit that I she wasn't on my radar until a couple of years ago when Crowelogy by the Black Crows came out. The Gram Parsons "She" was the song that I loved above all the old Crows' songs that I bought the album for. I like my Black Crows version better than

, but they used a low bitrate or something on
. It sounds compressed and muffled.

Mark Knopfler also produced the album"Knife" of Aztec Camera, a friend and I have seen them on a side stage at a festival in 1983 or 84 (we were one third of the entire audiece). It would be one of my favorite albums if it wasn't for the synthesizer sounds, but Roddy Frame has a great voice and is a very good songwriter.

Lykos, thanks so much for the links. Good stuff. :)

Listening to a lot of Guns n' Roses. Appetite for Destruction must be top 5 of the best rock almbums ever made. Every damn song is brilliant and everything just works. So many songs that went on to become huge in pop culture too.

:agree: You're totally right about that.

Ramin Djawadi - Don't die with a clean sword

And now for a classic:

Blind Guardian - Lord of the Rings

What are some great songs for wallowing in depression???.....ya know for a friend.

So far I have

-The Weight by The Band

-Broken by Jake Bugg

-Whiter Shade of Pale

-All the Faces by Creed Bratton from The Office(acoustic version)

-

This song's pretty fucking depressing IMO

Brick - Ben Folds Five

She Had The World - PANIC! AT THE DISCO

ETA I'll add more

You tell me what you think :)

Post-punk. Great for wallowing. Music you can just lie in the dark and drown in...but also make you feel something so good for depression.

A few good examples;

Lowlife - Swell

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AmbVtJTBDyQ

Sisters of Mercy - Some Kind of Stranger

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xGD7mPcqeO4

The Cure - All Cats Are Grey

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKX-VekF2s

Clan of Xymox - Michelle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muWoV_VHGGo

The Smiths - Unloveable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=muWoV_VHGGo

Joy Division - Disorder

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fhCLalLXHP4

good songs for listening to in the dark and drowning in for a bit.

What are some great songs for wallowing in depression???.....ya know for a friend.

So far I have

-The Weight by The Band

-Broken by Jake Bugg

-Whiter Shade of Pale

-

The Band has way more depressing stuff - I'd try "It makes no difference" or "Bessie Smith" if it's love related.

Retrovertigo - Mr. Bungle

Take me home country roads - Toots and the Maytals

Struggling man - original is good but try Merle Saunders

Carolina in the Pines - Quicksliver w Doyle Lawson

something you ain't got - Cracker

Of course the obvious answer is to just go full on Alice in Chains. Can't go wrong with "over now" "would" "down in a hole" "angry chair" "junkhead" etc.

So far I have

-The Weight by The Band

-Broken by Jake Bugg

-Whiter Shade of Pale

-

Backyard Babies. Poets of the Fall.

So far I have

-The Weight by The Band

-Broken by Jake Bugg

-Whiter Shade of Pale

-

Almost anything by Aimee Mann (don't use it, if the situation is serious!) - Just like anyone, - It's not. The same warning goes for this Dylan song, Antony & Bryce Dessner - I was young when I left home.

A few years ago I made some sugestions that didn't let you drop into a bottomless pit. Songs for the dark season. (A working link to the intro.)

Archived